[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these ladders actually safe? Normal ladders have a linkage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4770.jpg (320KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4770.jpg
320KB, 900x900px
Are these ladders actually safe?

Normal ladders have a linkage in the middle to keep the legs from spreading apart, while these have to rely on the top hinge. The design looks weak imho but it would be nice to have a step ladder/extension ladder all in one.
>>
>>1213296
>Are these ladders actually safe?

Yes because they weigh about three times as much as a normal ladder. On the rare occasion when it's exactly what you need, it's a wonderful ladder. The rest of the time it sucks, which is why you never see them on a job site unless it's a gay wallpaper man.
>>
The hinge seems pretty tough, four half-inch steel pegs through heavy plates. I wouldn't worry about it failing at the hinge any more than I'd worry about it failing at some random point along the frame.
>>
>>1213296
I've had one for quite a few years now. It's a big heavy bitch but in the rare instances when I need the functionality it's awesome. Most of the time I grab my werner aluminum 6 footer.
>>
I have used one of these ladders, extended to 20ft, over stadium seating in a movie theatre and not been worried. I have also used a ladder where i was worried while working 5ft off the ground. I plan on buying one of these for my home but damn the weight is crazy, the one i used for theatre work went to 24ft in A frame configuration, and i had to build a special cart to haul it around with.
>>
>>1213394
>damn the weight is crazy,

read this once, read this twice.

If you do normal shit, like build or maintain huge fucking houses, do not consider buying this piece of shit.

I suppose there are some situations where it's wonderful, but they have to be rare.
>>
which is why you never see them on a job site unless it's a gay wallpaper man.

Was on one of these ladders with some beam of 24/36 cm on my shoulder. Am neither gay nor wallpaper man. Felt perfectly safe.
>>
>>1213327

This. The hinges are probably the strongest part of the ladder.

They are heavy as fuck though, that's why they have wheels but the wheels are so small that they don't work on anything but smooth floor.

They are used a lot by A/C techs in my area because it prevents them from having to carry 4 ladders and keep running to the van to fetch a new one. They even have all kinds of attachments and honestly those A/C guys are amazingly efficient. Though, they are definitely a long term investment with their price.
>>
>>1213398
Heavy is relative. Spent several years slinging shingles and brick.
Rather have something that works everywhere I need it to and not have to go back to the truck or the shop.
But if all you do is go up a few feet then yea, they are overkill. But the better ones you can pull out the extension if you don't need it.
>>
>>1213398

Building - I agree, you tend to have 16 cheap ladders lying around a building site, excluding the ones haphazardly crafted by masons out of scrap ply and 1xsomethinf
Maintaining - I don't agree. Most building maintenance storage is already too small. And as a maintenance man myself I don't see why I have to run all the way back to the basement to head back up to the 16th floor because of some oddity. And it doesn't look good if I have to leave ladders lying around on different floors.
>>
>>1213404
>But if all you do is go up a few feet then yea, they are overkill

We are obviously not speaking the same language. I use 40 foot ladders every week or two.

If you like this ladder cool. If you want Joe homeboy to like this ladder that's cool too. He has to learn somehow or other.
>>
>>1213296

It's perfectly safe as long as the ground is level and stable.
>>
File: 81xngLYXmeL._SL1500_[1].jpg (157KB, 1500x1432px) Image search: [Google]
81xngLYXmeL._SL1500_[1].jpg
157KB, 1500x1432px
>>1213412
>It's perfectly safe as long as the ground is level and stable.

Doesn't even have to be level. I have one. Also
have the platform that goes on the treads. They're good.
>>
>>1213398
It was also a 24ft A Frame, no wheels, and i was usually moving it alone and up the stairs in movie theatres. Im going to get a small one for around the house, already have an extension ladder, and a small a frame
>>
They bought me one at work. Besides being heavy as fuck it's surprisingly versatile. I can go from a 6 ft step to a 15 ft extension in just a few steps, which is nice because I don't need to drag out another ladder while working. I also like that it's small and compact when folded up so I can maneuver it easier than most ladders. If your a pro using ladders all day I wouldn't recommend it, but if you just do handy man stuff and need a ladder occasionally it's nice.
>>
File: LittleGiantAltaOneInAction.jpg (44KB, 600x920px) Image search: [Google]
LittleGiantAltaOneInAction.jpg
44KB, 600x920px
I have a Little Giant 22.

The "right triangle" configuration and the ability to adjust the legs to use on stairs and uneven surfaces makes it extremely handy and gives it overall more utility than having both a step ladder and an extension ladder at your disposal. I will however say that it is a pain in the ass to use as an extension ladder, because in extension ladder mode you have to wrestle what is at minimum a heavy ass 13 ft long ladder over your head and into position.

>is it safe
Yes. The hinges are half inches thick and locked into its various positions by two half inch thick steel pins on each side. They are overbuilt if anything.
>>
>>1213296
No folding ladders for me.
Strong safe normal ladders only.

https://youtu.be/p8DI1kM6v0I
>>
>>1213326
When I was doing electrical all of the electricians had these ladder.

Very usefull that 2 full grown men + equipment can be supported

For example, hanging big heavy ligh fixtures.

Or you can slide them out flat and reach very high paces.

Heavy and expensive though.

>>1213646
Fucking hell how stupid can you be.
>>
>>1213812
I want to mention they were waku ladders, not the brand in OP
>>
heavy as fuck but the versatility and the freed space makes up for it
>>
>>1213296
no they are a gimmick. which is why no trades people use these. just get a 6' and 8' step and a 24' extension.
>>
File: giphy.gif (499KB, 430x322px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
499KB, 430x322px
>>1213296
sure ... you just have to have it locked
>>
>>1213850
Baloney. I don't have a monster one, it only goes up to around 12 foot I think but it's perfect to keep in the back of a truck. Great to have a 4-6 foot A frame ladder, and then a 8-12 foot regular ladder available at all times. That 12 foot one isn't really that heavy and is perfect for having around the house too.
>>
>>1213296
Work gave me a combo a frame/extension fiberglass ladder.

It's pretty nice. Get on most first floor roofs with no problem, way safer to get into attics on the extension than pulling yourself up.
>>
>>1213296

I have one that is nearly 30 years old (it actually has three hinge locations, you can set it up scaffolding, stair ladder, or regular ladder) thing is heavy as fuck but the thing hasn't failed in the years we've had it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.