[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /diy/ , how are you. Before reading this, let me preface

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: rsz_1img_20170720_201935.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1img_20170720_201935.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
hello /diy/ , how are you. Before reading this, let me preface you. I am not a professional, I am a hobbyist. Ok, my father was a carpenter in his spare time, and after he died, I was left with his workshop. Now after some time, and some dicking around with the tools in there, I realized that he intended to use the lathe in pic related for turning metal, since it has that 2 axis thing ( not a professional, pls no kill ). What I ask of you is what improvements can I make?
>>
File: rsz_img_20170720_202010.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20170720_202010.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
My main issue is with this part. Since it's basically cobbled up from a bike chain and spocket. The problem is that it doesn't move finely enough, if you catch my point.
>>
>>1212651

this thread is awesome. be patient, sir. we'll figure it out.

and we would have loved your dad. Hopefully the apple did not fall too far from the tree.
>>
File: rsz_img_20170720_201959.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20170720_201959.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
>>1212739
I did not expect this. thank you. I actually think he was that kind of man, yes. He did teach me to appreciate craftsmanship. I'll just drop this in here too, just in case.
>>
>>1212756
When you say it doesn't move finely enough, does it seem that the sprocket isn't lined up with the chain, the crank has too much resistance, the surface of the rail and the mount has too much resistance, or maybe some combination of all that? I would start by cleaning and lubing surfaces. If that doesn't do it, look for bearings and surfaces that you might have to pull stuff apart to get to (an axle, bearing, however that crank is put together) and making sure things aren't set too tight or too loose.
>>
>>1212766
It is lubed up. That's what's in that cream colored box on it. What I mean is, it's not accurate enough. As in when you turn that big wheel, it moves the entire thing along the bench. But it doesn't allow for finer movements. What I thought was replacing that entire sprocket and chain system for something along the lines of a gear and maybe some teeth cut in the edge of the table itself. Although I don't think I'll manage to do that
>>
>>1212766
I've also thought about changing the crank handle on the bigger wheel, just to get a better grip on it. Might turn it out of wood since I can do that pretty well. Got some nice cherry wood I can use
>>
oh and one more thing. I almost forgot. I don't have a chuck for the actual cutting heads. so I'll have to make one, since getting one is next to impossible here where I live.
>>
File: chisels for wood turning.jpg (171KB, 1181x714px) Image search: [Google]
chisels for wood turning.jpg
171KB, 1181x714px
>>1212649
This machine is too weak to turn metal. You should install centre and support. Chisel should be like these:
>>
>>1212801
weak as in the motor is to small? and yes, it was mostly used for wood turning. I have some tools.
>>
>>1212649
wood and metal lathes are quite different machines.

stick to wood with this one.
there is lots of cool stuff you can make with a wood lathe.
be careful and have fun.
>>
File: condensers.jpg (1MB, 1556x1187px) Image search: [Google]
condensers.jpg
1MB, 1556x1187px
>>1212804
The engine is weak for metal cutting and it has a belt gear. You should clean and paint it. Also you should check all electric parts and isolate these condensers.
>>
>>1212649
>>1212651

Nah, that's a wood lathe, it's got a socket for the tool rest and it's nowhere near rigid enough to turn metal. Your father was one hell of a /diy/er to have made that, by the way. I like the chain-as-rack setup. Honestly, I'd just clean it up and use it as-is.
>>
File: drill.jpg (12KB, 105x258px) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
12KB, 105x258px
And if you want to make chairs or tables, you should have one of these drills.
>>
>>1212649
>>1212777
so a few thoughts. You may need/want to add tensioners on each side of the sprocket, to push the chain down to fully engage it. It looks like (to me, also an uneducated hobbyist) theres a gap and only the tip of the sprocket is in the gears, so there's a lot of play.
also, a lot of lathes I have seen have a quick adjust to move the tool rest quickly, and then a micro adjuster to make fine adjustments. Usually with a lever clamp to freeze the big one. So add a clamp that freezes the tool rest to the bed, and bolt onto it a smaller table with a screw adjustment with minimal slop to move it the last 2-3".

also, even for a wood lathe, it's helpful to have a screw advance for things like turning accurate tenons on legs to fit into a hole, so you don't accidentally make them conical etc.

I was going to say it didn't look like you had a tailstock, but I see it there in the back.

Um, one advantage of using a leadscrew instead of a rack and pinion advance for the tool rest is that you can gear it to the flywheel and get spiral/screw shapes.
>>
>>1212777

A gear with fewer teeth may help.
>>
>>1212813
>condensers
Capacitors
>>
>>1212821
I should. But they're hella expensive, even second hand here.
>>1212815
He actually built a table saw too. He was indeed, one hell of a /diy/ER. Mostly because shit like that is very scarce and expensive.
>>
>>1213024
Wouldn't it be more teeth for finer movement?
>>
I'd replace the rack and pinion with lead screws. Then I'd encode and drive them with steppers or servos.
>>
>>1213357
that sounds actually awesome, albeit complicated.
>>
Atm im guessing you are using a rest for your tools and stuff which is cool and all but if you want to seriously turn metal with that type of chuck you need to get carbide tipped tools or carbide inserts and holders and then figure out a way to rig them on with some ridgedness to them.
>>
>>1213061
Yeah but if you are turning metal you want power behind each rotation. Speed dose not matter as much as power does. Speeds and feeds only determine surface finish and cutting efficiency raw power at a lower rpm is mandatory tho.
>>
>>1213363
yea, I've been trying to think of some kind of chuck. I'll probably figure something out in a few weeks when I actually have time for tinkering in there. maybe I'll figure out a way to make a drill press, since I kinda need one.
>>
>>1213359
It's not. Just a bit pricey.

But then you'll be able to do pretty wild shit cause it can become cnc.
>>
>>1213471
I think that goes beyond the scope of hobbyist. Also I'm 19, I don't have an income, and I can't ask that much from my mother.
>>
File: condenser.png (56KB, 629x673px) Image search: [Google]
condenser.png
56KB, 629x673px
>>1213025
>>condensers
>Capacitors
>>
File: giant boring bar.jpg (396KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
giant boring bar.jpg
396KB, 1920x1080px
>>1212649
scrape all the old bullshit paint off of it, then craft a saddle that straddles the ways and both absorbs downward cutting forces and front/back motion, might be able to use the one on there with some mods.

put a "rack" on the ways if you can, and a gear or two connected to the hand-wheel.

really though OP, just buy a used lathe. It can't be worse than trying to turn a wood lathe into a metal lathe...

>>1212804
>>1212813
rigidity is going to be shit too.

buy a metal lathe... The beds on them are massive chunks of grey cast iron.
>>
File: farside of the lathe.jpg (455KB, 2028x1140px) Image search: [Google]
farside of the lathe.jpg
455KB, 2028x1140px
>>1214255
>>
File: tailstock 2.jpg (545KB, 2028x1140px) Image search: [Google]
tailstock 2.jpg
545KB, 2028x1140px
>>1213370
The head of the drill press is a complicated assembly.
>>
>>1213698

> Use with wood and make cool stuff to sell and make money to upgrade and make your mother proud.

Best of luck Anon, you're a lucky guy to get access to all these tools. Sorry about your father, I'm sure he would be happy you're taking a interest :)
>>
>>1214255
Yeah, I thought It might not have enough mass. I'm still gonna try it tho. Worst of luck, it might not work but I'll get some welding experience. I may be able to turn brass. And buying a new lathe is basically impossible, since Amazon doesn't deliver in my country and the ones here are either massive or super expensive. Aka shit a 19yo can't afford.
>>
>>1214396
>I may be able to turn brass

Aluminum is easy too. And if you have trouble with rigidity or mass you can either take shallower cuts at lower speeds or limit your work to the diameter that behaves.

I have the tiny Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe which is more like 3x6 in terms of what it can do (dimensions are inches), but even with that toy I find frequent uses for it. Not many things I encounter actually need being able to handle huge chunks of steel; it would be nice to have a huge industrial lathe, but anything that can do accurate work on smaller pieces is a handy tool to have.

Keep us updated on your progress. I'd like to extend the bed on mine to handle longer pieces, and maybe I'll learn something from your efforts.
>>
>>1214402
I have a huge ass bed on mine as you can see. I'll see what I can do. Will start working on it after the 26th since I have some college admissions exams and I can't do jack shit until then. I also plan on building a forge and a milling machine. I'll probably make some other threads later on though. I do appreciate the help by the way.
>>
>>1213363
Nothing wrong with a 3 jaw chuck for beginers. You don't need carbide. At my tafe we couldn't use carbide cutters for the first 6 months. All HSS. Gives you a better application for cutting angles, rake and surface finish. Sure you will need to sharpen them a bit but you are likely to chip carbide bits when starting off.
>>
>>1214274
I have been using it with wood for some time. made like a round box for a pendant, a friend asked me for her bf. Also a lot of pointless balls and shit like that. I even cought my hand under it in the beginning cuz I'm a retard, but I was wearing gloves so I was fine.
>>
>>1214396
>dead father
>shit a nineteen year old can't afford
What bumfuck country do you live in where life expectancy is lower than 50?
>>
>>1214495
It's not. He died of cancer in '07. And I live in bumfuck Romania, which explains why I can't buy shit from Amazon
>>
>>1213698
If you look around like say cnczone or even talk to machine shops you might find something useful.

Just remember about 30 thou us 1/32 of an inch. I bet ud be able to be able to achieve good resolution just with that rack and pinion depending on your preload.

Also, it's totally a hobbist thing. Check that site out you'll see.
>>
>>1214668
There is no such thing as machine shops here, that's why I'm trying to fit the diy'd lathe
>>
>>1214994
Who needs a machine shop..
https://www.cncrouterparts.com
>>
> 1215228
>routers
>flimsy motors on flimsy frames
(You)
>>
>>1215387
I use spindles personally.

The 8020 stuff helps with alot of shit for wood, but not metal.

Figured it would give OP perspective.
>>
>>1214418
Anon, was reading through this. Basic lathe safety: DON'T wear gloves. Not wearing gloves = possible slice in hand. Wearing gloves = fabric snags on workpiece and wraps your arm around it snapping several bones.
on bigger lathes it can kill.

aluminum can be cut with basic woodworking tools, but the chips you get are different and it can short out motors if you're not careful about where they end up. Also, aluminum dust + iron dust = thermite = don't let it catch on fire lol.

>>1213359
leadscrew is basically a threaded rod = cheap. mount it with bushings so it can spin, and just cut wooden gears or attach a belt to a motor. you can use stepper motors and get it to spin a specific # of rpm that way.
Another approach I've seen is to use a pair of cheap motors, one to spin the leadscrew and another to operate a brake. add a cheap webcam and a wooden disk with colors painted on it, and program a controller to interpret the colors of the disc to tell it when to engage the brake and shut off the power to the motor.
Stepper motors are great because they have that built in, but that's expensive and rare to find salvage, and if you are using shit you can salvage, that'll be a ton cheaper. also, it can be a shitty webcam since you're going to gear down the motor for torque so it shouldn't spin super fast. No idea how to program it though lol.
>>
>>1214532
Screwfix.eu and axminster.co.uk both deliver to the entire EU.

Screwfix even has free delivery for orders over 70 euros. Axminster is meanwhile hella cheap because of the weak pound.

t. Fellow Eastern Euro
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.