[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /DIY/ I'm curious as to if any of you would know how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

Ok /DIY/ I'm curious as to if any of you would know how difficult it would be to rewire a motorcycle?
>>
>>1213216
Not bad. Just some time needed
>>
>>1213230
Is there certain gauges of wire and how would you regulate the power throughout?
>>
>>1213235
>Is there certain gauges of wire and how would you regulate the power throughout?

Can you go by the existing old wires to determine the gauge? If not you should find a wiring diagram or a smart guy. On a typical car harness much of the wire is the same size with a few larger wires here and there and of course the huge battery and starter cables.

The system itself "regulates" the power; the wires just carry the current, or as /diy/ says, the "amperage". Saying amperage instead of current will let people know that you are a pro.
>>
>>1213216
Depends if you find the connectors.
>>
File: DSC06454-L.jpg (168KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06454-L.jpg
168KB, 800x600px
>>1213216
Depends on the motorcycle.
And your skill level.

All of the electrical aside from the ignition circuit is my design. My harness, my light controller, my key switch.
Even went so far to rewind the stator to give me a bit more power. Used to have a couple poles to a small vreg to charge the battery, and the remainder of the poles for an AC light circuit. Rewired everything to DC, bigger reg/rect. No more dim headlights at idle.
>>
>>1213557
>Even went so far to rewind the stator to give me a bit more power. Used to have a couple poles to a small vreg to charge the battery, and the remainder of the poles for an AC light circuit. Rewired everything to DC, bigger reg/rect. No more dim headlights at idle.

This is impressive. I'd love to see lots of pics. It's hard as hell to remove the winding from a stator, much less rewind it by hand.
>>
>>1213216
It is a mutherfucker...
>>
>>1213216
did an old vespa once - found all the wire colors and gauges at the surplus store, used a diagram and built a whole new loom.
hardest part is dealing with old switches and other components - if you know the model and spec you'll be able to find them though.
>>
>>1213216
pic related would not be too hard. totally depends on the bike. get a good diagram and start at it. its not like there are a lot of places for the wire to hide
>>
File: DSC06207-L.jpg (143KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06207-L.jpg
143KB, 800x600px
>>1213717
>I'd love to see lots of pics. It's hard as hell to remove the winding from a stator, much less rewind it by hand.
Being a single-phase stator it wasn't too bad.
1/?
>>
File: DSC06211-L.jpg (164KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06211-L.jpg
164KB, 800x600px
>>1213981
Find the "loose end" and start tugging. Scribble on the end of the pole which direction the wire's wound.

Even with Mechanix gloves on, the epoxy still tore the fuck out of my hands.
2/?
>>
File: DSC06220-L.jpg (144KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06220-L.jpg
144KB, 800x600px
>>1213984
Clean everything up, use some emery cloth to scrape the epoxy off the end of the new magnet wire, solder that to the tab on the stator.

Followed a how-to online for rewinding it, so I didn't worry too much about keeping the directions on the end of the poles. Brake cleaner took 'em all right off.
>>
File: DSC06223-L.jpg (145KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06223-L.jpg
145KB, 800x600px
>>1213986
Boring-as-fuck job... couple wraps, shove everything down, couple more wraps, shove everything down... repeat pole after pole...
iirc it took me about 2 hours to wind it.
4/?
>>
File: DSC06433-L.jpg (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06433-L.jpg
171KB, 800x600px
>>1213988
With everything wound/terminated, I pulled new wires for the harness too. Old ones were melted/brittle on the stator.
5/?
>>
File: DSC06438-L.jpg (197KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06438-L.jpg
197KB, 800x600px
>>1213989
Bought a spray-on varnish to coat the windings with... "For industrial use only", "Use only with adequate ventilation", "Extremely flammable vapor and liquid", etc etc...
"How bad can it be?"
Answer: Pretty fucking bad. Masked off a table, pulled on gloves and started spraying this shit in my driveway - ended up taking it to the office and finishing it under the fume hood. I'd say it's one of the worst aerosols i've used, ever.
Reinstalled/reconnected, tested in >>1213557 pic. Been running it ever since with no issues.

Need to get in there and replace battery/v.reg, but I know the problem now isn't with the stator.
Been running with my setup for ... photos are dated may of 2011.
6/6
>>
File: floatstator-S.png (14KB, 358x300px) Image search: [Google]
floatstator-S.png
14KB, 358x300px
>>1213557
>Used to have a couple poles to a small vreg to charge the battery, and the remainder of the poles for an AC light circuit. Rewired everything to DC, bigger reg/rect. No more dim headlights at idle.
>>1213717
Sch related
>>
>>1213997

Ok, I did not expect this. Nice work.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.