[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ive got an old car I own outside my garage that needs to be moved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
Ive got an old car I own outside my garage that needs to be moved but the keys have gone missing ages ago. How can I hotwire it to move it. Ive checked that its gassed and everything serms to be working.
>>
>>1212805
Call 911 and turn yourself in now to save us the tax dollars kiddo
>>
File: 1500586516417.jpg (40KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1500586516417.jpg
40KB, 680x383px
>>1212806
>>
Theres 4 or 5 wires coming out of the back of your ignition barrel. One is positive (power), one will turn over your starter motor and the other are your accessories (which need power to keep the car running). If you dont know which is which, strip back all the wires and touch them together one at a time until you find the one that can both turn over the engine and light up the dash. This is your power. To start car connect all wires that don't turn over your engine and twist them together (if they come off the engine will shut down) and then touch the starter motor wire to them until your car starts
>>
>>1212847
However you won't be able to steer with the steering lock engaged
>>
>>1212848

You just wrench it back and forth and you can break it easy peasy
>>
>>1212848
Thats fine i just need to move ut down tge driveway.
>>
Totally not suspicious. On a totally unrelated note, I lost the keys to my house. How can I silently pick the lock and turn off a burglar alarm quickly? I don't want to wake the baby.
>>
>>1212851
Then just put it in neutral and roll it you retard.
>>
>>1212805
Buy a new ignition cylinder? They usually come with a new key.
>>
>>1212874
Maybe it's a flat driveway?
>>
>>1212874
OP probably has an automatic
>>
>>1212888
need the old key to get the cyl out
>>
>>1212957
Read the manual that should be in the glovebox to find the release catch for the automatic. there's usually a plastic cover over it but pry that up and push the button and it will pop it out of gear. You will probably want to put it on chocks or something though, because the parking brake is a backup, the engine is what mostly keeps cars stopped.
>>
>>1212961
>because the parking brake is a backup, the engine is what mostly keeps cars stopped.

Cars with automatic transmissions do not engage the engine when set in park. They have a tiny, itty, bitty, little pawl in the transmission that locks the tranny in place. The park setting is NOT the primary means of keeping a car in place when parked. It is the backup. The PARKING BRAKE is the primary means. If you think it is the backup then you are an idiot and probably a shit driver. You engage the parking brake first and then put the tranny in park after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl
>>
File: 1200px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg (39KB, 1200x430px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Screw_Driver_display.jpg
39KB, 1200x430px
>>1212958
You already have one.
>>
>>1213052
>If you think it is the backup then you are an idiot and probably a shit driver.

Its called an emergency brake for a reason
>>
>>1213224
That is a very specific colloquialism to the US and is nothing to do with being a backup to the engine holding the car which is fucking idiotic it comes from being a backup in case of foot brake failure I.e an actual emergency.
In most parts it's a hand brake because you operate it by hand or more properly the parking brake because that is literally it's primary purpose.
If you leave your car in gear while parked instead of using the brake you are literally relying on the friction of your unlubricated pistons scraping the shit out of your engine block.
>>
>>1213256
>you are literally relying on the friction of your unlubricated pistons scraping the shit out of your engine block.

Jesus fucking christ I love this board.
>>
>>1212958
>need the old key to get the cyl out
Depends on the model. Lots of them can be removed once you take off the plastic cladding.
>>
Moved as in just moved around or as in driven somewhere else?
I bought a couple pairs of vehicle dollies from Horror Fraught early this summer for my project car. They work great on cement in the back and garage.
>>
>>1213256
> it comes from being a backup in case of foot brake failure I.e an actual emergency.

Yeah, its it main purpose is to apply the brakes when your lose pedal.

>you operate it by hand

The majority of them are stomp pedals nowadays. The only time you use should bother using them for parking is when you are parking on a very large hills.

>If you leave your car in gear while parked instead of using the brake you are literally relying on the friction of your unlubricated pistons scraping the shit out of your engine block.

In an automatic, breaking parking pawls is pretty much unheard of. The way the gearing works, it doesnt put this gigantic amount of pressure on them like you are implying, auto transmissions have been around since the 50s. If it were a glaring problem it would have been fixed 60 years ago.

As for your "unlubricated pistons scraping the shit out of your engine block", are you actually implying that turning the engine over cold is going to damage it?
Every time a mechanic hand turns the engine over its going to damage it?

Literally every single time you start your car, there is 2-3 seconds of your engine running before oil flies up through the passages.
The reason it DOESNT hurt your engine is because oil is sticky and coats the inside of the block. If you left it sitting 8 months eventually gravity will make it dry, then you have a point.

And you know what? The recommended thing to do at that point is it HAND TURN THE ENGINE OVER 5-10 TIME to pump oil through the oil passages

>>1213258
What do you love about it?
Any retard can spout absolute horse shit?
>>
>>1213328
>The recommended thing to do at that point is it HAND TURN THE ENGINE OVER 5-10 TIME to pump oil through the oil passages

On some engines, if it's dry, like a new rebuild, you use an electric drill to turn a dummy distributor shaft which is what turns the oil pump. Then again, they might have gone away from this design 30 years ago. Simply turning the crankshaft slowly 10 times is not going to build up any oil pressure, but it might distribute what is already there on the bearings if there is any.
>>
Unless you're scrapping it, order a new key
>>
>>1213224
Its a parking brake not emergency brake.
>>
turn cylinder with flat head if it wont turn over that way then get the power to the on poistion and jump the 30/87 on the starter relay that should do the trick.
>>
Take your registration or title to dealer, have them cut new key from VIN.
>>
>>1213328
Wtf you don't manually pump your oil through a preheater and around the pistons before starting you car? Fucking amateur hour over here
>>
>>1214511
Heaters warm the engine block, they don't push oil around
>>
>>1214512
> manually pump
Please read things fully thank you
>>
>>1213328
To be fair, most engine wear accumulates over time from that 2-3 seconds of insufficient lubrication.
>>
>>1215018
Yeah thats true, but id venture to say the immense operating pressures of the engine play a huge role in that. Turning by hand is different
>>
File: best-car-dolly.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
best-car-dolly.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>1212805
Buy or borrow these. Jack it up, push it all over town if u want.

Chok the wheels or set shit in front of them or take the car off after tho.

>faggot friend leans on the car
>shoves the entire thing into the fucking wall.

Been there.
>>
>>1213258
AHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1493319788194s.jpg (2KB, 87x125px) Image search: [Google]
1493319788194s.jpg
2KB, 87x125px
>>1214092
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.