[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, all. So I got these metal dice as a gift. I'm pret

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: metal dice set1.jpg (210KB, 1499x1500px) Image search: [Google]
metal dice set1.jpg
210KB, 1499x1500px
Hi, all.

So I got these metal dice as a gift. I'm pretty sure they are these ones here (though it was a gift, so I'm not positive):
https://www.amazon.com/Truewon-Playing-Numbers-Nickel-Flannel/dp/B01N9F99XY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501043833&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=metal+dice+set+d%26d+green&psc=1

I don't care for the green color that they use for the numbers, so I was going to remove it and make them blue. But there are a few things that I wanted to know first.

First, should I worry about removing the other paint first or just paint over it? I'm pretty sure that I should remove the paint, but if any of you have just painted over the other paint and it worked, then that seems the most simple.

If I should remove the paint, how should I go about that without damaging the surface of the dice? If they are the same dice in the above link, then it says that they have a nickel finish on them. I googled removing paint from metal, but I didn't see any metal that looked the same as the dice, so I didn't want to apply any chemicals to the metal and wind up removing the outer coat.

Next, what kind of paint would be best to use? If you can't see in the picture, the numbers are engraved (perhaps there's a more specific word for what I mean, but I'm pretty sure that's it), so I shouldn't have to worry about the paint coming off when rolling the dice. I saw some paint for painting the d&d miniatures (which is something I'd like to get into making out of wood and painting myself, but that is for a later date), would that work for this?

What kind of brush should I use?
Should I cover the parts I'm not going to paint in masking tape, and if so, how do I accurately cut out the areas that I'm going to paint?

What other issues might I run into?

And lastly, did I miss any info that might help you out?

Thanks everybody.
>>
File: metal dice tower1.jpg (164KB, 1296x2304px) Image search: [Google]
metal dice tower1.jpg
164KB, 1296x2304px
A photo of my own.
>>
>>1216173
I'm guessing what you would do is hit the whole thing with a dremel wire brush, dip the entire thing in whatever appropriate paint (enamel is first thing that comes to mind), and then hit it with a wire brush again painstakingly outside the numbers. hand work that will make them feel made with love and care.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
First, try some organic solvents that won't hurt the metal finish. Paint thinner, mineral spirits, acetone, etc. and try to wipe the numbers off with a cloth. If a solvent works, dunk the dice in there and leave them overnight. The numbers should just wipe clean.

When they're all clean and dry, replace the color with some nice model paint or some other relatively thick paint you can dispense with a needle tip bottle into the numbers.
>>
>>1216214
Sounds like solid advice. I didn't know about the needle tipped bottles. Thanks.
>>
Acetone/paint thinner/brākleen, hit it with a rattle can of your choosing, then use a green scotch brite pad to scrub the paint off.
>>
Thin your paint, brush the die with it, wipe off the excess with your finger. If you screw up, wipe clean and do it again.
>>
>>1216173
Paint is cheap, and for the amount you are using the tiniest amount you can buy will have tons left over.
Since the worst case scenario of painting without stripping would be that it pees out easily, try painting without stripping first, then if that doesn't work, strip.
Just use acrylic modeling paint. Don't use latex. Oil based is more water resistant. Just use a thin artists pencil and carefully paint over the engraved #. Get a firm sponge or cloth/plastic (not metal) scrub pad to wipe clean while still damp. You want it firm so that if doesn't go into the groove.

If you need to strip, try using a cloth dipped in acetone over a stylus or knitting needle or paperclip, so you can apply a a little force against the paint.
Nickle finish is damaged by abrasives or by acids. A solvent like mineral spirits or acetone would be fine. A weak acid like Vinegar MIGHT be ok, but I would try it as a last resort.

Paint needs something to grab onto to adhere well, so if you want to keep the Nickle clean, another option would be rubbing it with a candle to make a thin wax coat that you can clean off after painting. That works better for water based paint (still acrylic, wouldn't suggest latex) because oil based may dissolve the wax because oil based solvents.

Hell, if you really want to diy it, use an old toothbrush as the brush and snip off all but one bundle of fibers. You want a thin tip that will hold just a few drops of paint and will easily fit into the groove
>>
>>1216392
Lots of info and some things to work with. Thanks.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.