[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey everyone, I'm not really very experienced with diy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Hey everyone,

I'm not really very experienced with diy projects, but I have been spending a bunch of money to have some things shipped from China and they appear to be made almost entirely of this rectangular plastic tubing (about 15mm x 10mm hollow rectangles) cut to various lengths with some holes drilled in for screws and bolts and whatnot. This should be simple enough to make. However, I have no idea where to find this kind of tubing (or if it even qualifies as tubing at all). Do any of you know where I could obtain this kind of material? I looked up and down every aisle at Home Depot and they don't have anything that comes close. Pic related is the longest piece used. I'm also not opposed to learning how to 3d print or cast these pieces myself if necessary, although I'm not sure how I would get them to be hollow if I did that (I would like to stick with the hollow design because it keeps the weight down).
>>
>>1221855
Prolly dicked anon.

Save a lot of stress and maybe order some lengths of aluminum square tubing and bolts off of amazon.
>>
>>1221858
I thought of using aluminum, but the problem is that this will be used as housing for electronics and I would need to insulate it from electricity using a non-flammable material. Also, I suspect cutting and drilling into aluminum is probably more of a pain.
>>
Here is what it looks like from the other relevant angle
>>
>>1221855
you probably have a metal supply store in your area. Google it.

I know these guys in my area can get me anything I need

http://www.albanysteel.net/
>>
>>1221900
Thanks for the tip but metal tends to be much heavier and for my use case would also need to be insulated from electricity with a non-flammable material. I'm specifically looking for plastic because it is lightweight and is not a good conductor of electricity.
>>
>>1221861
>t the problem is that this will be used as housing for electronics and I would need to insulate it from electricity using a non-flammable material.

First of all, aluminum is at least as non-flammable as any plastic.

Secondly, how will this tube come into contact with any conductor? Are you mounting electronic parts directly on the tubes?
>>
>>1221914
>Are you mounting electronic parts directly on the tubes?
Yes
>>
>>1221855
what kind of plastic do you want there are hundreds of kinds
search for plastic extrusion, section, profile.

if you had said where you lived roughly people might have given you some tips.
>>
>>1221922
I live in Seattle, WA.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of plastic it is. It might be PVC. It's not very flexible and seems pretty strong for how thin it is. I'll definitely do some more digging with those keywords. Thanks.
>>
>>1221919
Well shit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.