[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Restoring an old Zenith pocket watch. Anyone have any good tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170724-124458.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-124458.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
Restoring an old Zenith pocket watch. Anyone have any good tips on polishing the .800 silver case?
>There are some deep scratches on the back
>Don't necessarily want a mirror finish.
>Will buffing it on a wheel take the etching out or the case?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-124504.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-124504.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Here's a shot of the back for reference on the scratches
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-124525.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-124525.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Here's the case with the movement still inside for reference
>>
>>1215248
That etching is already fading anon. I'm sorry but you can't have one and not destroy the other. If you're good, you should rather restore it after.
>>
>>1215272
Would I have to buff out the entire engraving in order to get it re-done?

Or could I just take out the surface scratches and let an engraver go over the design again?
>>
>>1215298
if you're going to take it to an an engraver anyway, why not just get it professionally re-finished
>>
Watchmaker here. For old silver cases like that I never buff them. I use the same stuff that's used for fine silver tableware and flatware. What I have currently is Goddard's Foaming Silver Polish, but any good quality stuff is fine.

Having the engraving redone is possible, and expensive, provided there's enough material. The engraver will thank you if you don't remove it before giving them the watch. They'll hate you if you do.

Those old Zeniths are great movements.
>>
>>1215317
It's satisfying polishing tarnished silver. Something I don't mind spending time on myself.

>>1215333
Thanks for the input, I'll stay away from the buffing wheel. Before I polish, do I need to do any fine sanding? Or is that only to prep the material before buffing?
>>
>>1215333
Also, watch repair is only a hobby of mine, and Im still a beginner. Do you have any suggestions on material I can read?
>>
um, toothpaste? I did clean an old silver necklace with toothpaste, seemed to work really well.
>>
>>1215352
All the polish does really is take the tarnish off. It may remove some very fine scratches too. Just go at it with the polish. For general case refinishing, on high quality cases, it's normal to use files and then sanding sticks down to really fine grit before buffing, especially if there are any edges to be preserved.

>>1215355
They are pretty long in the tooth but do cover all the basics really well: DeCarle Practical Watch Repairing and Fried Watch Repairer's Manual. Most libraries will have them, at least the Fried book.
>>
>>1215333
Hey, do you like your job? Pros/cons? Also what pocketwatch would you recommend if I wanted something super pretty that doesn't break bank?
>>
>>1215391
I love it. Moved to Switzerland to get into prototyping and do that and some restoration now. Pros are: you can go as far with it as you like, straight repair, restoration where you make components, all the way to making your own stuff. Cons are: very hard to get parts for many brands, dealing with picky customers, crawling around on the floor an hour per day.

For a pocket watch I'd find a silver cased Zenith like op or Omega similar, or any of the American brands especially Hamilton.
>>
>>1215414
>crawling around on the floor an hour per day
Cause you dropped stuff?
>>
>>1215677
Yup
>>
>>1215367
THIS

I've salvaged an old bike speedometer (mechanical), whose glass and chromed case were full of scratches, basically by using toothpaste as polish and a "goggles disposable cleaning cloth" (don't know how you call those stuff).

'member to rinse that cloth to eliminate all the chemicals they contain : you don't want them to interfere with toothpaste nor with the watch body.

It takes a shit-ton of time, but it worked like a charm for me
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.