[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi Diyrs, hoping for some help with some ideias and id like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 22

File: 20170730_152300.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_152300.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hi Diyrs, hoping for some help with some ideias and id like to have some input from you guys.
I recently traveled to guiné bissau, a small country in west africa (very third worldish) its an ex portuguese colony and i went to visit.
And I ended up considering buying a bit of land there, build a house and whatnot.
Now bear in mind this plan is quite fresh in my mind and i would like to give a quick background on what i saw because even most portuguese arent too aware of GB and we were owned the colony.
- very poor county with only caju export and car imports looking like a way to make some cash.
- The country since its independence in 1974 hasnt have a goverment that ended its term, its either being ousted or civil war or even ended up slicing up the president.
- metal detectors at the airport work but you can walk past regardless meaning that even after they apply western rules they themselves ignore them.
- Its been called a narco state because nobody really runs the place and each time i tried to get an official answer on a few topics like legalization of a gun, piece of land, getting eletricity set up or whatever the answer is vague and clearly confused even with oficials.
So up until now its not very stable but much like sierre lione and liberia, life goes on in those places. And Land is cheap.
therefore i was thinking of buying up a piece of land (500 to 1500 euros a piece) and build a house that could house me, have some chickens and pigs and goats as they usually have and plant some mango and banana trees, caju and rice etc.
Now the few days i was there it really pissed down and the houses and hotel i was at, had water coming in.
It seamed usual for them and an hour later it was clean. Apparently the country has a very high water table so most rains will cause floods. Ill try to post some pics.
>>
File: 20170728_094445.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_094445.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Me being an inovative guy, asked around and found out that the usual way for whites to build, is to ship in the construction materials to bissau and use local hands to build a house.
And this brings me to the question on how to build and what to build.
I thought about compressed earth bricks that i saw a youtuber doing in A Gambia, looked briliant and cheap but im unsure of the sturdiness due to water pressure. And this makes for a one floor building.
Locals also sell this block that looks sun dried but has two great big hollow parts that looks sorta flimsy. I'm unsure on how to test it for strenght and whatnot.
Regular european looking bricks make it quite expensive making for very small house due to finacial constraints.
Common sense would tell me to build what locals build because thats what works, but my problem is that most of the recent stuff is just western buildings that look like they are breaking up meaning they just imported without local knowledge.

All in all I'd like ideas, or comments, or a pdf document that might help me or youtube that might guide me.
anything from building in that enviroment, to crops, to fortifing myself in my caju infested palace for the next coup d'etat.
Worst comes to the worst this thread is a thought execise ....Or i get called an idiot.

Gracias
>>
Get /pol/ to think they can start a micronation there, I think they've all forgotten about their last hilarious failure

Get some 6/10 brunette girl to make youtube videos where she repeats basic /pol/ talking points and then also talks about your plan to start a new micronation

Use the money they donate to build your own warlord compound with hired guards

When they realize you ripped them off, what are they gonna do- you've got the guns and guards
>>
>>1222598

>The country

Being white is probably your biggest problem, when they decide to chimp out, you ded along with all your chickens. But that is entirely a different topic more suitable on pol.

>The house

Local materials and methods are probably the cheapest, however you should still make your own improvements, like raising the ground floor to above flood levels. Use concrete if unsure. Overbuild if unsure. Go taller if unsure.

Also without any government or authority issues you can build whatever the fuck zombie fortress house you want, which is a plus.
>>
>>1222598
>No government
>So I'm buying land

No you're not, you're being scammed by a nigger with the wise idea to sell land that he doesn't own because no one monitors the land ownership, which is obvious considering the entire country looks like Africa shit out an even worse nation, culturally enriched it with Muslims, Indians and Jews, then killed them off to reclaim the literal garbage pile that is "3rd world countryland."

There's a reason its cheap. You could die at any moment there. If the locals don't murder you for your white boy money, the deathtrap infrastructure or organized crime will.
>>
>>1222614
If you can defend your land, it is your land. That can be with pen or sword. Petty theft in the markets is the most common crime there. They target whites specifically for that. That's a "wrong neighborhood" type of thing though. You also need to stick to the designated roadways/paths because there are still landmines in the area. Don't use shady cabs or cabs with a passenger already in them. Never use the bus system. Always drive on main streets, never take shortcuts or allow a cabbie to use a shortcut. Never allow a cabbie to pick up anyone else while you are in the cab. Always haggle the fare for the taxi before using it.
>>
File: 20170728_191657.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170728_191657.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1222611
>whatever the fuck zombie

I'm not too worried about political instability, or i wouldn't even bother, I'm also no the only white guy there, plenty people are there living and eating so ignoring the safety concerns i'll press on.
The last troubles were the killing of the president, it didnt affect the population, and if the worse comes to the worst, I intend on having a couple of guns and a sturdy wall and a radio. Everytime its happened whites werent attacked and the portuguese air force went in to get europeans out.
I can also handle my business enough to make a few wannabe soldiers run.

my major worries in this thread would be actual building a house and a wall not an armed compound (if i thought i needed that i wouldnt bother), I'm not thinking about how they will cut off my nose and fuck me to death for my big bucks.

Is there any way to see the flood level water apart from sitting in the place i want and waiting for it to flood over?

I ask this because the house i was staying at, had a strange design, because it was walled in with a 1.5 meter Wall all around. the house itself stood on a 25 cm slab. and what would be the garden was flooded.
Now the strange part was, the ouside part of the walled área was slightly bellow that level and was dry ( well rice paddy dry)

They had a sort of big lake dyked in. I think it was poor building, mainly because nobody was using it and its main export seemed to be mosquitos.
>>
>>1222639
>How to know flood level

Low tech approach: a stick in the ground, check when flooded

More modern approach: check with any local data from whatever sources i.e. weather station or any survey map, ask neighbors, check nearby buildings, check local topology and make educated guesses with all the above

And then add 300 mm above that to be your interior floor level to play safe.

Basically you don't build a slab, you build an entire elevated floor above the ground, on either load bearing walls or on columns.

>Garden flooded

If the area is flooded, no amount of drainage will solve the flood because it is a flood. But of course you still need drainage properly designed.

>1.5 m wall

Not much use other than a clear boundary to keep the chicken in and neighbors out, but make sure it has drains.

>mosquitos

If it is a area wide problem, perhaps plant a garden and get loads of spiders and shit and make the entire local ecology work for you
>>
get a shipping container
put it on stilts

it just might be trashy enough to fit in
>>
File: 20170729_180133.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_180133.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1222661
>you build an entire elevated floor above the ground, on either load bearing walls or on columns.
>>1222661

Thanks for the ideias, it all makes sense apart from this part.

How do i make it that it doesnt sink or wash away when a flood comes in.
A load bearing Wall made out of compressed bricks?

Wouldnt it be better to make a big fuck off slab and put the house on that, at a height that any water would be diverged around?
And the only way it moved is if a tsunami came in and moved the actual slab?
I think most of the land is clay, it was very red.
>>
>>1222675
>big fuck off slab

Let's say your flood level is 200 mm, add 300 mm and you have a 500 mm floor level, adding in foundation depth you are making a big fuck off slab that is close to 1200 mm thick.

At this point you might as well just build an artificial hill to build on.

Why not just mimic local houses? Or do they just let them flood whatever is on the ground floor?
>>
File: 20170803_192110.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_192110.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1222682
well local houses seem to look a lil wobbly, water does come in bad floods. So at best id mimic and add a little extra height like you said.

Since i was thinking of making something myself, i want to make it better than their usual crappy looking stuff.

I guess i should go around and look closer at good exemples to follow and make sure i stay away from bad ones
>>
File: 1501441584627.jpg (27KB, 479x160px) Image search: [Google]
1501441584627.jpg
27KB, 479x160px
>>1222675
>tfw that street is in 100 times better shape than mine and I live in the fucking usa
>>
File: 20170730_152321.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_152321.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1222712
>better shape

does it also flood like that?
>>
>>1222712
Red state, huh?
>>
>>1222715
California here, streets are a nightmare. We have the highest gas and vehicle taxes in the country and the worst roads. Half of our road taxes disappears in the general fund and goes to fund the single mother welfare state instead of fucking roads.

Get fucked with your red/blue class warfare shit. Your insinuation is fucking false anyway you fucking cunt.
>>
>>1222721
Really? I live in California also. North State. Let me tell you the roads here are so much better than the ones I saw in Texas when I was in the Army. Night and day difference. The roads in Texas reminded me a lot of the shitty streets I saw in Tijuana. Drivers are about the same too. This was around Waco, though. Not a real city like Austin or Dallas.
>>
File: flooding.jpg (81KB, 755x541px) Image search: [Google]
flooding.jpg
81KB, 755x541px
>>1222714
Yes, actually it does. they raised the road in one bad place, but there's still 2 other sections where it is too low to drive across when the floods hit. Flooding happens 4-6 times a year. Not that you can tell what much of anything is in this image.

>>1222715
US infrastructure has been shit for the past 20+ years. Where I live some private companies and farmers stated patching the road themselves and things are a bit better. The bridges on the other hand are nightmares since no one will repair them for fear of being that guy who repaired it and it fell. They let the state repair those.
>>
File: 20170804_101207.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_101207.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1222787

ill take your word for it, it sounds pretty disturbing, I wasnt aware the states had such bad places.
I guess such a massive country has to have some problems but i'd think they have the man power and economic power to fix those problems.

why wouldnt they fix it? some sort of state or local council should be called to responsibility.

3rd world county almost looks nice
>>
>>1222800
A place as wide as the US is bound to have people living in flood plains.
Those guys just build houses on stilts.
>>
>>1222800
>why wouldnt they fix it? some sort of state or local council should be called to responsibility.
In the US, "responsibility" is just a club to beat the poors with. If you've ever wondered what feudalism was like, you can come over here and step off the beaten path to see it live and in action.
>>
>>1222800
Each state is it's own country state in the USA. The "united" part of the USA hints at that. There's federal level stuff and state level stuff. Infrastructure is state level. A poor state won't be able to do as much. Federal funding will only help for main highways so goods traveling through the state won't get slowed down. If a state goes against federal laws they get some forms of funding removed. Like less money for schools for instance. Which is why states make weed legal in some forms yet on the federal level it is still illegal.

When it comes to infrastructure, there's a lot of finger point as to who is to blame and who should fix it. Just traveling from county to county, within 1 state you can have vastly different quality of infrastructure. You can be driving on roads that look like your photo in one county then hit smooth beautiful roads as you cross the county line.
>>
>>1222821
Some places do an "adopt a highway" style fundraiser, where they shill at drivers using the road to donate to maintain the roads that they use.
You could complain and say that your taxes are supposed to be used towards fixing those damn roads, but what can you do.
I will say though, that the "adopt-a-highway" system works pretty well. Smooth.
>>
>>1222715
New York actually, prick.
>>
>>1222821
>tfw you can tell you've left your county when it no longer sounds like you're driving on a cheese grater.
>>
>>1222800
The US only looks good in big cities, anywhere else is a miserable shit hole full of corruption 8/10 times. This is more pol tier in subject though, wish you luck op sounds like a fun project.
>>
File: djau.jpg (132KB, 1486x640px) Image search: [Google]
djau.jpg
132KB, 1486x640px
>>1222917

thank you. id plan to have something like this, perhaps a lil stronger looking.
But not something that looked like it has too much valuable stuff, that would make it a target.
>>
File: djau5.jpg (81KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
djau5.jpg
81KB, 960x716px
>>1223008
>>
File: 20170804_113611.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_113611.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1222669
someone beat me to it
>>
>>1222906
Oh fuck, I kekked.

*sigh*

>>1223008
That looks pretty nice. There's a guy around here who had the shittiest looking place you've ever seen. It is a big ass ugly square block building with multiple layers of peeling paint, shitty looking windows, etc. However, on the inside it is one of the most swank places I've ever seen. A real bachelor pad with pool table, Jacuzzi, marble floors, amazing lighting, interior stained glass windows (the ugly outdoor windows are privacy glass), skylights, etc. He has living bamboo lining the roof so no one can see what is up there. It is a hot tub, deck, bar, etc. I get some of dead the bamboo an it is around 16-18 feet tall.
>>
like this
>>
>>1223063
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex1Nug-kEig
>>
Dude, I'm Brazilian and frankly I admire your audacity but the idea is not good.
Brazil is not a rich country but we are not miserable like those of Africa or our Latin neighbors and here has a lot of serious problems, it is possible to live well in medium-sized cities in the interior of the states and enjoy the comfort of a lifetime (Except for Rio de Janeiro which is a drug-dominated state), there is a reasonable infrastructure. (Roads are not good compared to the US or Europe but they do not even compare with the Of the photos you posted.) And you have access to Health and basic services without problems (We have a public health system, and believe me it's a lot better than Obamacare.), This should be taken into consideration.
Public security is a major problem in large cities and throughout the North and Northeast of Brazil (the part that most resembles the rest of Latin America.), Landowners, here popularly called "Coroneis" control militias and command The region, and in Rio de Janeiro the city and state are controlled by corrupt traffickers and police officers (Watch the movie "Tropa de Elite", it was also released in English.
Consider going to live in the interior of Brazil, or even Argentina, do not go to Africa, it's a bad idea, if you want adventure come live in the Amazon, there are Indians and Loggers at war, like the old American West.
>>
>>1223071
This, look up what people do in coastal regions that are prone to tropical storms and hurricanes to keep their houses from flooding. You drill and pour concrete piers (or dig/hammer in treated lumber poles) well above what the flood stage is expected to be and then start building your house on that.
>>
>>1222601
Build it on stilts like they do by skiatook oklahoma.
>>
>>1222604
This. The tards are buying a tank they cant even drive on city streets to parade around at rallies.

>mfw the right side is the lucky side. We already all bought tanks with our jobs and taxes.

Holy kek
>>
OP are you literally retarded?how long did you stay there? do you have any idea what 3rd world and especially Africa means? you will have thousands of "bureaucratic" problems from "officials" who would want to be bribed in every stage of your plan. if you manage to finally build get ready for round 2 to have water,electricity etc. and then they will rob you of your house either with guns or with an official decision like they did in the past in many countries with white's homes,shops,farms.not to mention aids,malaria, other strange infections,total abscence of infrastructures,hospitals etc.

where are you from?do you have friends there who know the situation to get help?i only suggest to do it if you are wanted by the police or the mafia back in europe.

sorry for my english and good luck
>>
>>1223071
I'd do something like this, but less extreme. You probably only need to raise your ground floor up 400-500mm above ground level to be flood proof even in the worst storms if your lands floods like those pics. Plus you can then design your house so conveciton brings cool air up into the house (make sure you use fuck loads of insect mesh so mosquites dont rape you).
>>
>>1223849
So, basically, Kentucky.
>>
>>1223853
At this point might as well raise the crawl space to at least >1000 mm so you can get under it if necessary, also slightly better for ventilation.
>>
File: House-Built-in-Floodzone[1].jpg (99KB, 980x470px) Image search: [Google]
House-Built-in-Floodzone[1].jpg
99KB, 980x470px
>>1223870
Actually, OP really needs to conduct a full on research into buildings in flood prone areas, it is a well established topic. In some parts of the world where flooding is usual they have traditional houses built in a way to mitigate that. OP really just need to spend some hours just googling "home design in flood areas" rather than trying to reinvent a wheel.
>>
File: 20170803_134306.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_134306.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1223888

i dont want to re invent anything, i do infact like to think about stuff well, and i do try to observe local knowledge, it just seemed that being 3rd world local knowledge it looked pretty shitty, and tried diferente aproches.

local stuff looked flooded and mud was everywhere, now i did Google before asking around here. but those pictures showed just seem so unrealistic for that setting that i have to question how well it would work.

again im just thinking about it, its not like ive have my heart set on doing this and already shipped my car over.

Its a thought process that im happy to share and get input. even if most people dislike the ideia.
>>
>>1223911
Clearly from the pictures you have posted, the locals can't into designing houses and just flood their shit whenever it rains. Stop looking at their shit, but look at better examples from more advanced civilizations, then try to make it with local materials instead.
>>
File: IMG-20170808-WA0000.jpg (85KB, 1080x606px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170808-WA0000.jpg
85KB, 1080x606px
>>1223931
That's what I believe, local buildings look bad.
Só I want to make sure to observe as much as I can
>>
>>1224162
Looks like a country with zero knowledge in engineering or architecture but wants to build "western" houses and the locals just tries to do some random ineffective shit to keep out the flood and fails absolutely. If you build one good house, you can start a property business of building houses that won't flood, would probably make you popular.
>>
>>1224167
what they're really missing is a proper storm drainage system, then they could have all the gucci western houses they want. Bonus points for turning it into a sewer system.

that's a literal pipe dream though.
>>
All of the pics you posted are urban (you talked about having a farm) and none of them include new construction. Can you address my curiosity?
>>
File: 20170804_114202.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_114202.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1224195
>Can you address my curiosity?

well i can try, most of the photos are taken in and around the hotel where i was staying, since it was raining alot and intermitantly i didnt wander off too far with the camera. so i dont have tons of photos as i would normally take.
this being said this photo is one of the places i was shown to buy a piece of land, a block of about 100 meters by 50. it was in a dip of land so i thought it was extra prone to flood so i said no.

I have to return in couple of months to check out more places and rent my own jeep.

U also noted that no new constructions, and id say there arent many new ones, i saw a big hotel with about 10 floors coming up. very nice near the parliament. but apart from that i didnt see big infra going up. just people redoing some houses.
>>
File: 20170803_193445.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170803_193445.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1224195
recently painted houses near the dock
>>
File: IMG-20170808-WA0003.jpg (129KB, 1080x607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170808-WA0003.jpg
129KB, 1080x607px
>>1224195
And this house was where I also stayed. It's in the sticks, lots of rice farming around .
Photo of the "garden"
>>
>>1224315
How much for that plot?
>>
>>1223861
Or southern Indiana, southern Illinois, or just about anywhere else in the USA?
>>
>>
>>1224685

expecting tsunami?
>>
>>1224644
His first offer was 1000 euros. Só I expect that I could get it for less.
I didn't like the surrounding area and the exact place was a bit was a dip.

Inside the actual city I would get a piece of land. A square of 20 meters for about 500 euros.
>>
>>1224685
comfy
>>
>>1224685
>A E S T H E T I C
survives the ground flood, only to be decapited by flying corrugated sheet metal during the first mild breeze.
>>
>>1224685
fucking hell that looks comfy
>>
>>1224790
you have a whack idea of what comfy means anon
>>
>>1224801
It looks like a well thought out construction rather than the ghetto sheet metal container vibe it got going that is probably some sort of camouflage. I bet it is rather kitted out inside.
>>
>>1222721
Kek. This is what happens when liberals or democrates are in charge of anything ever. As a former truckerfag i been to all corners of the us accessible by highway besides alaska.

You can tell a HUGE difference between red blooded patriots runing things amd commie fuckboi dems and libs shitting all over
>>
>>1222859
>insinuating that isnt the single shittiest state in america next to commiefornia

Fucking yankees dont even...
>>
>>1223071
Shit anon. That middle deck are is 10/10 legit.
>>
I always wanted to do something like this. Live in a different country that is tropical and wasn't 1st world.
>>
File: IMG-20170809-WA0015.jpg (56KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170809-WA0015.jpg
56KB, 720x540px
>>1224851
Come join me . It's cheap as fuck
>>
>>1223911
like the glass shards embedded on the top of that wall... saw that same thing in the Philippines.
>>
File: IMG-20170810-WA0002.jpg (33KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170810-WA0002.jpg
33KB, 480x720px
Does any one know if those homemade bricks cam survive a flood?
Or how to make them not turn into mud.again
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.