[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Bought a blank Captain America shield >Asked relative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 20170806_212709_HDR.jpg (368KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_212709_HDR.jpg
368KB, 1280x720px
>Bought a blank Captain America shield
>Asked relative who's painted cars professionally for 20+ years to help
>Relative agrees
>Shield arrives
>Buy paint and all other materials
>Relative finds every excuse in the book to not take a weekend to help with it
>2 months pass
>Last night, say fuck it and do it myself
>Watch a ton of videos of people with the exact same one
>Paint goes on fairly evenly but when inspected 24 hours later, is dusty and comes off on my hands

Well, fuck. How do I fix it? I gave it a good acetone bath before beginning, wore surgical gloves, and worked in a ventilated, but not windy or dusty environment. Do I sand it, or spray it down with the backyard hose, or what? I've never done anything like this before. If sanding is the option, how do I do it to keep the circular brushed look on the metal?
>>
you should be able to use some kind of solvent to get it off without ruining the brushed finish. Acetone would be my first stop.
>>
>>1223473
I think that might be normal, there's usually a very fine mist of paint that ends up around the area you're painting and turns into dust. Well at least for auto body paint. Why aren't you clear coating it?
>>
>>1223478

Thanks!
>>
>>1223487

I didn't want it to have a super shiny finish like some DIYs I've seen. I wanted it to be more matte, like in the movies.
>>
>>1223491
you can get matte and satin clear coats.
>>
Sand, clean, prime, scuff, prime, scuff paint.
>>
>>1223473
Acetone or paint stripper.

Make sure you are using a primer, and that you clean the bare metal with alcohol before you paint, and don't leave fingerprints etc on it afterwards. 90% of painting is preparing the surface.
>>
>>1223473
>I gave it a good acetone bath before beginning
Did you degrease and sand it before the cleaning?
>>
>>1223473
You posted a painting thread here? You didn't even inb4? Come on dude, are you trying to MAKE me post it? I'm not going to, it's too easy. It's like the girl that just rolls over and spreads her legs: no challenge, so I just can't.

Also, is it aluminum OP? If you're trying to paint aluminum and didn't at least Google that shit, shame on you.
>>
You don't sound like a pro, so you probably didn't put a shot of black in the paint. Try that.
>>
>>1223491
What the fuck are you doing OP?

>Paint goes on fairly evenly but when inspected 24 hours later, is dusty
You left the paint exposed to the elements so no surprise it's just dust and crap on it
>and comes off on my hands
>I didn't want it to have a super shiny finish like some DIYs I've seen
Clear coat it with matte you dunce
>>
File: 1499479077155.png (50KB, 255x204px) Image search: [Google]
1499479077155.png
50KB, 255x204px
>>1223556
>>
>>1223473
pressure wash it at a car wash to get the paint thinner off. unless that would dent it. you gotta make sure all the shipping grease and cleaning material is off. even if there is a lot of sand on it it'll be fugged. make sure the air isn't all dusty from sand blasting when you paint. maybe use a primer too. and a clear coat
>>
>>1223473
sand off the paint, or use paint thinner. you might be able to get away with a hose gun thingy after for no less than 20 minutes then rinsing it with a rag, sponge, and just water in a bath tub. dry instantly with a rag. if rust shoes up just hit it with steel wool and get primer on it. avoid getting paint thinner in your bath tub.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.