[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My laptop screen is coming apart near the hinge . It seems like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 20170718_105134.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_105134.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
My laptop screen is coming apart near the hinge . It seems like the whole thing will crack apart if i keep opening and closing it.
What can be done?
Can i just squirt a bunch of plastic epoxy in there?
Its an asus that folds into a tablet.
>>
drill a hole thru put bolt
>>
>>1211357
You can actually replaces the hinges. They cost about 20 bucks online but the level of repair is moderate. In other words don't fuck up dude. Look up youtube vids for exact instructions. I'm following thread to see if anyone post any laptop into diy desktop conversions.
>>
I don't think it's a structural part. Just a case.
The actual hinge and frame would be steel or chrome plated brass fixed to an aluminum frame or something to that effect.

It likely gave out because you don't open/close it properly .

Clean area, then super glue and squeeze together is my suggestion.
>>
>>1211363
looks like the hinges were too stiff, the frame the hinges mount on is cracked

OP needs to find a lid without a screen on ebay
>>
>>1211366
Yeah looking at it again I see you're right buddy. I'd go with epoxy statement from prior. If you shell out the screen from the case you can totally epoxy that corner and even reinforce it with a small metal bracket or something to make it stiffer.
>>
>>1211357
If the hinge is fine and it's the plastic landings with brass inserts that have broken, order some Plasti-Pair. It's ground up plastic and solvent that you can mix and cast / glue together plastic with. You'll need to disassemble the laptop to some extent. Leave as many parts in place as you can and put the hinge in the location it should be in. Clamp it in place. Use tape to make a little barrier around the hinge area. Fill with Plasti-Pair powder. Drop solvent onto powder until it's reasonable liquid. Allow to set. It will be stronger than when the laptop was new, because chinese laptop jews deliberately hollow out the plastic areas to save .001 shekels on each laptop.

Source: I do this for a living.
>>
>>1211379

Addendum: This method only applies if you have an all-plastic case. If you have one of those funky new shit ones that have a metal and plastic composite case, do not use Plasti-Pair. Instead use Loctite's Metal and Concrete Epoxy. It's thick like JB Weld but it has better tensile strength gluing things to metal (but not better compression strength, which is where JB really shines)
>>
>>1211381
One side is metal the other is plastic.
I was thinking that just infusing the entire cavity with expoxy of some sort would immobilize the whole area and be much stronger than just reinforcing one side.
If I do this when powered down I was thinking that nothing would ground out electrically.
>>
File: 20170718_130132.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_130132.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
This is what the double hinge looks like
>>
>>1211381
>Plasti-Pair
>literally a 6 decades old plastic modeling trick
>$20 on amazon
>>
Gorilla glue that shit
>>
>>1211426
so you think its a bad idea?
>>
>>1211357

I had this problem. Cheap chinese shit always break. I used some duct tape to put extra pressure on it. Works just fine.
>>
i need to repair broken hinges frequently in my shop. replacement is hard to find and often to expensive on old machines.

What i do fairly frequently is open it up, try go find the broken "nut" piece where a screw goes in to fixate the the hinge to the cover and then plastic weld it back into place.

I melt zipties to replace the broken plastic and an SMD rework blower for this, but a ~30w soldering iron works too.
be carefull to just melt the plastic, black smoke is bad and means your iron or blower is to hot.

secondly i losen the hinge and give it a bit of non conductive lubricant or wd40 in a pinch (dont spray it, you need like 1 drop).

Be carefull, this shit is not for the faint of heart. if you can get replacement parts fairly easely in your area and can afford them, go that route.
>>
>>1211697
I dont think the hinge is failing, just the case.
Going to try the wd trick.
Thabks!
>>
>>1211363
I have a laptop with a broken screen driver, I'm going to make it into a little desktop in a month when I get back to the states. I probably won't make a thread about it though
>>
>>1211363
Tell me about your laptop and why you want to make it into a desktop
>>
>>1212141
Just glue it, super glue should work
>>
Honestly you can probably just get some good glue and sandpaper to fix this or a plastic adhesive. Just crack it open lightly sand down the sides you wanna glue together and the sandwhich them together with a clamp or weight and let it set. (Also if its like a shitty aluminium screw that stripped its plastic socket remove it so it doesnt get in the way )
>>
>>1211357
I took apart a broken laptop once. It was a mac. Apparently apple holds the damn things together with some sort of superglue.

Maybe a gorrillion gorila glues from Home Depot could be the cheapest way to fix your laptop?
>>
>>1211405
Wow. Never seen one of these with plastic parts near the hinge. Those cheap motherfuckers.
>>
It's an asus what do you expect
>>
OP here, I am now thinking I will epoxy steel plates to both sides of the broken area to immobilize the whole think like a cast.
Maybe even a u channel of some sort.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.