[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a virtually infinite supply of 2x6 6ft-8ft treated boards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

File: board-foot-calculator-boards.jpg (52KB, 510x250px) Image search: [Google]
board-foot-calculator-boards.jpg
52KB, 510x250px
I have a virtually infinite supply of 2x6 6ft-8ft treated boards (work throws out 50-100 daily). I've already made a few planters for myself and dozens for family, I've made half a dozen picnic tables for myself and family. I'm out of ideas. What is some more stuff I should make?
>>
Shelves, beds, cupboards, dog kennels etc.
>>
>>1212207
>virtually infinite supply

Solve the world's fuel problem via charcoal, coke, and wood gasification.

With enough bolts/screws/nails you can make pretty much anything with that from houses to decks to well anything.
>>
>>1212212
have fun with your cancer. I'd even be skeptical of the picnic tables.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170719-195232.png (346KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170719-195232.png
346KB, 720x1280px
Finger joint them together. Sell for profit.
>>
As an avid shooter, my local range would looove to have a bunch of extra target stands. Ours get shot up way too quickly. We use a H-type design to put cardboard into, which the targets are then stapled to.
>>
>>1212212
This shit is for strictly outside use. See >>1212223

>>1212216
But then I run into issues with shipping cost, etc. It's hard to get anything from central Ohio to anywhere else not also in North America.

>>1212226
If you're in Ohio, I'll sell you all the boards you can fit into the back of a truck for pizza and beer. I'll even help you load the boards.
>>
picnic table out of 1 by?.....Really?
>>
>>1212207
Make beds, sell them

Make computer desks, sell them

Make nice furniture, sell it
>>
>>1212228
Southwest Ohio reporting in. Papa John's or Larosas OP?
>>
>>1212228
If I was old enough to buy beer and close enough to Ohio I'd take you up on it
>>
>>1212244
see
>>1212223
>>
>>1212207
Hey Anon, Northeast Ohio here. I'll bring a pizza and beer for some boards if youre reasonably close
>>
>>1212256
If it's varnished the arsenate doesnt come out
>>
>>1212228
>But then I run into issues with shipping cost, etc
Sell half to pay for shipping the other half.
>>
>>1212245
I'd have to get Papa in the house.

>>1212259
I'm about 20 minutes outside Jeffersonville, about an hour outside Columbus.
>>
build a huge fukken tower
>>
>>1212274
Whelp OP, between it being treated and you being that close the outlet malls (and me having a wife that LOVES the outlet malls), sorry, but that would just cost me too much.
>>
>>1212207
Make a normal chair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmPe_4gto6A&t=0s
>>
>>1212207
>What is some more stuff I should make?

Thermal power plant anon.
>>
>>1212207
Make wooden swords and hand them out to the neighborhood kids to beat the hell out of each other with.
>>
Donate a bunch to your local boy scout troop. I know when I was in scouting we'd love to build bridges and stuff
>>
>>1212207
>work throws out 50-100 daily
why?
>>
>>1212207
Build a cool coffee table.

Like these:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fd/8e/04/fd8e0420baeb35a65daef5080ad7824f.jpg

http://thippo.com/zen-garden-coffee-table/
>>
File: 1388369191321.gif (988KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
1388369191321.gif
988KB, 300x230px
>>1212300
I lol'd
>>
>>1212207
Sheds, crates, outdoor storage bins for stuff like gardening tools and pool supplies. Wheelbarrows. Squat racks and benches. Coffins. Outdoor bar.
>>
>>1212207
50-100??????

Glue them shits for support beams and stick build a fucking house anon.
>>
>>1212300
This is obviously the only answer.
>>
>>1212300
Make a ballista and subjugate your neighbourhood!
>>
>>1212518
Pretty sure these boards are not fit for that purpose.
>>
File: trebuchet.jpg (78KB, 538x404px) Image search: [Google]
trebuchet.jpg
78KB, 538x404px
>>
>>1212223
>>1212228
>>1212264

Is there a treatment for wood that poses none/minimal threat to humans? What's the stuff people should try to avoid?
>>
File: adirondack chair.jpg (61KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
adirondack chair.jpg
61KB, 1000x1000px
>>1212644
a water sealer will do the job
>>
>>1212223
why lol? do they treat wood with something bad?
>>
>>1212207
build a cabin
build a treehouse
build a watch tower
build a Trojan horse
>>
Build a barrel and go over the Niagara Falls. Report back.
>>
Build a wooden container.
Burry it.
Enjoy your bunker.
>>
>>1212228

>This shit is for strictly outside use.

If you live in a tropical environment, leaving them outside you will just come back to a mount of dirt. I find it hard to believe they are even considered an "outside" wood
>>
>>1212691

Brilliant!
>>
>>1212696
but it won't decompose in nature not by bacteria or bugs as it is poison (also why you can't use inside).
so it needs to be mechanical damage
>>
>>1212207
Cut some of it into 2x3 on a table saw, double it up to make 4x3 to use as supports, build a frame and clad it in planks. You now have a very thick and very heavy shed.
>>
Make a compost bin

Also where do you work that they throw out that many?
>>
>>1212778
I work at Lowes, at a Flatbed DC. Any pallet of treated lumber (ballisters, stair boards, fence posts, etc) come in packs of 4-6 banded together with a base of half a dozen 2x6 boards. We ship out a lot so we just pile up the bases as we ship out the last unit in the pack.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1212914
Pic of a week worth from one section (of three) after everyone else already picked through them.
>>
>>1212644
Heat treated wood is fine. Don't use stuff treated with any chemical.
>>
They still make toxic treated woods? isn't it all "green" now?
>>
>>1212917
If you own property you could build a deck or addition, treated wood can be sealed in a wall or walked on.

I don't know if you want to use it for planters, the chemicals wold likely leech into the wet soil. I'd say put in some clean stone and place a vase or pot for plants.
That said, you could build an above ground hedgerow with a 2 or 3 foot high wood structure containing a trench or series of pots. That's what I'd do.

I also just had a kid so I'd like to build a playstructure at some point
>>
>>1213016
Depends on where it's from. These days any wood treatments done in America are safe.
>>
>>1212648
I have these chairs. Pretty comfy
>>
>>1212207
you should ship them to germany and give them to me
>>
>>1212917
Yup. Haul every single one home and build some kilns.
>>
>>1213016
Find telephone pole at campsite. Try and burn. No dice. Smell almonds. Lol strange. Anon shows up piss drunk.

"AAAAAA EEE U FUGGIN IDS! GIT OUT THERE ISPOISON CYANIDE YALL FUGGIN DYE!
>>
>>1212653

Depending on what you're going for, they can treat it with everything bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation

Regular outdoor use wood used to be treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA) as a fungicide and pesticide. In case you didn't know, copper can cause heavy metal poisoning, chromium will fuck you up, and arsenic is of course arsenic.

That has since been outlawed in residential construction and replaced by substitute copper compounds that do the job nearly as well but are vastly more non-toxic than chromium and arsenic.

Outside of residential construction "treated wood" may have any manner of pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, fire retardants, water proofers, plasticizers, etc. A lot of nastly shit depending on the application.
>>
>>1212207

Step 1: Build a pergola
Step 2: Build a gazebo
Step 3: Build an arbor connecting your pergola and gazebo
Step 4: You've got an awesome back yard
>>
>>1213023

RESIDENTIAL wood treatments tend to be *pretty safe* but not completely safe.

INDUSTRIAL wood treatments can be toxic as hell. Make sure you know what you're using and what the intended application was.
>>
>>1213347
>chromium will fuck you up
makes you crash daily
>>
>>1212644
I thought most of the treated wood these days used borax or copper salts. Those are pretty harmless for incidental contact.
>>
Start building coffins.
>>
Build a fucking public park or some shit.

Get 50 bucks of mending plates and build a fucking barn for the fucking Amish

Build a fucking storage shed

Build a bridge out of it

Fashion it into a wooden Antikythera Mechanism.

Make a deck.
>>
>>1213650
Found the Clickspring subscriber.
>>
>>1212207
Spoons and other utensils
>>
>>1212223
Wouldn't a generous application of PU lacquer seal in the bad stuff?
>>
>>1213648
>The coffin that never rots
>>
>>1213763
and you'd get postmortem cancer
>>
>>1212207
>I have a virtually infinite supply of 2x6 6ft-8ft treated boards
Open a store sell dirt cheap boards and get rich, fucking making shit.
>>
make pallets, drag them around in the dirt for a while, dismantle them and then make stuff out of that.

i'd build a shed and use it to store planks in.
>>
Today i learned wood could be dangerous.

Who knew they treated that shit with crazy chemicals! I understand treating it but aren't industrial chemicals better or cheaper? Why would they use sketchy shit when there are safe alternatives?
>>
>>1213835

> Cut them into even sizes, burn a logo on it, sell as artisan wood to hipsters
> $80 for shitty plank and $1 metal bracket for artisan shelf.
> Make shitty coffee tables, drill hole for iPhone cable $120

Hipsters are retarded you just need to add a logo or make it look extra shitty by like painting it a bad color.

The stupider the better

I suggest you find a bunch of rusted tools to have around when they come pick it up.
>>
>>1212207
Build me a house.
>>
>>
>>1212653
Used to be treated with creosote, I think they still do power poles with it.
My dad told me they used to buy some kind of stuff that they mixed with diesel fuel to treat fence posts as well. Must have been good stuff 50 years later there are still some posts standing.
>>
>>1214785
I think you can use asphalt, dependent on soil type. I imagine a 5gal. bucket of driveway sealer does quite a few posts.
>>
>>1212696
Found Hoxha!
>>
Build a storage container to store more boards
>>
>>1212207
They'd make great trailer decking. I'd try to find someone who does trailer fab and barter a shitload of them for a trailer. Bonus is a trailer fabricator will have a trailer to haul them.
>>
>>1213347
If you don't chew on, lick or set fire to your furniture it's not a problem. Stainless steel gives off hexavalent chromium when subjected to welding heat, but I don't TIG in my fucking house or without ventilation.
>>
>>1214785
Burnt motor oil and diesel fuel works great for treating wood, especially porches. Its also the best form release for concrete forms.
>>
>>1216076
Kek. Hes right
>>
>>1216075
This also. Lay them out properly and pay some retired or drunk to keep a wood stove going and keep that shit kiln dried
>>
>>1213904
LOL really? I know of a town full of hipsters 2 hours away. But if they will buy a trailet load of shit then its worth a trip. Bonus, i hate those dickholes and dont feel bad taking their parents money
>>
>>1212228
What part of Ohio? I'm about five hours out of Cincinnati and I may want to road trip depending how far.
>>
>>1212659
Comfy tbffwyfam
>>
>tfw wood is expensive where I live
:(
>>
Build a shelter and start saving it.
>>
>>1212228
Shit, that isn't even far, I'm north of london. If you interested, hit me back on this thread. I'll check back with a throwaway tomorrow.
>>
Make a shed
>>
>>1213284
Kek
>>
>>1212207
Ill buy a $1 a piece to get it out of youre hands because there a burdon to you.
>>
>>1217807
>burdon
>mule born of a horse and a she-ass
>>
>>1216684
same, I don't get it though there are lots of trees here but nearly all are pine
>>
>>1217976
I live in the third world, most houses are masonry. (Bricks, ceramic, cement) so there isn't a very large demand for wood. And most native trees take a while to grow (they have good wood) but are expensive.
>>
>>1212639
holy shit why is everyone ignoring this? by far the best idea itt
>>
Did op get caught by the Lowes l.p. gods? Hit me back brother anon. My fence awaits, your pizza is chilling and your beer is getting warm...
>>
>>1213904

Anons, here is my biggest secret for selling 'reclaimed wood':

https://countrydesignstyle.com/this-old-wood/

http://simplyswider.com/how-to-age-wood-with-paint-and-stain/

Good luck and fuck those hipsters over as hard as you can
>>
>>1212639
Though a trebuchet is a powerful siege engine you should probably also build a ram to take down your next door neighbors house due to the distance needed with trebuchets.
>>
holy shit you are living my dream, build a fuckin boat! if you're land locked build a house!
>>
>>1212274
I picked up some seats for my car in Jeffersonville Ohio I thought it was funny since i was coming from Jeffersonville Indiana and had to go through the same named towns in Ohio as i live around in Indiana
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.