[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so ordering 3d prints is fucking expensive! I want 96

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: IDvmDRU.png (233KB, 454x395px) Image search: [Google]
IDvmDRU.png
233KB, 454x395px
Okay, so ordering 3d prints is fucking expensive!

I want 96 1 inch diameter resin or ceramic game pieces and I'm being quoted 900-2000??

Is there a cheaper way to get these game pieces made?
>>
>>1218493
Is that what they look like? Couldn't you make them yourself in a lathe and put printed stickers on them? Or even use something like bottlecaps? I'm not sure this is a good application of additive manufacturing.
>>
[spoiler]no one will play your game with you[/spoiler]
>>
>>1218513
Fair enough, but I really want this game to feel premium, and so want a high gloss ceramic or porcelain type material.

I wonder if I could 3d print a mold for ceramic.
>>
File: vkSBhoq.png (473KB, 635x481px) Image search: [Google]
vkSBhoq.png
473KB, 635x481px
>>1218514
I came to that conclusion on day one.
I'm still going to make it though.
>>
>>1218518
If you're willing to put time into it, you can make a a similar, or maybe slightly simplified pattern in a clay roll.

slice it out to desired thickness, cure and maybe coat them and for pennies on the dollar have a nice feeling and looking set.
>>
File: IMG_7429.jpg (621KB, 1548x1548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7429.jpg
621KB, 1548x1548px
>>1218542
Best pic I could find for what I mean, Haven't done something like that since 2nd grade art.
>>
>>1218544
This is the best advice I've gotten.

I wonder is there a glossy glaze i could finish them with?
>>
>>1218493
why do you even want to 3d print such a simple shape? it hardly gets any less efficient
>>
>>1218520
stick or a 1 inch dowel, chop saw, router.
>>
>>1218546
yes you can coat them to be super glossy, I personally prefer the hand feel of unfinished clay, such texture and grip.

To produce in the numbers and size you want you're look at a decent cost for materials, but you can start small to hone the skills and finalize design choices.
>>
File: botton.jpg (8KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
botton.jpg
8KB, 264x264px
you could just buy some buttons and cut the shank off the back
>>
File: 3_Chips.png (128KB, 505x220px) Image search: [Google]
3_Chips.png
128KB, 505x220px
>>1218493
Do they need to have that plateau? They look sort of like poker chips. Custom poker chips aren't cheap, but they're not $1k either.
>>
>>1218493
silicone mold and resin casting. you can easily and cheaply mass produce hundreds of em.
>>
Any reason you don't try a site like aliexpress ?

Contact a plastic company in china.
>>
>>1219741

>outsourcing production to china

have you learned nothing?
>>
>>1218546
This is called millefori
>>
>>1219747
>have you learned nothing?

What is there to have learned?
90% of big name manufacturers have outsourced some or all of their stuff to china. China has then spent that profit into making state of the art factories to produce more stuff cheaper and faster.

The only thing I have learned is that paying for someone in the USA to make shit doesnt get you a better end product. It gets you the same quality end product while paying inflated wages.
>>
>>1218544
THAT SHIT IS HOT
>>
>>1218493
Find a guy with a lathe, he'll probably do it cheaper.
>>
>>1218493
Why not buy some clay you can fire in your oven and use a section of pipe or a pipe fitting as your "cookie cutter". get 2 1xs and borrow your moms rolling pin for consistent thickness.
>>
For the relatively low quantity you need, the DIY route people are recommending with clay is probably the best route. For higher quantities, look into clay poker chips. I just backed a game on Kickstarter, Brass, that's doing that. I don't know about multicolor, or if it's just a two color thing.
>>
>>1219760
>inflated wages

Try normal wages, then look at China and realize they're using so significantly deflated wages that the workers try to kill themselves by the hundreds
>>
>>1220012
For the work that they do, pushing buttons on mostly automated machines?
You think we pay "normal" wages for bulk unskilled work?

We pay closer to a normal wage in mexican factories, seeing how its the same illiterate illegals working in USA factories making 80% more than over the border.

Cant wait until we automate everything, in factories here in the USA.
Cut out the awful wages, cut out china. Itll be a good thing.
Until then, buying USA is fucking stupid.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.