[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you remove broken bolts, /diy/? note: not my pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 5.jpg (72KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
72KB, 960x720px
How do you remove broken bolts, /diy/?

note: not my pic found it on google
>>
File: 1.jpg (62KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
62KB, 470x470px
Heat plus left hand drill bits for when the bolt head is broken clean off, if there is a nub left over or just a super rounded bolt head I've had fabulous luck with easy outs (pic related).
>>
File: IMG_20170206_210232242-L.jpg (106KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_210232242-L.jpg
106KB, 799x450px
>>1214211
>Heat plus left hand drill bits for when the bolt head is broken clean off
This.
I'll also suggest PB-blaster.

>be me, racing snowmobile x-country
>about 50 miles into a 70-mile race
>rear suspension's not suspending anymore
>no transfer front-to-rear on the skid
>fuck it, still runs
>finish race
>load up, look at the rear skid
>shocks are still there, dafuq.jpg
>Drive home, let the sled thaw out
>hose it off at the car wash before I unload at home
>front axle shaft is no longer connected to the rails
>one bolt missing, other bolt sheared off
>somehow that shaft wedged inbetween two other bolts, and didn't fall out on the track
>home, unload, drop skid, disassemble, >pic related
>>
File: 17072312.2348.png (210KB, 481x360px) Image search: [Google]
17072312.2348.png
210KB, 481x360px
>>1214209
You're welcome.
>>
>>1214233
op wants it out, not mashed up to all fuck.
there are times to use these. i can't think of any, but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>1214209
It's called a cold chisel
>>
>>1214247
That's a band, anon.
>>
>>1214209
easy outs
>>
File: 50299040-1.jpg (51KB, 436x359px) Image search: [Google]
50299040-1.jpg
51KB, 436x359px
That was easy
>>
>>1214209
Anything 1/4 or smaller gets filed/ground smooth, punched and then drilled out with a left handed bit. Anything bigger I'll weld a steel bar onto the end and twist it out. The heat does the work for me.
>>
>>1214254
I had perfectly good success with the square style.

That was a chinesium bolt though.
>>
weld a nut to it
>>
If Its tungsten carbide in aluminium, use pickling spice or alum water, it will dissolved the drill bit and leave everything else alone.
>>
Best way to do it would be to set it up in a drill press with a cross slide. center drill, then drill with a drill of the proper tap drill size. Drill the thing out. Use proper tap to chase threads to clean them out.
>>
>>1214372
how long does that take? can i get it out if it's not completely dissolved? ex, like a steel bolt broke in an aluminum engine bracket or timing cover... could i let it soak like an hour and go at it and maybe it be lose enough to remove?
>>
>>1214233
If only it were that easy, you pillock.
>>
>>1214360
>Welders
Every time
>>
>>1214254
Came to post this.
>>
>>1214233
>head snaps off bolt
>hey, a pair of pliers should work better than the head of the bolt!
>surely the pliers will grip it better than the bolt head, which actually was part of the bolt
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.