[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some electricity aid! I need to drill some 2.5"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 20170730_120853.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_120853.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Looking for some electricity aid!

I need to drill some 2.5" holes in here, but am worried about hitting some wires. My stud finder is detecting live wires almost all over the wall - when I insulate the sensor with a few sheets of paper, it localizes and detects electricity mostly near the outlets - marked in red. For all my research, I can't figure out how he would run the wiring due to the window.

The front of the door is to the right of this wall, and the breaker in the room to the right of that door.

I've marked in black the stud locations, marked in red the locations of the outlets. This house was built about 10, 15 years ago. Everything else I've inspected is up to code, so I assume there's metal plates in front of any wires running vertically.

Any advice you can offer would be very appreciated. Gonna cook some shit to calm down.
>>
>>1218896
Clarifying: the front door is to the left of the wall - reality left, photo right - the breaker in the room to the reality left, photo right of that door.
>>
Further information: there is no ceiling light fixture. The only electrical fixture in this room is a heating vent immediately behind the bookshelf pictured, to the right of the rightmost outlet.

Thanks in advance, again. Feelin' like a babby
>>
>>1218896
Small hole in the wall, use a smart phone endoscope to look around.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CL1QUCW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501445855&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cellrizon+endoscope&dpPl=1&dpID=51rwPqOn-RL&ref=plSrch
>>
>>1218936
Interesting. With Prime it'd be here in two days. Unfortunately, I have 6 hours. Damn it.
>>
>>1218896
outlet is invisible?
take the outlet off the wall and see where the wires run.
any decent county limits running wires to specific zones created by e.g. sockets and switches, so you know the wire will (should) be directly above below or to the side of the accessory. but who knows really.
>>
>>1218959
Took it off and took a look, it's obscured, but looks like it's running vertically. No A/C detected above the window or near the ground, but it goes wild directly below the window. My guess is he ran wires along the sides of the studs 'till he hits the window, then turns right, goes over the door frame, then to the breaker...

So it's "pray I drill the center and don't hit a horizontal traveler", right?
>>
File: images(7).jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images(7).jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>1218896
Should be fine, just dont place any holes directly above or inline with an outlet or switch. Know your zones anon
>>
>>1218971
Thanks, buddy. Image you posted is a tad small but zooming in I can tell what you mean.

Thankfully, the two studs I'm using are not above or inline with the outlets. I should be safe. Now to just get it done.

Appreciate those who posted. Best of luck with your projects this week.
>>
>>1218964
well i would expect wires to go under the floor in 100% of cases. sockets are low, wires go down, lights are high, wires go up. then again i don't know what your guy was smoking.

what kind of detector are you using? stud finder kind? does some weird shit with capacitance so it detects the metal of the wire rather than the electricity. if you have a non contact voltage indicator that detects the EM field you could be slightly more certain about it.

>>1218971
this is from the UK or eerily similar, does it apply to OP in usa? check your electrical code. also people do dumb fucking retard shit all the time. kitchen fitters have no problem running wires diagonally and at dog legs and shit. horrendous.
>>
Hey just don't worry too much. What is the purpose for the hole, and what are you drilling it with? If you're using a holesaw, just drill about the thickness of the drywall and then slow it right down or be careful. Once the hole is gently cut you have a look! Just don't force it hard and rip everything inside to shreds. Just be careful and you won't wreck anything
>>
>>1218975
handy tip: never trust that anything was ever installed to code. it wasnt. it never is.

OP all we can really see in that photo is the texture of the painted wall. we dont even know if that is drywall or fibre board. whats on the other side of the wall OP? a water pipe? that will also set off a stud finder. how about you show us your messy room and tell us where the fuck in your house this is. do you have an unfinished garage where you can see the bare studs? can you get in the roof and see if the wires are there? disregard all advice previously posted until you can actually tell us what you're drilling. niggers are just posting boilerplate advice.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.