[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I want to mount power strips to the side of my desk. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: posterboard.jpg (25KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
posterboard.jpg
25KB, 360x480px
So I want to mount power strips to the side of my desk.

How do I do that without affecting or damaging the wood?
>>
>>1217333
if you can't use the slide screw holes you'll have to find some strong double sided tape unless the sockets are pretty loose

and you'll have to test whether or not the double sided tape will damage the finish
>>
>>1217345
This, but also throw a ziptie or two around it to stop it from peeling off over time. Tape to hold the sheer weight, ties to stop the weight of the cords pulling it off.
>>
>>1217333
define damage.
screw it in? holes
stick it up? strip the finish

if you want it pristine wrap a strip of felt around the wood then use a quick clamp to hold it in place.
>>
>>1217333
>How do I do that without affecting or damaging the wood?

1. put something like felt on the power strip so that it cannot scratch the desk.

2. use neodymium iron boron magnets inside the desk. You can buy them from DigiKey and other places.

3. If it's not sturdy enough, make a baseplate for the power strip that is made of steel and has additional magnets, and of course use felt on this.

Eventually you will have a powerstrip sturdy enough to withstand pulling a plug. Just be careful with large magnets, as you can purchase ones strong enough to crush a finger if you don't know how to handle them.
>>
File: 71zeB-e3x8L._SL1500_[1].jpg (218KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71zeB-e3x8L._SL1500_[1].jpg
218KB, 1500x1500px
>>1217333
Scotch Permanent Outdoor Mounting Tape, 1 Inch x 450 Inches (4011-LONG)
http://a.co/1lLyYOI
>>
File: stupid_fuck.jpg (85KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
stupid_fuck.jpg
85KB, 1200x1200px
I like how people are over complicating the simplest task. tape? glue? MAGNETS? fucking magnets.. seriously.... use some ZIP TIES, PUT ONE AT THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM. TIGHTEN TO WHERE IT CANT MOVE BUT NOT ENOUGH TO WHERE THE ZIP TIE WILL BREAK. wont damage wood, wont be permnanent, is removable for any reason. zip ties will keep it in place.

fucking hell... pic related. zip ties. and they even come in nifty colors to match whatever you are putting them on
>>
>>1219289
..and how the fuck are you going the magnets inside the wood without damaging it you useless fucking drug addict?

>>1217345
This, in combination with these>>1217354 >>1219660. Not fucking hard.
>>
>>1217354
>>1219660

Maybe I'm retarded but I can't picture how zip ties would hold a block up against a desk. Are you talking about wrapping them around a desk leg? What about desks where the legs aren't exposed?
>>
>>1219723
Well fuck, it is I >>1217354 that is retarded. I didn't actually open OP pic and from the thumbnail assumed the powerstrip on the left was in fact the table leg, viewed from the top down. For post style legs then yeah, no problem, but for this desk (which appears to be a flat side front to back) zip ties are not an option, unless you string about 10 of them together

OP's only option is a screw and they keyways on the back. Double sided tape will either rip off the varnish, or worse, the top layer of veneer on removal (though from the looks of it currently, he doesn't have that many fucks to give, assuming thats mold spots and not dust bunnies). He could try a shitload of commando pads side by side in a line, with all the tabs facing the same direction, these might come off without harming the finish, but if it is a legit piece of fine furniture I would not risk it.

If he doesn't want to screw, then he's just going to have to suck it the fuck up and put his power boards on the floor I guess.
>>
>>1217333
>I want to mount something without fixings
you cant. just place it under or on top of the desk.
/thread

holy shit /diy/ you fall for so much bait lately.
>>
3M strips. Hooks or the velcro things.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.