[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm in the process of buying a home in a rural area and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 31eev1JoOeL._SY400_.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
31eev1JoOeL._SY400_.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
So I'm in the process of buying a home in a rural area and really want to build a fence. I've helped build several but my question is can i use a cylindrical bucket to pre cast the 8 foot 4x4 im cement then after it dries remove it from the bucket and drop it in the ground? Anyone do this or have some insight.

Pic related 27 inch deep and 12 inch diameter so I'd fill to 24inch mark and center the post.
>>
>>1216755
Sonotube
>>
>>1216755
Yeah, don't do that. Then instead of leveling a post in wet concrete, you'll be levelling a post with a massive chunk of concrete on the end of it in a misshapen hole. Just making it ten times harder on yourself.

Also
>sonotube
>>
>>1216758
>>1216785
Sonotube looks good but the bucket also seems feasible. Sonotube would end up costing about 8 bucks per post in a fenced area where it would take 16 to 20 posts. 160+ compared to 50 for the bucket. All you'd have to do is compact the soil and level it before dropping the post in.
>>
File: fence-posts-1.jpg (96KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
fence-posts-1.jpg
96KB, 500x300px
>>1216755
If I can also suggest something. Use metal poles instead of 4x4's. Your fence will last 10 times longer. You can paint them, or cover over with wood if you don't want to see the metal but if you're going to build it, you might as well build it to last.
>>
May as well just build a masonry wall instead of fence.
>>
Last fence i built every post was in a used paint bucket/orange home depot bucket. When it comes time to replace the fence the cement is in the bucket which convienantly has a handle on it.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>1216832
Bucket is not feasible. It's not a jello mold. It'll be frustrating and more than likely will break. Not only that, but taking dry time into account it'll take you between 16 and 34 days to make all the posts. As well as dragging the project out you'll have to mix concrete everytime you set a post, instead of being able to mix a larger batch and fill several holes at once. I'd also recommend renting a gas auger and a cement mixer, not only to make life easy but to drastically speed it up. You could potentially set all the posts in one day you do it by yourself.

But if $100 is too much for you then you might as well get the fast setting quickrete, dig a hole, dump it in, add water, and then mix it in the hole with the post. Fill the last 6 inches with dirt and plumb.
>>
>>1216918
>>1216881
Also, several paint buckets work well. Bury them deep enough and they'll be pretty stable.
>>
>>1216755
Don't bother your asking for pain.

Sono tubes or superspikes.

Youll thank me later.
>>
>>1216861
Good idea never considered that.

>>1216868
Saving that for a retaining wall.

>>1216918
Yea the time thing does seem like it would be counter productive. On the other hand i do have about 50 of those HD buckets from an old job.
>>
>>1216755
You can but its fuckibg stupid and pointless op.

Just dig a hole with posthole diggers or 3point auger. Or if u lucky and have few rocks get a little 2 stroke 1 or 2 man auger. Mix a bag or 2 at a time ina wheel barrow and pour ina hole.

Bonus pounts for smoothing it a little into a cone shape poibted up a little toward the post and about 6 inches to a foor around the post. Then you can get wild with the weed eater and not be thrashing the fuck out of your stribg or blades or post.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.