[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What DIY skills would a modern renaissance man possess? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: leonardo.jpg (253KB, 605x864px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo.jpg
253KB, 605x864px
What DIY skills would a modern renaissance man possess? I'm not talking total self sufficiency or mastery of all fields, but a set of lowest common denominator skills and knowledge that overlap for maximum utility across a wide variety of tasks.
>>
File: Ankidroid.png (27KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Ankidroid.png
27KB, 256x256px
Bump
>>
>>1214086
1. Thanks for bumping this thread
2. Nice pic. I have spent thousands of hours on Anki. I used it to cram info for my profession, and to make thousands of French and Korean sentence audio cards.
>>
>>1214068
Computer knowledge
>>
>>1214108
How will this help you when communication infrastrctures disappear? Or electricity?
>>
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Robert A. Heinlein
>>
>>1214108
This is a good one. Basic programming skills have huge overlap with other fields, allowing one to multiply productivity a million times over in some situations.

>>1214113
In a dystopian Fallout scenario there are still people and places with computers and electricity, even primitive networks.
>>
>>1214113
And what, exactly is going to cause that to happen? All of the electrical generators on earth are just gonna disappear? All of the buried communication cables are all going to get eaten through by gophers at once? The only people that buy into this prepper shit don't understand how the world works. Something isn't going to just happen that causes us to warp back to the iron age.
>>
>>1214113
there was a show where they put a bunch of scientists in the wild with basic scavenged supplies and they built working generators. Electricity isnt going to disappear.
>>
>>1214068
Knowing how to stick metal together
>>
>>1214168
>there was a show where they put a bunch of scientists in the wild with basic scavenged supplies and they built working generators.

I do not believe this, unless they were in a scrap yard.

"scientists" cannot make copper wire and ferromagnetic cores in "the wild" at least not without years of work and then the proper ore has to be available.
>>
>>1214068
Archery
Basic Circuitry
Bone Setting
Basic Computer Programming
Electrical Wiring (high and low voltage)
Foraging
Gardening
Hunting
Landscaping
Machining
Marksmanship
Maritime Navigation
Orienteering
Plumbing Repair
Self Defense (Boxing + Judo)
Sewing
Sutures
Tool Repair
Welding
Wood Working

To name a few.
>>
>>1214443
Can do all but five at 19, feels good man.
>>
>>1214168
can you post a link? this sounds super interesting
>>
>>1214452
Congratulations, you're 3/4 of a man.
>>
>>1214363
They had scrap to work with. Usable stuff isnt going to magically disappear off the face of the earth in whatever fantasy shtf scenario you're talking about happening. It might become hard to find and you might have to kill a few cannibals and mutants to get an old microwave but unless every single person with any working knowledge of electricity, science or engineering is wiped out, it'll still be possible
>>
Bio hacking (body modification and chemists)
Computer hacking (hardware and software)
Mechanical engineer (able to modify any vehicles/machinery to sufficient degree)
Philosophy (understands modern ethics)
>>
>>1214068
>>
>>1214443
1. Jujitsu is superior to boxing and judo
2. Foraging isn't really very efficient and would only be necessary in apocalypse scenario, not emergencies
3. Sewing isn't really that necessary
4. Why archery, if guns?
This seems like an odd mix of Scouts goals and goals that would require technological advancement. Not to mention that learning most of those skills would not really give you much 'bang for your buck' value. Here's my list:

1. Basic level of expertise in general trades (Electrical, carpentry, plumbing, masonry, landscaping)
2. Great social skills
3. Moderate to advanced expertise in some form of art or music
4. Basic suvival skills
5. At least slightly fit, and strong
6. Basic to advanced computer knowledge
7. Financial literacy, enough to make a comfortable living if not more

The rest is additive
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.