[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ im taking the motor out of this old craftsman self

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 1500596898936550645965.jpg (1MB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1500596898936550645965.jpg
1MB, 2240x1344px
Hey /diy/ im taking the motor out of this old craftsman self propelled lawn mower and i was thinking about going and putting it on a bike (you can kinda see it in the pic) i was wondering how do i go on about doing this, I've searched the youtubes and havent come across anything of much use, is it even worth doing and how hard do you believe it will be? Give advice and opinions please
>>
>>1212882
> i was wondering how do i go on about doing this

You dont. There is a reason you wont find any info on it. Horizontal motors are cheap
>>
>>1212901
Its possible and altho its probably a hassle to put together its a fun little diy, dont have to be so negative, if i wanted negativity i would have gone on /pol/
>>
>>1212906
>dont have to be so negative
Im sorry I didnt tell you what you wanted to hear

Let me put it to you another way.
Stop being a poorfaggot and buy the proper motor for your project.
Its not a "fun little diy" its a "im trying to be a cheap fuck" move.

The motor HAS to stay upright or you will destroy it. A right angle gearing will be large heavy, have parasitic power loss, and literally more expensive than just buying a motor.

Do you think you are the first person to have this idea?
No?
Then why did everyone else scrap the idea?
>>
>>1212909
Ay i see you are a sage that knows of every person that has done this and all of said people have scraped this, i guess those videos on YouTube are a hoax huh?
>Inb4 hurr durr if utube works go on there faggot xddd
They only show videos of it working not putting it together, kys
>>
>>1212909
>Its not a "fun little diy" its a "im trying to be a cheap fuck" move.
"This is a NO FUN ZONE" -Anon
Kys
>>
>>1212919
>Ay i see you are a sage that knows of every person that has done this and all of said people have scraped this

Nah, I have just been in the go kart and mini bike hobby for the last 15 years. Im not a sage, but at least ive been around long enough to see tons of people on the forums say "ive got an old lanwmower, let me build a minibike!".
Just because some misguided retards have actually gone through done it doesnt mean its a good idea.

>>1212921
Making a decent and usable bike is whats actually fun. Dumping time and money into a pit out of spite, then ending up with a piece of garbage is not "fun"
But go ahead and defy conventional wisdom.

I implore you to go to one of the many Go Kart and Mini Bike specific forums and ask away. Im sure theyll be a whole lot less negative to you... kek
>>
> its another "help me bolt random junk to other pieces of random junk" thread.

There is a reason you are finding fuck all examples of other peoples work anon. But hey, antagonise the board. That will definitely help. The other guy is right. It is an unsuitable motor. If you insist upon crying because the bad man told you things you don't like at least do it elsewhere.

>>1212921
And whats your suggested way around the issues at hand you useless snippy cunt?
>>
>>1212882
you should look on the internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbc6yx_dR9M
> your exact engine model
>>
there are plenty of kits to help you motorize a bike that you can buy. Electric ones are simple as pie and are still bicycles, get less range, motorized ones are much harder, more expensive, and have more legal issues, but can go further per trip in general.

Also, worry about the durability of the bike, bad brakes, axles, forks or poor quality spokes and rims can be a nightmare when you make the bike have more torque. Mountain bikes and hybrids work the best. You'll have more issues with chains and gears than the motor, bicycles are under built and light.
>>
File: 20170722_125048.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170722_125048.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212882
I saw this yesterday at a local convenience store.
Not a lawn mower, but related.

Notice there's no front brakes.
I also like that the bike is locked (to itself), but somebody could just walk off with the leaf blower.
>>
>>1214427
thats gotta be a fucking joke...

That cant possibly be practical.... or worth it.
>>
Why would you bother when you can pick up a proper bicycle motor off Ebay for a couple hundred which is designed to easily bolt up to your frame and come with everything you need.
But most importantly the Ebay kits come with a real working cable
C L U T C H
L
U
T
C
H
>>
File: on the internet.webm (1MB, 726x504px) Image search: [Google]
on the internet.webm
1MB, 726x504px
>>1214430
>>1214427
This is 100% real, you can reach about 55MPH/88.5KPH wit this type of setup.
>>
File: 1327600934745.jpg (268KB, 899x634px) Image search: [Google]
1327600934745.jpg
268KB, 899x634px
>>1214433
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 2612x980px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 2612x980px
>no one ever does this
>i can't find anything online

Not only are people retarded ITT, but the OP can't even google. Thus, I proclaim this thread to be hidden from now on.
>>
File: 1500327618764.png (563KB, 735x490px) Image search: [Google]
1500327618764.png
563KB, 735x490px
>>1214436
>>
>>1214437
You can buy pre-made motorized bicycles and E-bikes, they are usually 1500-4000 dollars and avoid all the work.

Buying a kit means you can attach it to a bike you already own, and get a better engine, motor, or battery for the same price or much lower. Also, buying all the parts separately is usually more expensive.
>>
>>1212882
>I've searched the youtubes
no you didn't, there are video all over youtube on how to do this. I am subscribed to a channel right now, where the guy does this all the time.
>>
>>1214780
This is /diy/ not /buy/, kid. People who do what the OP wants to do already have most of the main parts laying around from other things. You'd be amazed at what someone can do with an angle grinder, a blow torch, and some junk.
>>
>>1214780
'you can buy diy motorized 2 stroke kits on that very same site for 100 what is your point?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.