[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I get rid of hard water stains in my dishwasher?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

File: Cloudy-Dishes.png (201KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
Cloudy-Dishes.png
201KB, 600x340px
How the fuck do I get rid of hard water stains in my dishwasher?

I threw some vinegar in there and ran it but it didn't work.

What do I do?
>>
>>1215047
You need stronger acid than vinegar.
Muriatic acid (HCL)is safe for food appliances, You just need to work out how much to use and how concentrated it needs to be.
>>
>>1215050
>Muriatic acid
so I should be using this every time?
Or just once or twice to get the hard water out of the dishwasher?
>>
Do those dish aid things like jet dry even do anything?

It did nothing to get rid of the hard water
>>
>>1215047
>>1215050
Vinegar will work, but it takes fucking forever. As in soaking the glasses in 10% or stronger vinegar. Good luck finding 10% after the year 2008.

>tfw can't find 8% now and everything is fucking 5% at the same price as what 15% was
>>
>>1215050
>Muriatic acid (HCL)is safe for food appliances
It is one of the worst acids for stainless steel.
Certainly it is very effective at removing lime, but still.
>>
>>1215066
Seriously? I can get 30% in any crocery store (I live in ex-ussr).
What caused your situation?
>>
Use Finnish, and get a water softener
>>
File: alg-mays-jpg.jpg (112KB, 1200x973px) Image search: [Google]
alg-mays-jpg.jpg
112KB, 1200x973px
You already know what to do.
>>
>>1215078
>What caused your situation?
foolish government regulation
>>
>>1215086
does it work?

>>1215079
>Use Finnish
I'm not Finnish
:^)
>>
>>1215089
I have no idea. Never liked the idea of getting yelled at by the TV about some product or another.
>>
Is this stuff hard water or is it lime?
Or is it both?
>>
>>1215047
Since the fuck sticks at government incorporated banned phosphate in washing powder, nothing works. Of course you can put it back in your self. Get a box of TSP and add a spoonful to your washer detergent. Just make sure you don't buy "phosphate free" TSP. Yes Virginia there is such an abortion on the shelves.
>>
>>1215066
Heinz Washing Vinegar. Walmart carries it in gallons.
>>
>>1215098
>Of course you can put it back in your self. Get a box of TSP and add a spoonful to your washer detergent.
I have this mold smell on my clothes that won't go away.
Can I wash my clothes with this stuff and will it get rid of the mold and mold spores?
>>
>>1215047

Nobody mentioned citric acid?

Citric acid.

It works. It just works. Put a tablespoon in place of the powder or whatever. Run cycles until every surface inside and whatever glassware you put in it sparkling clean with zero streak.
>>
>>1215103
prove it faggot
>>
>>1215098
do you just do this once?
or every time?
>>
>>1215105
Go type it in Google
>>
>>1215117

http://lifehacker.com/fight-off-hard-water-stains-by-using-citric-acid-in-you-1767817840
>>
>>1215086
do cocaine and party hard?
>>
>>1215119
so does that mean I would have to use it every single time?

why the fuck does it happen in the first place?
>>
Use the double tap method

First Sodium Hydroxide(5-10%)
-rinse
Then Muriaric acid
Rinse

There you go.
>>
>>1215106
I pre mix the the box detergent and the TSP and put it in a sealed lid plastic container. I scoop of detergent plus a light teaspoon of TSP until the plastic container if full, mixing as I go. Last four months or so.
>>
>>1215123
>Then Muriaric acid
you mean diluted in water?

how diluted?

also do I have to do this once or every time?
>>
>>1215127
does it ruin colored clothes and clothes with designs on them?

also for dishwashers, I read on a forum that said this:

>TSP is actually less caustic than the main ingredient in dishwasher detergent, which is washing soda or sodium carbonate.
>And yes, STPP would be preferable to TSP, since STPP doesn't create an insoluble precipitate to encrust glassware, dishware, and dishwasher parts.

What does that shit mean?
Does it mean it's dangerous and leaves toxic byproducts?
>>
>>1215078
>>1215099
No clue how it happened, but no one carries that sort of thing. I ended up making my own a few times.
>>
>>1215135
Dunno. I was only talking dish washing.
>>
>>1215138
can I wash my clothes in the dish washer?
>>
>>1215093
Well, "hard water" just means that the water has a lot of dissolved minerals in it. Lime is one of the more common minerals that can be found in "hard water".
>>
>>1215122
>>1215132
It happens because you have hard water (water with a lot of dissolved minerals in it). When that hard water goes through the dishwashing process, some of the minerals precipitate out of the water and stick on every surface in the dishwasher. The same thing happens in water heaters and the hot water pipes in your house, the heat ends up causing much more mineral precipitation than what occurs in a cooler water environment.

>would have to use it every single time?

There are 2 ways to go about this. The first way is to add some shit to your dishwasher every time you do the dishes. The second is buying a whole house water softening system that would be installed on your house's main water supply line ahead of any of your appliances or faucets. These systems are relatively expensive to purchase and install and require occasional monitoring and maintenance (usually in the form of monitoring salt levels and adding large bags of salt when necessary).
>>
>>1215185
Should I just add a bit of TSP to my dishes every time?

Is it safe for my dishes?
Can I eat from this stuff?
>>
>>1215214
bEeN DOinG iT fOuR yeArs aNd IT haSn'T HuRT mE yEt
>>
>citric acid gets rid of water stains
Does this mean I can jam a fuckton of lemons into my dishwasher and get the same effect? I'm 100% serious, I have way more lemons than I can even give away and I have to throw away at least a hundred every week during the season every year. I'd love to put them to good use.
>>
>>1215432
You're supposed to use around 100g of citric acid and since one lemon has 2-3 grams, that would be around 40 lemons.
Dunno what all the other shit in lemons do to your dishwasher, though.
>>
File: 00.jpg (200KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
200KB, 1280x600px
>>1215432
yeah, I believe this is a thing. I have vague memories of my mother doing it when I was a kid.
>>
>>1215432
>>1215439
>>1215441
I'm sure that 100g is supposed to get rid of a lot of staining.
If you do only a few lemons (relatively) over a long time, I'm sure you'll have the same effect.
>>
>>1215103
>citric acid
This anon gets it. Rinse agents are usually weak solutions of citric acid.

>>1215432
You'd just neutralize the washing soda. Wait until the rinse cycle starts.
>>
wait, this is US I guess? do burgers not have built in water softeners in their dishwashers? even the oldest ones I've seen in Switzerland do.

if not just add citric acid as mentioned above. not working? add more. it's almost dirt cheap.
>>
>>1215103
This is true we used citric acid in palm oil stained cargo tanks the tanker ship I worked.
>>
File: alex jones gun.jpg (5KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
alex jones gun.jpg
5KB, 260x194px
>>1215047
Get a good water filter.
>>
>>1215452
Yeah, sure, you use that much only when the dish washer (or at least the heating elements) looks like shit.
>>
>>1215123
Terrible idea
>>
Any cleaners that contain phosporic acid or glycolic acid (phosphoric is best)
>>
>>1215066
>10% after the year 2008
What's that about? Did someone down a few cups of it or something?
>>
>>1215924
Water is pretty soft in a lot of places in the US.

>>1216011
Yes, this. I have not heard of this, but with the DEA and DHS desperately trying to maintain their perception of apparent usefulness, I would not be surprised if they have added it to lists of banned chemicals for drugs or explosives manufacturing.
>y u not consume like good little pleb
>>
>>1215066

Pretty easy to find 30% in my area, I love live in WA.
>>
Make sure you're not putting the vinegar in before any pre-rinse stage of the dishwasher. Vinegar didn't work for me until I added it (cup or two) after the detergent went in (not rinse stage). That being said your glass looks more affected than mine so maybe vinegar isn't enough. (I skimmed the thread, sorry if I missed something.)
>>
File: 1483428744217.jpg (41KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483428744217.jpg
41KB, 480x480px
>>1215047
Tell your wife to work harder.
>>
You do put salt in your dishwashers dont you?
>>
If you dont use salt the ion exchanger becomes depleted
>>
>>1216006
coca-cola and such drinks
>>
>>1215047
Why don't you use Dishwasher salt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher_salt
>>
>>1216332
US water is generally pretty soft so dishwashers here don't generally have ion exchangers. Where water hardness is a concern, softeners are typically installed by the customer.
>>
>>1215050
I only knew Muriatic acid for etching block, was not aware it could be used in a dishwasher but I guess it would make sense.
>>
>>1216476
That's for dishwashers that have built in water softeners if you read your link.
>>
>>1215924
US appliance repair fag here.
I rarely see softener models and usually only on nicer meile or Bosch dishwashers, most houses in the states have a whole house water softener which makes a dishwasher softener redundant... oddly I only see them in really nice houses that splurged on a fancy dishwasher and most likely already have a softener for the house so it's kinda stupid over here...

Op. Try citric acid.. or tang will work too.. since it's basically citric acid with some orange flavoring.... also run a dishwasher cleaner like finish or dishwasher magic through it...

Rinse aid breaks up water surface tension so it forms small beads that don't leave deposits when they evaporate.. won't help with excessive buildup..
>>
>>1215144
Probably?
>>
>>1215144
Not very much... dishwashers have screens to keep debris out of the pump... they'll clog with lint pretty fast...
>>
>>1215047
If vinegar isn't working, your glassware may already be etched from the hard water. Nothing you can do about that.
>>
>>1216982
>If vinegar isn't working, your glassware may already be etched from the hard water.

You're saying it's permanent?
Bullshit.
>>
>>1216698
>Tang will work too.. since it's basically citric acid with some orange flavoring

I think you mean some fucking DELICIOUS orange flavoring.
>>
>>1216695
>built in water softeners
There are dishwashers that don't have this feature? I just assumed every dishwasher by now would have this.
>>
>>1215066
Heat it into a stronger concentrate
>>
>>1217199
It was good enough to put boots on the moon.
>>
>>1216698
>Tang will work too
What about Kool-Aids
>>
>>1217685
Don't know what goes in coolaid (or "juice" if yo in da ghetto)
>>
>>1217685
Tang has 100% usrda of vitamin C. Koolade only has 10%. Probably wouldn't work. Or taste as good either.
>>
>>1215047
get some CLR or it's generic sold at dollar stores it works like magic
>>
>>1215047
I know this sounds odd but using lime koolaid packets have worked in the past for me. The also make a lime concentrate in a hard chalk like substance that throwing 1/2 tablespoon works like a dream.
But on the easier side of things lime koolaid packets 2 or 3 at a time with detergent doing that two times will get rid most of the scale.
Then use the prepackaged dry jetdry packs with the red ball instead of other detergents.
>Dealt with this a couple of years ago and been fine ever since.
>>1215050
Muriatic acid can destroy your pipes unless its all pvc
>>
>>1218119
nvm its finish dry packets
>>1215079
>>
add a shot of black paint. that's what the pros do
>>
>>1218131
Someday I'm gonna get a dishwasher repair call with notes that the customer needs the black paint cleaned out and I'm gonna laugh my ass off... already had one where they dumped a bottle of draino in one because it wouldn't drain...
>>
wash them by hand first dawg fuck you mean?
>>
>>1215100
The mold smell has to do with not drying your clothes fast enough. Never ever leave your laundry in the washer.
>>
>>1215099
>Regular vinegar
Diluted to 5% acidity

>"Washing Vinegar"
Diluted to 6% acidity. and costs 50% more

Why not just use 20% more regular vinegar and save money?
>>
File: productclr.jpg (11KB, 254x280px) Image search: [Google]
productclr.jpg
11KB, 254x280px
>>1215047
>>
>>1215051
The hard water gets out of the dishwasher every time it empties. The problem is you fill it back up again with hard water every time you run a load. Get a water softener.
>>
>>1215135
STPP is preferable because it is much less likely to etch your glassware if you use too much, because it is much more soluble. No grit swirling around sandblasting everything.
>>
>>1220342
You would use 20% more 5% acid. Try removing some of the water with removing agents or distilling.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.