[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Furniture with the welds grinded down. Does anyone know why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

Furniture with the welds grinded down.

Does anyone know why there is a growing trend of people just grinding/sanding their welds down to bare steel and leaving it, not powder coating or oil heating it black again?
>>
I'm seeing this everywhere recently
>>
>>1212537
>>
>>1212535
Has that 'industrial' look. Not putting something like a matte polyurethane coating on it means it's going to rust eventually. Not the look most people are after.

Architect thought corten steel counters would look 'cool' in a coffee shop near me. Counter now has rust rings where coffee cups have been set.
>>
>>1212535

Our old workshop foreman used to have the apprentices make a stool for the shop,I have often think about picking them up out of the scrap pile and selling them as trendy hip stools for coffee shops.
>>
the new trend: unskillful shitty/"rustic" work by gobbled up by clueless degenerates!
>>
>>1212535
'higher-end' shit will all be clear-sealed tho, no?
>>
buzzzzzz
>>
>>1212535
That's a neat chair but they forgot to remove the mill scale and do the finishing.
>>
>>1212564

>Counter now has rust rings where coffee cups have been set.

uh yes, its a weathering steel dipshit, the whole point is that those rust rings are stable, unlike rust on a regular steel alloy
>>
>>1212652
I would suspect that it doesn't meet food sanitation codes, though.
>>
File: no i don't want that pumpkin.png (334KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
no i don't want that pumpkin.png
334KB, 512x512px
>>1212535

The fuck is this garbage?

Look, despite my voiced opinion, I'm actually mostly okay with a lot of the hipster garbage. A lot of times, it has a workable aesthetic, even if it tends to be horrendously overpriced and difficult to fit in unless the rest of the space is also designed the same way.

But this shit is just unfinished, and, more importantly, it LOOKS unfinished or, worse, outright damaged. Christ.
>>
>>1212665
I don't think it matters unless it's a prep or holding surface, but maybe some states would prohibit it. I worked at a place that put french fries in damned near anything gimicky. Health dept. didn't care for the most part, so long as there was wax paper between the food and the container. I still thought it was shitty.
>>
>>1212652
>its a weathering steel

Uniform weathering is one thing. Coffee cup rust rings look like shit.
>>
>>1212609
Sealing it removes the authenticity.
>>
File: IMG_1262.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1262.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I wasn't even aiming to be cool, I just am.
>>
File: IMG_1264.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1264.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212891
Here's close look at one of the welds. I left if it like that, just wire wheeled it, and put the chair back together. If it rust, I still have the wire wheel. Surprisingly comfortable. My son liked it, so I did the same to his chair when the arms broke.
>>
File: IMG_1201.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1201.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212833
Nah, sometimes it's just necessary. The bike sometimes sees rain. I wouldn't want my accessories to suffer.
>>
File: IMG_0086.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0086.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I painted mine.

But I'm functionally retarded and have no idea what I'm doing
>>
File: IMG_1244.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1244.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212931
I'm 50/50 on it. Sometimes I do paint my steel work. This is a hook for holding my daughter's glasses while she showers.
>>
>>1212954
Please tell me that's not actually crooked and the perspective is just off.
>>
>>1212954
I built a jet burner for a wok on my deck that I had to paint, it really brings out all the imperfections and out of square joints.

>>1212970
The overspray should indicate that it's a "no one gives a fuck" functional piece.-
>>
File: IMG_1243.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1243.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212970
It's the perspective, it's square.
>>1212973
>The overspray should indicate that it's a "no one gives a fuck" functional piece.-
The overspray was an accident from a last minute touch up. I should've took it back off the wall first. But whatever, I was mostly happy about designing a different way of solving a problem, a safe place for her glasses that meant they couldn't be knocked off onto the floor. I did a wood glasses hook for her room.
>>
>>1212970
compared to the piece next to it?
>straight as a drunken budgie, chief.
>>
File: IMG_1427.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1427.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
This is a "no one cares" functional piece. Welded the jack handle into a single piece, and added a large landscaping nail for a better controlled drop. Yes, I ground off the galvanized coating around the welding area first. The slop in the handle drove me nuts.
>>
>>1212535
>didn't grind ALL the welds
Fuck that unfinished, lazy, 'its fashion' bullshit.I kinda want to find this asshole and beat him with the fucking thing. "people wont see it till they cut open a toe." Fucking cuntbag.
This is why I can't buy shit anymore.
>>
I leave it like that because I'm a lazy cunt desu
>>
>>1212624
And they didn't grind the inside weld of the front, right leg either.
>>
>>1212624
I think that's the whole point mang
>>
I like having the ability to see it as Hipster Garbage knowing it will fall away as fast as those stupid warehouse offices and bars that removed the crappy 'lowered ceiling' to show the raw architecture and look like some steampunkesque garbage.

It will be gone soon but the hispters cannot think beyond the next pile of shite they are sold as post modern.
>>
>>1212564
>>1212803
>>1212652
You should have let it sit outside. Perinatal only devlops when the surface layer oxidises ,and the runoff is literally cancer until about 6 months in.
>>
>>1213198
Petina, not fucking perinatal..
>>
>>1212535
Never seen some gay sgit like that in my life homes
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.