[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was able to buy a desk I would otherwise not be able to afford

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 20170804_220521.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_220521.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I was able to buy a desk I would otherwise not be able to afford because it was damaged during delivery so the original buyer was allowed to keep it and sent a replacement. Unfortunately, prior to selling the damaged desk he took it upon himself to fix it which he proceeded to half ass. Pic is the damaged area. The leg cracked next to the point where it joins a horizontal support for the drawers. He glued them back together with gorilla glue.

What are my options to fix this?
>>
File: 20170804_220434.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_220434.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Pic related is the back.
>>
>>1222319

Well, you're probably not getting it apart without re-breaking it, let alone cleaning that seam up.

Is it a cosmetic issue? Or are you concerned with the structure?
>>
>>1222320
fill crack with some copper spray-a-gasket to give it a cheap chinese Kintsugi effect
>>
File: 20170804_220546.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_220546.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1222323
It's a bit of both. I'd like to put multiple monitors on the desk and two desktops (it's 7 feet wide,) so I'd definitely like to be sure it can hold the weight. I did also spend $300 on it so I'd like for it to look nice. I though about injecting acetone and regluing, but both the leg and the support are supported elsewhere so I'd have no way top clean up the glue.

>>1222324
I thought about using some sort of puty or epoxy but he did an absolute shit job of realigning as can be seen in this pic.
>>
>>1222324
>fill crack with some copper spray-a-gasket to give it a cheap chinese Kintsugi effect

stealing this for my /hipsterfleecing/ thread

>>1222331
Drill a hole through, squirt in wood glue, hammer in dowel, is what I'd do. maybe in 2, 3 places.

pretty fix, strong fix, not investing hours and hours of work- pick two.
>>
>>1222331

altho if it were mine and i really cared, i'd lift the whole thing up on books (except the broken leg) use acetone or whatever would dissolve the glue, IF that will work, then carefully re-align and then glue + dowel pegs
>>
If all you want is a structural repair, toenail a long lag bolt or a couple screws so they go through both the joint and the crack. Alternately, drill it and use a dowel for the same purpose.

If you want something that's both strong and looks good, you're going to have to cut out the entire joint and splice in a new one, old school woodworker style.
>>
>>1222362
I would use the screws like this Anon suggests, but counterbore the hole, then fill with a plug for the easiest, prettiest fix. Alternatively, I'd rather use pins than dowels, and whatever I did I'd use two part epoxy rather than glue. The worst part would probably be getting the gorilla glue out, but it kind of needs to be taken out to do it right.
>>
>>1222369
The problem with pins is that both the leg and the horizontal support are attached elsewhere so they are both rigid. To get a pin I'd have to drill from the outside which I'd rather avoid. I think I would be able to cut thorough the joint with an xacto knife and then either reglue or use an epoxy.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.