[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to design a miniature helmet and armor set and 3D print

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Evangelion 02 Profile.jpg (93KB, 900x792px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion 02 Profile.jpg
93KB, 900x792px
I want to design a miniature helmet and armor set and 3D print it. But I'd like the model to be about 3 feet tall. I've never 3D printed anything and I've only just started with 3D modeling. Been using Cinema 4D for the time being.

Here are some questions:

1. Is C4D a good program for modeling characters and preparing them for 3D print? Or should I be looking at AutoCAD or Zbrush?

2. What is a great home 3D printer that can print something that large? The largest piece is just over 30 inches. Would you know of a good one to buy?

3. Back on software, I need to be able to build parts and possibly animate them minimally. Which is why I thought C4D was a good choice. Does C4D have 3D print capability? Is it print friendly? Or should I go with another software? Ideally, I'd like to be able to stress-test joints and parts of the model using material presets or parameters. I know I'm kind of out of my field right now, but that is what I am eventually trying to get to.

I think that is it for now. If you have questions for me, let me know.

I'll be using it to make character models, body armor, and architecture. I intend to print it out, sand/refine the print, then paint it for a finished look.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1218384
This isn't /b/.
>>
>>1218382
a printer with a build volume of at least 30 inches in one plane is massive and individual prints would take ages.

Model things, then chop them up for printing. Don't try printing a whole 3ft tall robot at once. Op top of needing a ludicrous printer you will be needing massive amounts of support layers and fill.
>>
>>1218382
I would honestly build models in whatever software you're most comfortable using - as long as it exports to .stl, anyway. You don't use modeling software to print; the .stl gets uploaded into a slicer (a separate program that turns the .stl into a series of layers).
>>
>>1218382

>is C4D a good program

Only you can really answer that. I use Solidworks because that's what I learned on and it's pretty easy to use. I would recommend staying away from ProE which is a nightmare to use with no added benefit in utility.

>Great home 3D printer [...] over 30 inches

You're not going to find a home one that can do that. You're going to have to break it up into pieces that can be glued or epoxied together.

>3D print capability. stress-test joints

If it can save the part as a .stl file you're golden on printing. All you will need is a slicer after that. As for stress-testing the joints I'm assuming you mean finite element analysis (FEA) in the software itself. To which I would say don't even bother.

1) You're not going to get an accurate result because of the material used and the orientation of the printing

2) The amount of force you're probably going to place on each piece won't be able to break it, unless you're using it for actual armor.
>>
Understood, thanks everyone.
>>
Fusion 360 Sculpt mode would seem like a good fit for this. It also has some limited CAM tools integrated, along with stress analysis and the like.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.