[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buy for life-thread. Post shit that's impressed you to a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: supa tool.png (518KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
supa tool.png
518KB, 1000x1000px
Buy for life-thread. Post shit that's impressed you to a degree you believe you won't ever have to replace it.
I'll start with an easy one. Might not be the best multitool around but they won't ask you questions regarding warranty. Beat it as carelessly as you like you're covered.
I found a broken super tool from a flea market. It was manufactured in 1995 so there was warranty left in this thing. bought that motherfucker for seven dollars and sent it back for repair. Got a brand spanking new super tool 300 in return.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Arcadia-Outdoors-Cookware-Lightweight-Firestarter/dp/B01F6CV8H0

It is only 18 bucks, and it is super durable. Crazy Russian Hacker or maybe his second channel did a review on it. It works better than most cook kits. Very impressed.
>>
>>1212425
Been looking for something like this. Saved.
>>
>>1212410
>Might not be the best multitool around

I seriously don't understand /diy/'s love affair with these hipster tools.

I'd love for one of you Leatherman afficianados to make a video of you using the flat head screwdriver to do anything with a screw. Real people have real tools because they work 100x better than these swiss army abortions. Last time I posted this rant somebody claimed he did farm maintenance with his Leatherman. I can just see him now, using that girly saw to remove that twig that fell into the lower 40.
>>
>>1212442
>I'd love for one of you Leatherman afficianados to make a video of you using the flat head screwdriver to do anything with a screw

Of course you can, you degenerate mongoloid.
>>
>>1212442
>Real people have real tools because they work 100x better than these swiss army abortions
Agreed. But when the job site is miles wide and there's a need for a minor tool that no one thought to bring from their gangbox or the job trailer, it's nice to have a good-enough tool on hand.
>>
>>1212442
You do not buy this shit to replace anything. You buy it to chuck it in your overalls, glovebox or backpack for no particular reason and soon enough you'll run in a situation where you find it useful. Why you want the leatherman branded one is because you'll most likely abuse it to fuck since 95% of the time it won't be the exact right tool for the job so it ends up rounded, mangled and dulled, but you can get it repaired or replaced with no cost if it's less than 25 years old.
>>
>>1212410
Buy 100+ year old tools and restore them. If they made it this far, they're probably going to outlive you.
>>
>>1212442
>swiss army abortions.

Every tool on a proper swiss army knife works great. Dont drag swiss army knives through the mud comparing them to fucking leathermans
>>
>>1212410
>Buy for life-thread

You bought a broken tool and then abused the warranty.
Its only a matter of time that they get rid of the warranty because of people like you.
Thats not really "buy it for life"
>>
>>1212442
>tfw a couple weeks ago I broke the flathead screwdriver/file on my leatherman trying to unscrew a stuck screw.
I'll have to look how the warranty thing works here in yurop.
>>
>>1213148
Write to leatherman and they'll probably tell you to send it to them.
>>
>>1212458
If you're on a job knowing it's miles wide and you've forgotten a screwdriver, saw, bottle opener or pliers, your toolbox is unprepared, ill equipped, and you're a poor workman.

Every Leatherman thread i see mentions the
>what if you forget the incredibly common tool you need to make a living
Or
>is just easier to use than a regular tool

I have a feeling these are kids doing minor idiot repairs and they're not actual professionals
>>
File: Knipex-Logo.svg.png (38KB, 1280x652px) Image search: [Google]
Knipex-Logo.svg.png
38KB, 1280x652px
>>1212410

Just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>1213159
>your toolbox is unprepared, ill equipped, and you're a poor workman.

Yes. I'm still trying to visualize the "job trailer" that sucked so much that a Leatherman saved the day.
>>
>>1213161
>>1213159
You've clearly never worked road construction, the job trailer can be literally miles away from where you're at at different times and sometimes shit breaks and a multitool comes in handy.
>>
>>1213164

I own a Super Tool 300.

Here's my take on it.

No, it's not as good as a dedicated tool for anything.

But, it's always in my pocket. I don't keep a toolbox in my pocket. When I need to fix something, especially something easy, it's easier to reach into my pocket and grab what I need than it is to go and get my toolbox and root through to find what I actually need. I have fixed so many random things with it, simply because it's so easy to pull it out and have pliers, or a saw, or a knife, or a screwdriver.

That's why it's useful.
>>
>>1213160
This, plus they work so god damn well, yet everyone scoffs at
>40 dollars for a pair of pliers
I keep a pair of cobras in the door panel of my work truck, they go everywhere with me, better than a leatherman.
>>
File: 14754063352091.jpg (488KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
14754063352091.jpg
488KB, 1400x933px
>>1212410
i bought one of this from Russia

pretty tough, came with a codura pouch
>>
I always carry my Leatherman. At work or just going about my day. Its one of those "just in case" tools. Who in their right mind would think people buy these to actually replace tools?
>>
>>1213164
>, the job trailer can be literally miles away from where you're at at different times and sometimes shit breaks and a multitool comes in handy.

So you muff around for 20 minutes trying to use a mutlitool, fail and then have to go get the toolbox anyways.
Sounds useful
>>
>>1213159
>not actual professionals
>on /diy/

wow, hobby people on a hobby board, shocking revelation
>>
>>1213164
>>a multitool comes in handy.
This is the point of a multitool. It's not meant as a replacement for dedicated pliers, knives, screwdrivers, etc. but it comes in handy if you need one. It's a surprisingly useful EDC tool. It's not great, but damn if it isn't handy in 90% of my every day emergencies.
>>
File: 17629747_0.jpg.jpg (24KB, 640x517px) Image search: [Google]
17629747_0.jpg.jpg
24KB, 640x517px
>>1212442
Anecdotal evidence incoming:

>I bought a multitool just 'cuz
>wife told me: you have several thousands dollars on tools and tool boxes, why do you need a shitty pliers and shitty screwdriver, the same litany you are throwing
>ffw 3 days
>in a country house, checking out the basement to install appliances
>the basement door have a security lock like pic related
>when the last latch is fully retracted and released it releases the other bolts
As you can see if you are inside you can remove the screws attaching the thing to the door
>why there was this kind of lock in a basement is beyond my understanding (we just bought the house)
>BUT my multitool with its useless screwdriver allowed us to get out of there in minutes and not hours waiting to be rescued.
>the other day I was about to wash my car, and the hose have a little puncture near the end where the threaded brass fitting is located
>the multitool knife cut the hose, removed the hose clamp, reattached and I didn't have to go back to get my wera screwdriver set and knife from the kitchen

They are shirty tools yes they are
They can save your ass yes they can, get over it.
>>
>>1213159
I use a skeletool instead of a cable knife
The blade is good enough and the extra pair of pliers has saved me a couple times when I dropped my pliers from a bucket or a ladder

The screwdriver is good too. It that's a skeletool thing
>>
Why do you people shill for leatherman? I mean the charge tti seems quite nice but my experience with the super tool 300 was such shit that I sent it back two days after receiving it.

>Flimsy as 3 fucks handle
>Unaligned bottom of handle
>Suspicious lock
Not again, no.
>>
>>1213525
so the kind of guy that carries a multitool is the same kind of guy dumb enough to lock himself in a basement and cut his hose in half because of a tiny leak and has to carry a multitool to feel masculine because his wife is a moany cunt.
>>
>>1213525
>literally locks himself in the basement and has to use kitchen knives to cut tubing

You sound like the perfect guy for a multitool
>>
>>1213530
>Why do you people shill for leatherman?

I see people clamoring about the warranty, on the basis of "im going to abuse this piece of shit".
The SOGs are nicer, the Victorinoxs are way nicer but both lack the warranty to just destroy them and return them. Gerbers are just trash altogether, being made in the USA doesnt make it nice.
Who else are you gonna shill for?

You tell someone the Swisstool is the best multitool, they will scoff that it costs $40 more than a Wave with less of a warranty. You want to use it as a prybar and a hammer dont you?
>>
File: 1500145719707.jpg (25KB, 642x792px) Image search: [Google]
1500145719707.jpg
25KB, 642x792px
>>1213534
>>1213540
>That reading comprehension
>>
>>1213540
Hose != tubing you ignorant ball gargler
>>
>>1213570
Home garden hose is more akin to cheap plastic tubing than to real hose no matter how pedantic you want to be.
How else do you think you would be able to cut it with a lowly kitchen knife?

Did you use your leatherman instead of grabbing your knife, afraid of locking yourself in the kitchen too?
>>
>>1212442
Actually, it took me almost 2 minutes to cut down a 2*4 into manageable chunks for disposal with the saw blade at work. Would've taken me much longer to drive home, get me l my saw and drive back and do the job.
You wanted the screwdriver, though. And I use it to tighten my clipper blades at the shop.
>>
File: IMG_2057.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2057.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212410
my boss/mentor gave me this old snap on box as a going away present, its probably 50 years old and the slides are still in really nice shape, the steel feels like its way better quality than the boxes in big stores. I'm probably gonna get it blasted and powder coated and it will probably last another 50 years. one of the best gifts i have ever been given.
>>
>>1213587
>Actually, it took me almost 2 minutes to cut down a 2*4 into manageable chunks for disposal with the saw blade at work

Am I understanding you? You used pic related to make multiple cuts of a 2x4 in two minutes? Now that's the video I am dying to see.

But I never will because you can't film bullshit.
>>
>>1213710
No, I don't need to film it. You'll say something like bullshit, that I doctored the film. No need to waste my time.
Next time I'll have to do some cutting, I'll not have the forethought to think, oh, there's some jackass on 4chan in his basement with his dick in a vacuum cleaner that I have to prove myself to.
>>
>>1213710
>>1214049
I used a leatherman to cut a gutter downspout because it was 6 inches too long to fit in my car
Took me almost 20 minutes
>>
File: 1500733513105.jpg (281KB, 1800x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1500733513105.jpg
281KB, 1800x1600px
>>1214049
>No, I don't need to film it. You'll say something like bullshit

come on dude. you sawed one or more 2x4s with a fucking nail file?

Weathermans can turn a loose screw, and perhaps the pliers part actually is functional.

but all the cheese grater shit hanging off the ass end is not very useful. It just isn't. Maybe if you are stranded in the Mojave desert and you need a can opener to fix your jeep, it might be a life saver.
>>
>>1214063
That saw is usable. No, it didn't make a quality cut. My hand cramped like hell the rest of the day, but it was cut into 3 pieces, making disposal easier. That little saw has more to do with force than technique. The stronger you are, the easier it is to cut with it.
It's not my first choice, but it's better than trying to chew through it with your teeth.
Again, you don't have to believe me, and you won't. I don't care. I can't believe I even wasted the time to type that out.
>>
>>1214072
>Again, you don't have to believe me, and you won't. I don't care. I can't believe I even wasted the time to type that out.

Its not that we dont believe you
Im sure you sat there and did it. Probably thought it was cool to just finally pull that thing out of its pouch.

I just know that it took way longer and way more effort that it would have to just went and grabbed the correct tool.
>>
File: anjali_ramkissoon.jpg (69KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
anjali_ramkissoon.jpg
69KB, 634x422px
>>1214072

Ok. I believe you.

but pal. In the future, if your lifestyle can in any way involve sawing 2x4 boards, do not ever rely on a pocket tool. Have a saw.

this thread is becoming sort of religious. cute little hipster tools are great, but if you find yourself sawing a 2x4 with a girly saw you have made a big mistake somewhere.

sorry about your hand cramps. I don't actually hate you.
>>
>>1213710
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQYq2bdHjI
>>
>>1214077
>but pal. In the future, if your lifestyle can in any way involve sawing 2x4 boards, do not ever rely on a pocket tool. Have a saw.
>but pal. In the future, if your lifestyle can in any way involve anything, do not ever rely on a pocket tool. Have a proper tool.
fixed!
>>
>>1214077
>>1214076
So, yeah, like I said it would have taken longer than that to go home, grab the saw, come back and do it. I'm not saying it was easy. I'm not saying I enjoyed it, but having that thing seves me to not have to have an entire workshop at my station at work. I'm a licensed barber. And no, I don't keep it in it's pouch. That pouch fell apart about 5 years ago.
Yeah, it's now the hipster tool to have. And remember, a broken clock is right twice a day. So don't hate it just because it's a hipster thing.
>>
>>1212410
>>>1212442
>>Real people have real tools because they work 100x better than these swiss army abortions
>Agreed. But when the job site is miles wide and there's a need for a minor tool that no one thought to bring from their gangbox or the job trailer, it's nice to have a good-enough tool on hand.
My tool box is always too far away. My leatherman has paid for itself through convenience alone.
>>
>>1214077
m8, just don't buy it. Why are you so mad about these things?
>>
>>1213683

So jelly, but at least is owned by someone that values it.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.