[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you go about building the legs for a drop leaf tabletop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

How would you go about building the legs for a drop leaf tabletop like this?

>relative bought this table
>one of the drop leafs is rough, she complained
>they sent a brand new top, told her to keep old one
>gave it to me

Its not really that nice and I dont want to spend a ton of money in wood, but I dont want it to look like ass either.

How would you go about building it?
>>
>>1218470
I should say, the legs and the center column.
I do have a table saw, I do not have a lathe
>>
>>1218470
Why not just a regular table base with four legs.
Not sure, but you could also look at the home improvement stores for decorative pilasters. Usually those are 2" but they do make ones for fancy staircases etc.
Also, good reason to buy more tools.
>>
>>1218534
Im not sure why I hadnt even thought of that.
Just was really caught up in building it like the original.

I could probably make some normal square looking legs
>>
>>1218611
it will look like shit if you do it like that
>>
>>1218614
Depends on how much prettying up you do to them
A straight square leg would not look very good
>>
>>1218470
Center part can just be octagonal or hexagonal, glued up material. The legs can be glued up as well (2 1x's to get your thickness). The grain should run along the diagonal (with the legs) to keep the legs from breaking. Cut the legs out with a jigsaw and then refine with files, chisels and sandpaper. They were dovetailed to the center section back in the day, you might get away with a mortise and tenon, but I'd stick with the dovetail. It's an advanced project, with geometry as well as a lot of different skills involved. It's also forgiving, so not a horrible idea to try, just probably pricey for the decent hardwood when you have to do it twice.
>>
File: shittyfuckingdrawing.png (3KB, 158x289px) Image search: [Google]
shittyfuckingdrawing.png
3KB, 158x289px
>>1218614
cut off one of the corners on each leg so its less blocky like pic related
maybe itll look less shit
>>
File: table_corners.jpg (20KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
table_corners.jpg
20KB, 500x325px
>>1218471
that's a problem

you may be able to buy like a newel post and adapt it, but it won't be cheap

your best option is to simply go buy some replacement table legs (big box stores sell them), stain them, finish them, and attach them to the top

it wouldn't take much extra wood either
>>
>>1218471
Buy a lathe, buy a precut column, or simplify the design. You'll probably want a jig/bandsaw to cut the legs, though you could still rough cut the curves with a tablesaw and finish with a rasp/sandpaper if that's all you have and you're a dumb kike. Or you could make leges that didn't have any curves. There's a thousand ways to make a table.
>>
File: masa_ayak2.jpg (16KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
masa_ayak2.jpg
16KB, 600x400px
every september around here a few people throw out their outdoor patio tables with metal ''cafe style'' legs. a bit of sanding and paint can make these as good as new at very little cost.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.