[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a few of these. They're fucking stupid, I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: cq5dam.web.372.372.jpg (29KB, 372x372px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.372.372.jpg
29KB, 372x372px
I have a few of these. They're fucking stupid, I don't want to turn off one lamp at a time. I have it set up in my attic to turn off my drop lighting.

I'm looking for ideas to make these into a code compliant box type thing, wires go into a block, switched by this, out to lights. Right now I have a plug at the end of my conduit to power the lights plugged into this, which is plugged into an outlet. Obviously I don't have a wall switch this way, I'll need to work that in too.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas?
TLDR, need to turn a wemo switch into a sonoff style switch.

>Just buy sonoff switches
I have 10 of them. Not a single one will connect.
>>
File: _20170723_193710.jpg (948KB, 2992x2437px) Image search: [Google]
_20170723_193710.jpg
948KB, 2992x2437px
>>1214754
I'll need to do the same for this setup as well. Basically I need to put them in a big junction box to make it code, or at least appear to code.

This one will be a closet light. Obviously I'll replace the cut cord with the correct incoming wire, but I need the box, fittings and terminal block first.
>>
>>1214754
throw that shit in the trash
get a plc, network enabled
put in din enclosure
write glue application and host on your home server.
>>
>>1214754
You need the stupid wemo link thingy. With that you can create scenes and other stuff.
>>
>>1214794
Oh.. and because they are wireless, that box and proximity will screw things up.
Really, >>1214782 is correct.
There are several tiers of home-automation.
wemo, lync, etc. are all shit tier. They do a few things well but fuck you over with having buy more of their propitiatory stuff.
>>
>>1214754

Herpidoodaday your shits controlled by the nsa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311736287457
>>
>>1214988
This is great, except the wemo has an app in English, integrates easily with many other HA platforms, and connects with a button press.

How do I take that board and remotely control it via voice? Do you have these boards? Can you tell me where I can find info on it?
>>
>>1215108
And before anyone starts the 'wow u so don't stuff, make sure you're aware he posted this in a thread where I asked about putting a fucking wemo in a box.
>>
>>1215108
I don't think you have the resources for voice recognition on an esp8266. That wemo shit uses an api that calls home. You can't add your own shit to it unless you have the api to modify or you buy their shit.

If you really like someone to have untethered access to that shit just go buy the good ones and stfu like normies do.

If you wanna make your own that's a different game, and very rewarding, if you know how to code. Esps will use lua, Python or c++. Then there's everything else.

I built one in 6 hrs. From scratch. Just an app enabled power switch. Didn't even have time to make it pretty but I had a front and back end that was serverless. Didn't do voice but it wouldn't be hard with a home server.

Not sure if you have the time or skills for it OP it's a big job. I also think you believe this industry is robust, flexible, and easy for anyone.
>>
>>1215288
No, I don't have time for any of that bullshit. It's not even really related to what I was asking about.
Basically, someone came to my thread, suggested something completely unrelated to what I asked, and then I get belittled for knowing nothing about it.

>Ib4 "welcome to /diy/"

Nigga I want to put a fucking plugin device in a junction box, I just want to know if anyone knows of a larger than standard junction box for diy electrical control circuits.
>>
>>1215337
Hoffman makes em. Home depot. Lowe's. Any electrical supply. You need a good 3-4 inches bigger than a standard duplex box.

It'll be pricey.
>>
>>1215376
Do they have a name? Or is it just a junction box?

Thanks for the first relevant info itt.
>>
>>1215410
Get a deep 4 11/16 box, replace your regular switch box with this, put your wifi box in there and hook it up, get a blank cover for the front. I don't know off top of my head what the boxes are worth maybe $10.
>>
File: 1497333858305.jpg (107KB, 1007x585px) Image search: [Google]
1497333858305.jpg
107KB, 1007x585px
>>1215410
These are pull boxes. Not sure what's code-legal to do inside them, or if Wi-Fi would reach inside them if metallic.
>>
>>1215464
May fit.

Thomas and Betts, Hoffman, Leviton to name a few.

I personally would use a surface mount single gang with a blank to create a small junction box and come out with a flexible cable and a male Hubble 15 amp.

Then the service side would be another single gang but with a recepticle. Now plug in your device into the recepticle and your lighting circuit is on the cord. If the device fails, plug cord directly into recepticle.

This may no be acceptable by your jurisdiction. If so you'll need an overall enclosure. Those names I mentioned are box manufacturers.

A 6x6 inch box is almost a hundo in my parts and to me if the circuit is adequately out of harms way it should be fine without it. But I know in some parts you're not allowed to take a permanent lighting circuit and use a flexible cord, hence why a box would be necessary.

If you dgaf then my version is super cheap and safe.
>>
>>1215472
Not the metal ones. You'll have to ground it out and that, dear anons is a an effective Faraday cage.
>>
>>1215474
This is essentially what I have now, minus the box. I don't know how an inspector would feel about permanently installed lights being on an outlet, though.

My plan to evade that issue was to run a switch at some point, wire in properly and when we sell, just remove the plug and wire into the box it's plugged into. Leaving the outlet for attic lights, of course.
>>
>>1215522
As long as you use cord grips and the pigtail can't get caught on anything it's not a terrible idea. But it's at your own risk depending on local code.

But we agree the "right way" of doing it is putting it in an expensive plastic box, or you can try the metal one but I'm not sure how you can run out an antenna with that device.

Be easier to just get a wifi enabled wall switch.
>>
>>1215547
That's very true. I may just scrap all this, run the wire and do a fucking 3 gang box with switches. Thanks man.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.