[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a cheap cleanup sink in my utility/laundry/mud

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: utility sink.png (13KB, 331x451px) Image search: [Google]
utility sink.png
13KB, 331x451px
I want to make a cheap cleanup sink in my utility/laundry/mud room, pic related (dotted lines are proposed additions).

I don't think it would be hard to set up overall by tapping into the existing washer water supply and drain, but I wonder if I need to make the sink really tall in order to allow for gravity-fed draining. Or should I put in some kind of pump?
>>
I'm canadian so trade requirements may vary, but for drainage all you need for height is enough for 1/4" drop per 1' off the p trap. And even that isn't necessarily mandatory.

For water supply lines, if you use PEX and sharkbites you'd be go to go.

Do you have any previous experience in plumbing? and/or own a crimping tool for PEX?
>>
>>1222588

I don't have any real experience beyond fixing toilet leaks and cleaning p traps. This seems like a simple enough job for a noob because I'm literally just going to install y-fittings at the cold water supply valve and drain and run a line for each along the wall to the sink, which is going to be a plastic basin with a supply valve at top and a drain at bottom, all sitting on a structure made from 2x4s.
>>
>>1222588

Forgot to add thanks for the info on the slope. I will look into how to work with PEX lines and sharkbite fittings
>>
>>1222587
>but I wonder if I need to make the sink really tall in order to allow for gravity-fed draining

well, anon, you showed the wrong picture then, didn't you? How do we know what level the drain pipe is?

if your plumbing/handyman skills are anything like your communication skills, I'd say hire a pro.
>>
>>1222596
As long as you make sure that you water-test every joint multiple times you should be good. I'd recommend shark bites with PEX, and ABS for the drainage

>>1222597
Sharkbites are considered the goofy way to plumb but is extremely newbie friendly. It's just push in and there's your joint., In the trade we mostly use what is called "crimp rings" for PEX, but the tool for it is around 25-45$ canadian. Do some research before you tackle this though, you don't want to flood your basement.
>>
>>1222596
>Go to home Depot
>Buy whole sink setup
>Buy hose splitter
>Buy 3/8 compression to hose bib adapter or whatever your sink comes with to hose bib
>Rubber hose for drain, fuck the P trap

Bam, you're done. If the drain is too high buy a condensate pump and don't run the water too long.
>>
How long will will the drain line be? It'll need to be vented, and if the distance is too much you'll need to add a new vent closer.
>>
>>1222735

Like 10-12 feet. I'm not sure what you mean by adding a vent closer.
>>
>>1222759
The line needs air to be able to enter it so it drains properly. With no vent it'll gurgle and drain slowly. At that distance you need another vent, or an AAV
>>
File: 318799.image0.jpg (24KB, 319x400px) Image search: [Google]
318799.image0.jpg
24KB, 319x400px
>>1222759
>>1222764
Here's a typical venting system. Your options are AAV, bring the vent up and tie into the existing vent, or send a new vent through the roof. I believe it's still 6-8 inches minimum above the roof.
>>
>>1222764

Will just the DIY sink drain gurgle and drain slowly or will this affect the whole system? Or is that something that can't be answered unless my system is mapped out.
>>
>>1222772
Just that sink. I had improperly vented fixtures in my house, clogs all the time.
>>
>>1222766
wow what the fuck is that pigsty?
where is that necessary? to add in actual separate pipes for venting?
just make sure your run angles and diameter are good and fuck all that bullshit.
>>
>>1222587
I replaced a sink before while adding a washer, and did the same thing, just splitting the water connections with flexible steel hoses

in that case, there was already a drain in the wall from the old sink, so the washer just discharged into the new sink

I'm guessing you're going to need some kind of pump to get the water up high enough into the washer drain
>>
>>1222776
>proper slopes will prevent vacuums
Lol
>>
>>1222775

Hmm. I don't expect this sink to be used very often, so I may still push ahead and just deal with clogs if they come up. I should be able to just disconnect and blast out the drain line occasionally if it gets to that point. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>1222782
There's also the AAV, although they can be pricey. You could also add it later if you find the slow draining unbearable.
>>
>>1222785

Nice, I'll probably go with this. I found one with good reviews on Amazon for $14, I'm fine with that. Thanks for the tips.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.