[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I'm gonna check out a project-house later this week.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 654_720x480.jpg (102KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
654_720x480.jpg
102KB, 720x480px
Hey,

I'm gonna check out a project-house later this week. It's listed as "in need of a full renovation". Well I've been snooping around a bit already. In the yard is shipping container I suspect contains building materials and tools. Though one of the upper windows i can see a box which seem to contain building materials.

According to the agent, the house is being sold of as part of an inheritance. My impression is that the person renovating it passed away halfway through. I want to know how long ago this renovation as under way. If there any way i can deduct this from the building materials during the viewing? Are there any dates or other numbers that are printed on packaging and insulation materials?
>>
>>1220548
Dude, pack your shit and run the other way. Rule number 1 in investing in property.

NO REHABS
>>
>>1220564
thanks for answering the question. could you try it again, though?
>>
>>1220548

Sounds exactly like my stone Ghost Ship except I had to bring my own shipping containers. Since shipping containers are already on site, it's a sign from the gods of /diy/
>>
>>1220548
Look for glue. Should avehave something like a best used by date. beMaybe tpaint cans.
Sorry im a phone poster
>>
>>1220609
>beMaybe tpaint cans.

this is your best bet because all custom mixes will have a sticker with the formula and the date. however white paint with a shot of black will not have a sticker but will have B-1 written on gallons and B-5 written on 5 gallon containers.

I know this because I am a pro.
>>
File: IMG_0996[1].jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0996[1].jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1220618
>>1220609
Well, that's exactly what i needed! thanks guys! Any old work by my unfortunate predecessor I should be looking to re-do?

btw. i was planning in building a cool underground cave outta that ol' shipping container, jk.
>>
>>1220570
Sure,

Ummm

SON'T FUCKING REHAB... seriously. Several multimillionaire real estate investors say to run the other way.

As someone who used to build houses i can tell you that a half striped down shithole is not worthy of fixing 9 times out of ten.

My own personal home is an absolute shithike and the bane of my existence. 1 step foward and 2 steps back.

>hot water heater goes out
>replace it
>sewer systwm needs relaid
>replace it
>gas leak
>fix it

And on and on...

You fucking blow your money if you want.

I never will agian
>>
>>1220618
Lost
>>
File: IMG_0675.jpg (16KB, 142x143px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0675.jpg
16KB, 142x143px
>>1220618
>>
I'm interested in seeing some more pictures, for curiosity.
>>
File: p04n811w[1].jpg (48KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
p04n811w[1].jpg
48KB, 1280x640px
>>1220548
I googled your house. It is a 2 bedroom, one "bath". There is no bathtub and the shower is on the other side of the house from the sink. The bedrooms are on a different floor than the toilet, which is super inconvenient let me tell you. You'll break your neck stumbling down the stairs at 3 in the morning when you need to take a piss. Plus, they won't post any pictures of the inside. You know it is completely fucked.

The roof is falling apart, the brickwork needs repair, your windows are probably single pane garbage, no one has painted anything in at least 20 years, and they are unwilling to show pictures of the interior. The yard is an overgrown mess, the lot is tiny, and it is right next to a trailer park. You are also a stone's throw from a major road, so noise will probably be an issue. Hey, you are walking distance from a McDonald's though. Bonus!

The listing claims the place was built in 1995. I find that incredible. How can a house that is just over 20 years old look like it hasn't been maintained in 40 years? On top of that, they want 200 Euro for it. It is 90 square meters of house on 720 square meters of land. I've seen driveways that are bigger than the whole lot. I live in California, one of the most expensive places in the USA to buy a home, and you are paying more than I did for a lot that is 1/3rd the size with an unlivable house on it.

Don't walk, run.
>>
>>1220651
Would you care to list a problem that ISN'T general maintenance?
>>
>>1222627
>2 bedroom
It's THREE bedroom, actually

>The shower is on the other side of the house from the sink
No it isn't

>The roof is falling apart
Based upon what?

>The brickwork
Is fine. Best part of the house, really

>No one has painted anything in at least 20 years

So?

>The yard is over grown

So?

>The noise
Is a non issue in a brick house

>The listing claims it was built
In 1955, not 1995. Please learn to read

>They want 200k euro for it.. california

Bulllllll fuckinnnnnng shhhiiiiiiit
>>
File: 644_2160[1].jpg (114KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
644_2160[1].jpg
114KB, 1024x683px
>>1222652
>It's THREE bedroom, actually
Where I live, if it doesn't have a closet, it is not a bedroom. They legally can't list it one. Sorry, I thought that was universal. My mistake. One toilet/shower for three bedrooms though?

>>The shower is on the other side of the house from the sink
>No it isn't
Hey, you are right. For some reason, I thought that stairway next to the toilet was a sink. In other news, you don't have a bathroom sink? Do you brush your teeth in the shower or the kitchen? Also, you have to shit in a closet? Hope you don't get claustrophobic.

>>The roof is falling apart
>Based upon what?
The pictures in the listing of the missing tiles on the roof (picture related) and rotting eves.

>>The brickwork
>Is fine. Best part of the house, really
Took a look at your chimney. It is missing bricks and needs work. If it needs work than the there are other areas that will need work also. Picture also related, note missing brick on the left side. I think if you do a real inspection you will find that the brickwork is not 'fine'.

>>No one has painted anything in at least 20 years
>So?
Paint protects the wood. Wood that is unprotected rots. Rot damaged wood needs to be repaired or replaced. It is a hassle, especially with a two story house.

To continue on these last three items, they don't have piles of metal scaffolding around your house because everything on the outside was hunky-dory when they stopped work for whatever reason. The situation has not improved since then, I can guaranty you. This is either going to be a very expensive professional renovation or a very difficult DIY one.

More to follow.
>>
File: 640_2160[1].jpg (72KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
640_2160[1].jpg
72KB, 1024x683px
>>1222652
>>1222687
>>The yard is over grown
>So?
More time or more money to fix. The barbwire fence also looks terrible. Like you are living in a prison. Is that common over there? The only place we see barb wire near a house in the US is in the ghetto or out on the ranch.

>>The noise
>Is a non issue in a brick house
You will quickly find that it is an issue with single pane windows. My last place had them. Heat goes right through them, especially with aluminum frames, and you can hear the neighbor's cat fart two houses over.

>In 1955, not 1995. Please learn to read
I checked multiple listings to see if they had more pictures/info and it just so happens that the one I was looking at had a typo. My bad.
Source: https://jumba.nl/Breda/Gageldonksestraat/22

>>They want 200k euro for it.. california
>Bulllllll fuckinnnnnng shhhiiiiiiit
I paid $220k US (186,850 Euro) for my house and moved right in. No down payment required and no PMI (US tax dollars at work, thank you VA loans).

To continue, they don't have piles of metal scaffolding around your house because everything on the outside was hunky-dory when they stopped work for whatever reason. The situation has not improved since then, I can guaranty you. Do you have any shots of the inside? How much is it gonna cost just to get the place livable?

If this place was on my street, and we do have a few brick houses on it, it would sell for about $150k, which is slightly above the price for an empty half acre lot in the same neighborhood. How much does a turn key house in that area cost?
>>
>>1222687
Fine, I'll concede that by your definition, and by definition of some local building codes it may be considered only two bedroom.

In the UK it's common to have the toilet and everything else different rooms. I believe that's why they call it a water closet

A few missing tiles aren't a huge deal. The main ones look fine.

Fine, the wood might need replacing.

The overgrown yard isn't a huge deal. It's not "selling point" bad

The windows are also replaceable

I do agree with you though that over $200k is a lot
>>
>>1222699
>I believe that's why they call it a water closet
A water closet was literally a closet that was converted to have a toilet. It was a concession to renovating older homes and was not considered idea even at the time. They generally make them larger these days, even if the name stuck. Does it at least have a vent in there? I'd hate to get stuck in there by being pinned to the seat to take a marathon shit and have it get uncomfortably warm.

>A few missing tiles aren't a huge deal. The main ones look fine.
For your sake, I hope you are right. Tile is expensive roofing and it costs a lot of money to repair or replace. If that is the original roof on the place and it is 60+ years old you may be due for a re-do. The tiles may be reusable but that does not mean the stuff under them is still good. Get it inspected.

>The windows are also replaceable
I have priced out the cost to replace old windows before. It is steep. Especially with brick exteriors. If it was wood or stucco exterior you'd have some wiggle room. You could put in a larger frame to fit a smaller window in the existing opening or even expand the opening fairly cheaply. With brick, you can't do that and not have it look awful or cost a ton. That means custom sized windows. To replace them in an entire house we are talking thousands of dollars. It is not 'replace the roof' expensive, but it is one of the more expensive upgrades you can make.
>>
>>1222708
Also, check local housing laws and HOA for historical rules. You may have to pay out the ass for exact replacements to be custom made in a matching style, ditto for roof you have to keep original tile style which has been out of stock since 1960.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.