[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ stupid question from a not-so-handy handyman. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Hey /diy/ stupid question from a not-so-handy handyman.

The apartment I live in gets bugs, and I'm about 90% sure they are coming through the windows. All of the windows in my apartment are these single-pane pieces of junk, and they all have about a quarter-inch clearing between the screen and the top of the window.

I found a dead stink bug stuck in there the other day, so that's how I know they're coming in that way. How would you guys seal this off completely?
>>
There are also these slots that go straight outside as well, on the bottom of the screens on either side.

I tried covering the top area in duct tape, but that didn't do a whole hell of a lot.
>>
>>1212825
Ayy
I, too, have shitty windows in the room I'm renting
I just duct taped the edges of the screens all the way around to seal them
Black tape on black windows doesn't look too bad.
It's held up for about 6 months but it's starting to come off on one edge, most likely from constantly being peeled up by the sliding action of the window.
If you're cheap like me and trashy appearance isn't a problem, then it's an option.
>>
>>1212870
Also FYI my inspiration for this ghetto fix came from the fact that my boss put gorilla tape on top of the boxes on his work truck because his dog was cutting his neck/face on the metal panels. The tape is frayed but is still intact after several years of sun, wind, rain, and dog face rubbing. So I thought it would work well for a window screen where it would experience similar conditions.

Also, if you know anything about flashing (as in waterproofing) just follow the same guidelines and the tape will help keep water out.
>>
>>1212825
>how do i seal this window
I assume you've tried window sealing plastic?
>>
File: 71KKelUMFsL._SL1500_.jpg (186KB, 1500x1333px) Image search: [Google]
71KKelUMFsL._SL1500_.jpg
186KB, 1500x1333px
>>1214100
This
Get the plastic window insulation. Its like heavy duty saran wrap. You double sided tape it to the trim and then use a hair dryer on it, it shrinks and gets tight.

Usually you would use it in the winter to keep the heat inside of your home and the cold drafts out.
>>
>>1212827
something like that could be filled with exterior silicone caulk

get a better picture of other area

try adhesive foam weather stripping, or a piece of air conditioner foam seal and secure it with gorilla tap
>>
Pine oil and/or cayenne pepper deters pretty much everything, including any reptiles and birds.
>>
>>1214122
This is the best method. Dap makes a great exterior caulk
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.