[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a heads up display. It's going to hook into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: hud.jpg (419KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hud.jpg
419KB, 800x800px
I want to make a heads up display. It's going to hook into the OBD2 etc. Anyone know of a decent projector I can use, or am I stuck using a screen/LED matrix?
>>
a cellphone screen or similar should be good enough, no need for a projector
>>
>>1218241
>no need for a projector

Then it would not be a HUD.
>>
>>1219391
Why would it not? It keeps your head up, therefore it is a head up display. If you want it focused out in front of the car get a frensel lens and find a way to mount it at its focal point.
>>
heads up displays do not use projectors. Almost all of them are just lights/led screens reflecting off a windshield.
>>
>>1219412
>>1219410

The main point, of course, is that a proper HUD means that you don't have to shift your eyes to look at it. A cellphone is by definition not going to be a HUD because you have to turn your eyes away from the road to look at it.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd like having a bunch of data on my windshield.
>>
>>1218230

A hud display is not a projected image, it is a lcd display that is reflected by your windshield. You can buy your pic related or use a cell phone with a HUD app that flips the image so its right side up in your windshield. Your pic related is pretty much just a small tablet.
This is how all huds in vehicles work.
>>
>>1219416

You dont seem to see how this works, your not looking at the physical phone, you are looking at the reflection of it on the windshield.
>>
>>1219425
>You dont seem to see how this works, your not looking at the physical phone, you are looking at the reflection of it on the windshield.

Oh. Sorry about that. I hope it works as nicely as OP's image.
>>
>>1218230
in the aircraft cockpit, they use a bright LCD, a fresnel lens, and a piece of glass with a partially reflective film on it for the display.

You could use an arduino or raspberry pi, connect to an OLED screen, use fresnel lens to enlarge it, then stick a partially reflective film (check out HUD reflective film on amazon or whatever) on your windshield.
>>
>>1218230
protip: don't
this thing would distract you way too much, and if some cop sees it and stops you you're basically fucked
>>
>>1219473
How so, they are not illegal.
>>
>>1219473
Why are you posting when you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about?

https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-new-cars-with-head-up-displays-130663/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/review-garmin-hud-is-sharp-functional-pricey/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_head-up_display
>>
>>1219681
Looking at a cellphone is illegal and the light from a cellphone being indirectly visible will be reason enough to stop you.

That said, most iphone dashboard speed apps on cellphones have reverse mode so you can put them on your dashboard and it will display reflecting off your windshield. A used cellphone off ebay, some double sided tape or a magnet and a car charger cord and you can do this for 100 bucks and it will work great. But anything weird like that (diy or not) will get you stopped by the police.
>>
>>1219424
What do you think ' projected image' means?
>>
>>1219688
>Looking at a cellphone is illegal
What jurisdiction is this?
Around here use of a mobile phone or handheld device is structured around holding the phone, as long as you don't hold it they can't fuck you, they just have a really really loose interpretation of 'holding', basically any touching at all. Anyway displays clearly are ok, people use satnav stuck to windscreens which actively obstruct the view which is an offence in itself if placed improperly but hud isn't obstructing the view that's the point. Clearly from hands free kit we can say having, using technology, phones in car is not a problem in and of itself.

As for distracting other drivers a decent thin film designed to reflect the wavelengths of light used will reflect a massive amount towards the driver, only a few percent will be visible from the front of the vehicle.

Typically a hud i believe but please correct me, projects onto a separate reflective plate, rather than directly onto the windscreen.

Either way truckers have no problem putting huge led displays behind them in the cab for anyone to see driving.

Once we sort out cyclists with flashing led eye burners I'll start worrying about a proper hud distracting other drivers.
>>
>>1219934
>windscreen
hahahah
>>
File: IMG_20170725_014046_457.jpg (622KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_014046_457.jpg
622KB, 4032x3024px
A HUD like this is not illegal at all in the US nor in the UK.

I love my HUD, it gives me rpms and speed very accurately
>>
>>1219688
In my part of burgerland the statute is based on interacting with or holding the device. A stop based on light in the windshield from a device not being held or interacted with is ridiculously likely to come up with false positives e.g. navigation devices. Way too many people would pitch a fit for such a law to last very long as is.
Where in the hell do you live?
>>
>>1220097
>I love my HUD, it gives me rpms and speed very accurately

Nice. does it work in sunlight? If not, I wonder how aircraft manage; do they have some sort of LCD built into the canopy or what?
>>
>>1219468
>use fresnel lens to enlarge it
The lens is not to enlarge it, it's to focus it at a certain distance in front of the vehicle. Ideally you want it focused at infinity so that it can be read at any distance without refocusing your eyes.
>>
>>1219909

I was making it simpler for op, since he thought a projected image needed a literal projector.
>>
>>1220111
You can see it albeit harder when the sun is hitting you directly, they come with a reflective film to stop double images and have a better reflection but I just run without it.

Also, you can adjust RPMs, speed, etc in case of a bad reading.
>>
holy fuck i can watch anime while i drive
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.