[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love welding so much but there isn't anything worse than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

File: 1500833351486481560035.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1500833351486481560035.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I love welding so much but there isn't anything worse than getting burned. I almost quit friday when this happened I got so mad.
>>
>>1214548
Okay?
>>
>>1214548
Not sure what to tell you, just part of it. I remember in hs I was fucking around with welding and I had some splatter burn through my shoes and right into the part in between my toes. My shop teacher didn't care about safety too much. Always brought steel toed boots from that day on.
>>
Wear the correct PPE dickhead
>>
just a flesh wound
>>
File: 1490925305562.png (113KB, 1440x956px) Image search: [Google]
1490925305562.png
113KB, 1440x956px
>>1214548
That couldn't have hurt for more than 10 seconds, don't be a babby.

Here's a cringy sort of unrelated story though:

I used to work in a machine shop threading large steel bars, which I would then have to pick up and put on a rack. They were always covered in tiny burrs and shavings that would get stuck in my hands. A few months down the line, I start noticing these little black spots all over my dick. Turns out that when I was fapping I was dislodging the burrs from my hands into my dick. So then I spent an hour picking bits of steel out of my dick with tweezers.
>>
Bitch I fucking weld shirtless with shorts and sandals
Man the fuck up
>>
>>1214576
kek.. enjoy your welders tan.

>>1214569
Did this once, but not welding.
I was making salsa.. habanero salsa..
Didn't think much of it.. washed my hands.
Later I had to take a piss.
MOTHERFUCKINDICKONFIRE.WEBM
>>
>>1214579
>Welders tan
Normally don't weld for more than 15-20 minutes total when I'm doing a project so that's a nonissue but I use flux core mig so I definitely get plenty of red hot metal bits to deal with. Point still stands.
>>
>>1214548
You better get used to it man
I wear proper PPE all the time yet I get several bad burns pretty much every week.
In my opinion the worst aspect of the trade is getting zapped by HF
>>
File: 71rBOBVPi8L._SL1500_.jpg (142KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71rBOBVPi8L._SL1500_.jpg
142KB, 1500x1500px
>>1214548
use leather arm straps.
im working on a oil rig and always wear those.
thats a small burn 1 or 2 weeks and its gone
>>
>>1214597
>I wear proper PPE all the time yet I get several bad burns pretty much every week.

How do you manage several bad ones and where are they typically? You TIG since you mention HF but more to the point is why you are getting zapped often? TIG is nice and clean so are you burning yourself with stick, MIG/FCAW or what?

A few minor burns is normal.

High SPF sunscreen will protect your neck where collar and helmet don't cover. Doesn't stop spatter but does reduce arc burn.
>>
>>1214618
Mostly metal drops when welding in weird/inconvenient positions and/or because of protective clothing getting misplaced.
Also a couple ones near my ankles because I'm a retard who regularly forgets to place pant legs over the boots.

>You TIG since you mention HF but more to the point is why you are getting zapped often?
Again, weird positioning most of the time. Also typically sweaty palms plus occasional weirdly shaped pieces and such can divert a part of the current.
It doesn't happen that often but it triggers me something fierce
>>
File: 20170719_120925.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_120925.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1214633
If its black steel i dont need to wear anything but if its galvanized i have to wear a sleeve with a coat on top (mostly because the sleeve has so many holes in it from it being a hand me down)
Like you said, its not the pain its the surprise and triggering that sucks.
>>
>>1214653
Noice. While your job should provide PPE if I were ye I'd get my own PPE (in duplicate for when the first one wears out so you aren't interrupted).

Local welding supply prices tend to be high so I buy most of my stuff online. I used to run a welding school tool room and while our local Airgas was their preferred vendor most are easy to beat online. Unlike many my Airgas are decent but it varies by location.
>>
>>1214548
They make leather sleaves you can wear if you're gonna be a fiant pussy.

Then again if 1 little burn makes u wanna quit you'll go postal when you get an ember under your knee or in your ear or down your glove so may as well start job hunting.

Try mcDicks. They higher pretty much any sissy and you will only get burned by chads who make fun of your aprin or hair net.
>>
>>1214569
LOST. Good work anon. Whew...
>>
>>1214579
>be me
>never hot shit am white #bread2spicy
>help wife core our jalepeneos
>grab a beer
>step outside to take a piss
>begin violently cursing and shove my dick ina sink while dumping cold beer on it.
>sister in law walks in
>"i would prefer my salsa not to have dick in it please...."
>>
>>1215219
Hate to tell you, but grills are hot, vats full of oil are hot, coffee machines are hot, ovens are hot, fry lights are hot... You'll get burned more there than welding, especially if you're a 16 year old idiot that can't take both hands and stick your thumb up your ass, like OP.
>>
>>1214548
That's what PPE is for you fucking mong.

>huur durr I might quit my job because I'm a retard
>>
>>1214653
That is some shitty work.

Anybody that thinks that's an impressive weld doesn't know shit.
>>
>>1214653
lel that barely looks like a weld
Watch some Jodie vids my man
>>
>>1215244
>You'll get burned more there than welding
I worked in a kitchen for five years and I'm a welder now.
You're so full of shit it's not even funny.
>>
>>1215275
>if you're a 16 year old idiot that can't take both hands and stick your thumb up your ass, like OP.

Nice cherry picking, dipshit.
>>
>>1214653
There's totally still mill scale on that, all you did was polish the mill scale not remove it lol
>>
>>1214548
This is like when you see motorcyclists and scooter riders with open face helmets and no eye protection.
Pretty dumb, but live and learn, we've all been there.
Any Pics of what you're creating?
>>
>>1214588
Nigger that shit is equivalent to standing in the sun
>>
File: lA8E2DU.gif (944KB, 264x320px) Image search: [Google]
lA8E2DU.gif
944KB, 264x320px
>>1214569
How the fuck did you not feel them?

Also
>threadan on lathe
>go to check with gauge
>aww yeahhhh
>look away for a moment at the print as I unthread the gauge
>look back
>entire part covered in blood
>mfw I cut myself almost to the bone and didn't feel a single thing
Don't fuck around in machine shops, kids.
>>
>>1215578
I love that there are animufags working in machine shops now.
>>
>>1215583
The scary thing is I'm well on my way to 2nd shift lead because the current guy keeps fucking shit up three ways to Sunday.
>>
>>1214653
dude i love convex welds with massive undercut
>>
>>1215514

According to what happened to my left hand after 30 mins of butt joints it is a fair bit worse than equatorial sun exposure
>>
>>1214579
Done the exact same thing making salsa. I'll take a welding burn over that anytime.
>>
File: 20170626_145048.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_145048.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Dude grow a pair,I did this a few weeks ago with a hole saw , after getting stitched up in the ER I went back to work.
>>
>>1216057
ouch
>>
Ive had bigger cuts on my eye ball girlyman
>>
Working overhead with a smoke wrench (cutting torch) cutting a 1 1/2" nut off a bolt...the glowing red nut went down my uniform shirt and lodged at my waistband until it melted / burned its way threw my shirt....kept working..man up son
>>
File: wood stove.jpg (36KB, 544x347px) Image search: [Google]
wood stove.jpg
36KB, 544x347px
In the mountains building a log cabin fell into a wood stove. Worked 3 days before we packed out had to dry the building in or would of ruined insulation if it rained...toughed it out...went to hospital when got home they couldn't believe I scraped the dead skin off as washed out the sawdust..still got infected..all good
>>
>>1215219
Fuck spatter balls in the ear. I wear ear plugs when I weld overhead. Hearing my ear hair sizzle once was more than enough motivation. I accept some burns as normal but PPE means I can do more work without interruption.
>>
>>1216074
Would have
>>
>>1216057
>autism shoes
>can't use tools

I thought they only hired you people at grocery stores.
>>
>>1216085
yeah we're country here boy we type it how we speak it....Stick your books proud of yuh
>>
>>1216109
>cant even speak your own language
MAGA
>>
>>1216113
>boy
>>
>>1215344
Unless you weld something that's pipeline/nuclear type shit mill scale isn't an issue at all.
>>
local guy from my town was mig welding and was just using a handheld visor.

A hot weld flies up and lands in his ear, literally burns out his ear canal down to his ear drum, Co workers watch in horror as this dude withers around on the ground screaming while being burnt from the inside out.
>>
File: 7654364589569.jpg (13KB, 206x244px) Image search: [Google]
7654364589569.jpg
13KB, 206x244px
>>1216254
ouch
glad i wear earmuffs while welding.
>>
Since it's relevant, can anyone recommend a good trade school to learn welding in the San Antonio area? How much should I expect to pay? I really want to learn a trade so I can do something constructive and quit my job as a janitor.
>>
>>1216305
Call the local 142.
>>
>>1216305
No idea but i got lots of bros around beloit kansas. 9 months and good to go at 100k a year pipelining. Maybe more if u try

Helpers make 15 bucks an hour.

Find a pipeline and go where they go?
>>
>>1216283
Yup. My bro had same thing happen. People give him shit for wearing ear plugs.

He told me the story

Anytime im on my back welding i cover my ear withvthe other hand. Fuck a bur down mybglove get fucked out of my earhole main
>>
>>1216109
TOP FUGGIN KEK. Got a yard full of mowers here anon. Gonna street tag my lawn mower with a moped front end soon.

GIDDY UP!
>>
>>1216103
Mutherfuckers that talk shit must not understand...

Its cool anon. Ive had a hole saw my 280 pound ass couldnt keep hold of. Shit sucks
>>
>>1216080
Yup. Flesh wounds are fine. I hide from slag balls and shit bit ill let an ember go pretty deep before i start dancing.

And yeah. Ear hair sizzle is something u dont forget...
>>
File: 20170701_111017.png (485KB, 860x679px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_111017.png
485KB, 860x679px
>>1216074
Fuckin shaft anon.

Fell out a roof.

Down for over a year.

Metal plate and 8 screws.

#gimpinainteasy
>>
>>1215583
LOL. The future is here anon.

Mfw 80 years old bumbling around nursing home. Call someone a queer and its more offensive than any racial slur old people now use...
>>
>>1215583
I worked with two weebs at a machine shop a few years ago. They mostly talked about /pol/ though. I was even more autistic than they were though so I never joined their conversations. Also they ran CNCs while I was a machine monkey
>>
Since OP is talking about small injuries.

I have:
*Been cutting copper and wiped some loose burrs off with my thumb only to find I did not in fact have my glove on. Nice round scalpel cut at the end of your thumb makes for a great day at work.
*Been brazing copper and put the hot end of the silfoss into the back side of my knuckle. Hot silfoss sticks to skin by the way if you're curious.
*Been unbinding a fish tape and had 250' of tension whip back on my hands, everyone said I should go get the nail removed it healed just fine after about two months.
*Had people drop 200 lb drums on my fingers.
*Innumerable small cuts from 'I need my hand to be here to do X, I really wish this sharp piece of steel wasn't here, oh well'
>>
>>1214569
I worked with a guy that got a UTI from beating it in the bathroom at work at a steel plant. We used to hide earplugs in his jew fro
>>
>>1214569
>tfw you have to add an electromagnet to your Fleshlight
>>
>>1216203
Yeah but why even bother cleaning it at all if you're just gonna do a half assed job.
>>
Eh, I do TIG welding, so I don't get burnt too often. When it does happen it's usually from resting my arm on something hot. Luckily, burns on my arm never hurt much, I can burn the skin on my arm clean off and not be bothered by it, but a small first degree on one of my fingers fucks me up.
>>
File: luckystar.png (747KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
luckystar.png
747KB, 1600x1200px
>>1215583
animufag here, I'd love to work in a machine shop, got my own lathe and pillar drill though so I do a little machining every so often :)
>>
File: question.jpg (40KB, 480x346px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
40KB, 480x346px
P.S. OP is a pussy. why don't you just get some fucking massive gauntlets, that is literally not even barely a wound.
>>
>>1214548
>>1214564
This , also
WEAR SOME FUCKING PROTECTIONS!
i get with this heat you get well baked in your Leather jacked , but between Uv burnings and pieces of red hot metal flying around you can clearly choose which is better.
>>
>>1216057
>hole saw
Are you putting your hand next to the fucking bit or what?
>>
Does this kind of work require standing up a lot?
>>
>>1215583
I'm an autistic weeb/brony yet I still have a hot AF gf and am a design engineer at a small company
>>
>>1214548
eh, burn yourself more. Eventually you'll get to a point where burns barely even make you jump. I've sizzled more parts of my body in weird and random places than I could even recount. I work in vinyl extrusion do welding and hobbyist blacksmith.
>>
>>1217314
agreed
>>
>>1218364
>weeb
nice
>brony
why
>>
>>1217314
Goddamnit you're on this board too? Get a fucking job.
>>
>>1214548
I've been burned worse doing stupider stuff than welding without protective gear and I imagine being that fat is worse. How ya like that burn?

The eventual respiratory issues can be pretty shit too.
>>
>>1216057
>>1216103
>>1216521
This is why I hire Mexicans. They don't do stupid shit. And in the off chance that one is injured, they tough it out and work. I got one guy who definitely broke a bone in his forearm. He took the rest of the day off, cam back the next day with it wrapped tightly. It's been a two weeks and their is clearly a lump, not set right, but he's back throwing a hammer.
>>
>>1218583
>t. Mexican
>>
>>1214576
Oh yeah! I'll have you know I weld in the nude!

>>1214548
Seriously, invest in some rawhide leather.
>>
ITT retards bragging about how they retard while doing hazardous jobs without proper attention to safety and PPE.
>>
>>1214548

can we stop bumping this landwhale beast? I like to browse this board while I'm eating breakfast.
>>
>>1220116
imagine being this much of a faggot, all the time
>>
>>1214548
Don't be such a bitch, or just go nurse elderly people for your job or something. Fucking pussy.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.