[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm installing a new meter base and box on my power pole,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 20170719_113102.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_113102.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
I'm installing a new meter base and box on my power pole, I can't find any description on what to do with this little guy. I know it's for ground, but all the other photos I've seen with something similar have it connected to a bus.

What do I do with this stubby guy?
>>
File: main panel bonding.jpg (51KB, 668x600px) Image search: [Google]
main panel bonding.jpg
51KB, 668x600px
Here's what I'm talking about with a bus
>>
>>1217251
looks like a ground to me, but what do i know im just some dumbfuck on the internet
>>
>>1217259
It does indeed look like a ground thank you for the input
>>
As far as I can tell it's for grounding the panel to the neutral bar, but then do I also run a ground cable from neutral bus to actual grounding rods?
>>
File: paneledit.jpg (686KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
paneledit.jpg
686KB, 1161x2064px
>>1217279
Kinda like this
>>
>>1217251
You loosen the screw a tiny bit and flip it to the right, it should be able to slot into the neutral bar

Assuming this is the main panel. If this is. Sub panel you do not ground it

Yes you should put a ground rod in and ground attach it to the bar as well it looks like they provided a larger connector towards the top of the bar

Actually don't know enough to tell you what gauge of ground to use
Solid 6gauge I think?
>>
File: panel2.jpg (684KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
panel2.jpg
684KB, 1161x2064px
>>1217286
Yes this is the main panel.

They provided some copper cable for the ground
>>
>>1217293
That's about it then.

your circuits neutral and ground will all tie into the bar.

If it was a sub panel then you wouldn't swing the little copper bit over and you would install a grounding bar on the other side to keep them isolated.
>>
File: grounding conductor.png (90KB, 466x787px) Image search: [Google]
grounding conductor.png
90KB, 466x787px
>>1217286
>Solid 6gauge I think?
Depends on what his service is.
>>
Christ. /diy/ being /diy/ again, I see.

Yes, it's for grounding the panel. It's separate because code may require that you leave it disconnected from the rest of the ground terminals, depending on what exactly the panel is being used for.

You'll have to look up (or ask about) local code to see whether you're supposed to connect it or not.
>>
>>1217324
>It's separate because code may require that you leave it disconnected from the rest of the ground terminals, depending on what exactly the panel is being used for.

You will still ground a sub-panel to earth-ground either with a ground wire back to the main panel or with it's own grounding spike if it's a detached building, you just absolutely will not bond it to neutral.
>>
>>1217324
Power company doesn't give a shit about anything past the meter, they said since I'm out of city limits it doesn't matter. I don't really believe that, but that's as far as they've helped
>>
>>1217368
>Power company doesn't give a shit about anything past the meter,
Correct.
>since I'm out of city limits it doesn't matter.
Until you go to sell the house.
>>
>>1217377
Not that it doesn't matter, but I will be here for a long time, so I would like to do it right the first time
>>
>>1217324
Is it illegal content if it's so manifestly wrong that it could result in manslaughter charges if a professional did it?

I can't imagine a local code exception for this where you would ground ONLY the housing of a sub panel. If it's a subpanel then you keep ground separate. If it's not, then you don't. Op already answered it. Fuckin' hell.
>>
>>1217524
>>1217368

I'd thought it was clear, but I meant, literally, "disconnected from the rest of the ground TERMINALS", as in the slots in the bus bar.

Obviously, it needs some sort of ground conductor (either a dedicated wire or via the conduit itself) regardless of whether it's a main or a sub/lug.
>>
Electrician here. The answer has already been kind-of posted, but not in black and white. Since this is your main service disconnect panel, the ground and neutral are bonded (with that tab) and connected with #6 solid or stranded copper to your ground rod(s). They give you the option to use that panel as a sub-panel; in which case the neutral and ground cannot be bonded.
>>
>>1218367

Some faggot with zero woodworking experience or knowledge created a "woodworking general" so I'm saving this from the abyss since it's the next to go when the next drooling moron creates a thread
>>
>>1220329
Seriously, how fucking assmad do you have to be to bring this shit into unrelated threads? Sorry mummy left the center of your tendies frozen but seriously, go smash one of your toy cars or something kiddo.
>>
>>1220329
>created a "woodworking general

link? is this your first day on the net?
>>
File: 1387659381679.png (537KB, 490x430px) Image search: [Google]
1387659381679.png
537KB, 490x430px
>>1220329
> "saving" a thread where OP has his answer, that can rightfully 404.

What a fucking hero you are..
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.