[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is to construct a steam bike? The only people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Steam1.jpg (78KB, 550x432px) Image search: [Google]
Steam1.jpg
78KB, 550x432px
How difficult is to construct a steam bike?

The only people I see making them are old men. I'm guessing its rather difficult.

Also how dangerous is it? Is it true that they could easily explode and kill you?
>>
>How difficult is to construct a steam bike?

Comparatively if you have the know-how and tools? Not particularly difficult

If you lack the know-how and tools? Impossible

>Also how dangerous is it?
You will die if you try to make a steam boiler without knowing what you're doing.
Something as simple as a water inlet blockage allowing the boiler to dry out, then you hit a bump, the blockage releases, water hits the dry hot boiler. You just died.

Steam power isn't something you fuck with at anything greater than miniature hobbyist sizes; a boiler big enough to move a bike and you along with it will turn you into a pale pink cloud of hot steam.
>>
the hudspith steam bicycle uses a gas-fuelled flash generator, honestly those are pretty safe. certainly safer than an espresso machine.
>>
150 years ago called, they'd like their bike back.
>>
>>1212893
I'm wondering how many accidents were there with steam engines back in the day when they were used in locomotives. Were they common?
>>
>>1213115
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boiler_explosions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASME_Boiler_and_Pressure_Vessel_Code

Often enough that codes were developed and enforced.
>>
>>1213118
>The Hague Street Explosion
>67 dead
horey shet
>>
File: Grover_Shoe_Factory_before_after.jpg (534KB, 954x1228px) Image search: [Google]
Grover_Shoe_Factory_before_after.jpg
534KB, 954x1228px
>>1213118
There's some interesting stuff in those disasters listed,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Shoe_Factory_disaster

>Between 1880 and 1890 there were over 2000 boiler explosions in the United States.

>Police later related the story of a worker so dazed that he left the scene, applied for a job at another shoe factory, worked all day, then went home to find his family mourning him.[7]

Dazed or extremely conscientious of the fact there were 100s of other shoe workers who just lost their jobs and would need new ones? Probably both.
>>
>>1212875
Looks good for a cold day, nothing like toasty testes to get you going in the morning. Also is that a fucking carbide lamp on the front?
>>
>>1212875
>>
>>1213124
I went on a tour of an ice cave in Austria. They gave us carbide lamps and the guide also had magnesium strips he would burn to show some features. There was no electric lighting inside
>>
>>1213195
Was this recently? I know that the battery and LED tech from the last decade or so have contributed in replacing them, but some places still use carbide.
>>
>>1212875
Enjoy having your legs blown fifty feet in opposite directions.
>>
File: 654982763046959562396.gif (376KB, 500x264px) Image search: [Google]
654982763046959562396.gif
376KB, 500x264px
>>1213136
welp
>>
>>1213745
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_H._Roper

>Death while riding

>On June 1, 1896, Roper rode one of his later velocipede models, a Pope Manufacturing Company Columbia bicycle with a steam engine added,[19] to the Charles River bicycle track, near Harvard Bridge, Cambridge, Massachusetts where he made several laps, pacing bicyclists there, including professional rider Tom Butler[20] who could not keep up with the steam powered machine.[8] Roper was clocked at 2 minutes 1.4 seconds for the flying mile, for a top speed 40 mph (64 km/h)[8][19] He was seen to wobble and then fall on the track, suffering a head wound, and was found dead.[8] After autopsy, the cause of death was found to be heart failure, although it is unknown if the crash was the cause of the stress on his heart, or if his heart failed prior to the crash.[8]

Imagine if he had not died. We might still have a culture of bicycle steam engines. Although, there'd be youtube vids of people getting blown up on them too. Perhaps it was fate that he died. It unfortunate that steam tech is so dangerous for the average person who doesn't pay attention or doesn't operate things properly. Then again, if we had more steam tech like that, there'd be less stupid people in the world.
>>
>>1213118
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boiler_explosions
>Sultana
>1,192 dead

>Sultana
>"The term sultana is a feminine form of the word sultan (Arabic: سلطان)"

>On the morning of April 15, she was tied up at Cairo, Illinois
>CAIRO

>April 27
>4 2 7
>2 + 7 = 9
>4 + 7 = 11
>9/11

VAPOURS DOTH NOT MELT STEEL BOILERS
ARISE YE GENTLESHEEP FROM YE SLUMBER!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.