[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any blacksmiths able to give me some advice? I know there used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: blacksmith-iron-working.jpg (78KB, 870x337px) Image search: [Google]
blacksmith-iron-working.jpg
78KB, 870x337px
Any blacksmiths able to give me some advice? I know there used to be a blacksmithing general but I didnt see it. I want to get a forge but everywhere I look says to build your own. I know its cheaper but it seems like a lot of work and I dont particularly enjoy messing around with flammable gasses and home made shit. If someone could recommend me a forge or convince me to build one I would appreciate it. I would mostly be using it for bladesmithing or tool making.
>>
File: DSCF4232.jpg (224KB, 692x519px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4232.jpg
224KB, 692x519px
>>1220221
Made this in about an hour out of some scrap I had on hand.
>>
File: DSCF4234.jpg (255KB, 922x692px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4234.jpg
255KB, 922x692px
>>1220229
>>
>>1220221
>much wanna be a blacksmith
Just don't want to get my hands dirty or to actually have to make stuff...
>>
Following, I just started work with a brake drum furnace. Would a small hammer head shape out well Into an axe? Under normal untreated wood it got hot enough to make rebar workable without a fan
>>
>>1220232
>Shaping metal =/= plumbing involving flammable gasses
Don't be a dick dude
>>
>>1220233
Yes.
>>
>>1220221

Not super hard to go OG and set up a coal forge w/ blower if you're uncomfortable using gas forges. That's what I myself prefer, though I also live in coal country and can quite literally get it for free by walking around with a bag for a little while.
>>
>>1220301
Im fine with using gas its just the whole home made+gas+fire thing that sketches me out. Can you just buy the burner? Ive seen a bunch of videos of people building the burner but if I can take that out of the equation I would be much more okay with building. As far as the forge body i've seen ones that look very good and have all kinds of insulation and coatings on them and ones that just look like a bunch of stacked fire bricks, how basic can I go?
>>
Just buy the burners and a regulator, fair few places make them to code and whatever fittings used in most countries- though you can go slightly insane figuring out exactly what the fuck proprietary gas fitting is what/where
Being burnt is actually the least concern when making knives at least for me, spinning abrasive and cutting things seem to give me the most scratches and cuts
>>
Who makes a good burner? And what size should I be looking at?
>>
>>1220221
If you got coal google brake rotor forge.

If propane for real, just build a "reil style burner" and get so kast-o-light 3,000 and kaowool.

So long as you have a regulator and dont stick your face inside the chamber to light it you are fine.

I even rigged a propaned grill ignitor for 15 bucks at lowes to light my foundry.
>>
if you're in europe, I can recommend "devil forge" models from Lithuania.

just swap the gas hose that comes with them for a safer one, I know a smith who had the hose they supply fail from radiated heat.

>>1220232
>>much wanna be a blacksmith
>Just don't want to get my hands dirty or to actually have to make stuff...

or, like me, doesnt have the time to be dicking about making forges, when I need to be working on product. So I bought a forge, just the same as I bought a belt grinder, instead of spending time making one. I wasnt going to dick about with wiring a motor and digital inverter, or welding a frame, when I've got one that I know is rock solid, and if there's any problems, I can call the maker up and have it fixed and turned around in 24 hours.
>>
>>1220574
>I even rigged a propaned grill ignitor for 15 bucks at lowes to light my foundry.

got any pics?

I use a 3-foot length of piano wire with a little ball of cloth, soaked in meths on the end. I need a better lighting method.
>>
File: cannonrear.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cannonrear.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>1220631
No cause it is kill. but it is a cheap universal igniter i got at lowes in the grilling parts section. Has a few plug ins with wires and runs on a AA battery.

I just ran 2 real long bolts in it and bolted the wires to the heads outside.

Adjusted the bolt ends until they threw a descent spark near the gas nozel. Tater canon diy do this a lot.
>>
>>1220377
Google Reil EZ Burner. Follow Ronnie Reil's instructions and enjoy your awesome and safe propane burner.
>>
File: Snapchat-1305138545.jpg (707KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1305138545.jpg
707KB, 1080x1920px
>>1220221
I lined an old BBQ with some fire bricks (bought cheap from Craigslist) and packed sand all around them to hold it together. The whole thing, bricks, pipe and all, cost less than $50 and it works beautifully.
>>
>>1220221
Look for horse and horseshoe supply shops if you want to buy modern, pre-made blacksmith gear.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.