[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a pretty serious water problem in my basement and I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6055.jpg (2MB, 2000x1662px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6055.jpg
2MB, 2000x1662px
I have a pretty serious water problem in my basement and I can't afford doing an exterior correction at the present time. Whenever there is a downpour, the basement drains in my house fill up with water and it floods the basement. Today was the worst it's been in years. There was probably 3-4 inches of water at the lowest part of the floor.

I am thinking about installing a sump pump in a basin set beneath my floor, and to just pump the water out and under my porch and daylight it just past my porch so it isn't entirely obvious it's there. The water is coming up through the floor drains, but it's also coming up through the cracks in the floor so I know the water pressure under the house should be enough that it'll sufficiently find its way to the sump basin.

Have any of you been in a situation like this where you couldn't afford an exterior solution but tried doing a partial interior solution yourself?
>>
>>1221520
Put check valves in your drains
>>
>>1221536
It would still come up through the floor. My used to be the only house in the area back when it was a farm in the early 20th century. The basement has about 5 drains in it. I think at some point they slaughtered pheasants down there. I think the basement drains are also tied into the drain tilesfor whatever the hell reason. Check valves won't prevent water from coming up through the floor cracks.
>>
yeah old basements, you can't stop the water getting in at all, build a sump, add a pump.

used to work in a hotel which had this fucking dungeon of a basement which was only 4 foot high, for the beer barrels, there was a sump pump in there, without it there would be a pond.

sump pump, get one, it works! :)
>>
>>1221520
it's not that uncommon, that's why sump pumps exist

sounds like you already know what you need to do....probably should consider battery backup
>>
>>1223223
Battery backup 100%

90% of the time the power goes out it is also raining satins dick off...
>>
OK... I had exact same problem with water pressure under basement floor being high and water would seep in through the cracks in the floor every spring especially when it rained for like 3 day straight. in winter basement was fine. we had a super dry year once and basement was fine that year. anyway. fixed it by 1) adding sump with pump and 2) 'french' drain around the perimeter of basement (inside and under the floor). since then ZERO water coming up through the cracks in floor. the sump without the french drain should help. sump is essentially a bucket with holes in it set below the floor. so cut a hole in the floor, dig down a little deeper then your bucket or whatever you will use as the 'sump'. put a lil gravel at the bottom of the hole, drop in your sump, fill in around the sump with more gravel, cement in the gap between the lip of the sump and your floor where you cut the hole. the sump should have a lip that the cement will hold so the sump stays in place in the ground. then you just drop and pump into the sump and attach necessary piping (usually PVC) (plus a check valve) and figure a run for the pipe to exit your basement. plug in pump and your in business.
without the perimeter drain pipe you *might* need a 2nd sump in opposite corner of the basement. the sump will attract the ground water for a certain radius around it - I don't know what that radius distance will be.
some codes will want you to have a sealed cover on the sump for AAAAHHH! RADON!!!
>>
File: uvs130719-003.jpg (750KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
uvs130719-003.jpg
750KB, 1920x1080px
Hello, this is chuck from apple drains here to remind you that if you believe you can do something then I guarantee you can do it. Have a great day!
>>
File: basic sump setup.jpg (102KB, 762x620px) Image search: [Google]
basic sump setup.jpg
102KB, 762x620px
>>1225312
drawing of this.
>>
>>1225328
sump and pump really not that hard to do. adding the french drain around the perimeter is much more work. not so much difficult but messy and hard work.
>>
>>1225331
can usually buy a plastic sump 'kit' as most big box stores. or it could just be a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled in it. larger bucket would be better. maybe a trash can (with holes)? it just has to be large enough to at least fit the pump and have room for the float switch to operate.
>>
>>1225312
>>1225328
>>1225331
>>1225335
oh yeah, also make sure your gutters and downspouts are functioning properly and directing water coming off the roof AWAY from the house's foundation/basement. that always helps too.
>>
File: sump with french drain.jpg (101KB, 764x621px) Image search: [Google]
sump with french drain.jpg
101KB, 764x621px
>>1225328
with french drain pipe draining into sump well...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.