[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>at my new painting job >painted for 1.5 years >lesbo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

>at my new painting job
>painted for 1.5 years
>lesbo female foreman constantly on me for literally microscopic "errors" that the homeowner will never notice in the grand scheme of things
>talks about the "best painters dont do XYZ"
>I'm literally living in poverty, dont give a crap about being the best
How do you deal with this type of shit?
>>
>>1210335
how do you do it? painting is the most mind numbing thing I've ever done
>>
>>1210338
I listen to the radio, spotify, ambient noises and take caffeine pills
>>
Find a new job
>>
>>1210335
Dealing with shit painters is the worst...

Level 5 finish and they spray texture like god damn gravel on the fucking walls.

Jesus. Any worse and you're an electrician.
>>
>>1210345
apparently the big boss likes my work and sends me out regularly 1-2 times a week on solo projects but the foreman is all on my nuts over every little thing when i join the crew .
>>
File: Screenshot_36.png (1MB, 821x822px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_36.png
1MB, 821x822px
>>1210338
Eh, I take it you've never worked in a factory doing literally the same thing in the same spot all day every day. At least with painting you get to change job sites every week or so and can hang around and talk with your buddies. Pic related was my last job, no talking allowed, no music allowed. Place was fucking filthy, after a year of 10 hour shifts I was actually suicidal. My coworkers were all dead inside. This is in America by the way, not a developing country.
>>
File: IMG-20170516-WA0003.jpg (401KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170516-WA0003.jpg
401KB, 1200x1600px
Become a surveyor it's fun as fuck
>>
>>1210335
Just keep painting anon, the fumes will kill off enough brain cells that you'll be too retarded to care soon enough.
>>
>>1210335
Git gud.
>>
>>1210354
what is that, a rendering plant or something
>>
>>1210354
>no talking allowed
That's pretty soul-killing. Molding shops are less dehumanizing than that ime. What did you manufacture there?
>america
>not a developing country
A devolving country, maybe.
>>
>>1210335

Take pride in what you do and stop doing shitty work.
>>
>>1210335

You should post pics so we can scrutinise these "errors" you might actually jus be crap at painting
>>
>>1210335
>on me for literally microscopic "errors" that the homeowner will never notice in the grand scheme of things

Give a few examples of painting errors that you make but you are sure that the homeowner will not notice.

Painters do actually tend to be like your boss, being overly concerned about "defects" that a non-painter will look at and say "what? are you referring to this?", but I'm wondering if you are just one of those people who can't paint properly. Everyone can paint, but some people just never get good enough to paint fast and do a good job at the same time.

The dead giveaway was your use of the term "microscopic". Describe a few for us. Actual photos of your work would be awesome.
>>
>>1210551
for example she might want me to caulk a tiny hole on the side casing of a window or in a closet. Or sand something "more"
>>
File: 1375407584877.jpg (24KB, 247x310px) Image search: [Google]
1375407584877.jpg
24KB, 247x310px
>>1210335
dont worry about it. its always other peoples fault when youre doing a bad job. and if you look hard enough you'll always find someone to sympathize with you so you can justify continuing to be shitty.
>>
>>1210588
>she might want me to caulk a tiny hole on the side casing of a window or in a closet

Yeah, she sounds wacko.

I was prepping a deck to be restained and it had these microscopic dots of white paint that you had to be right on top of to see them, and the home owner was a nice 70 year old woman who couldn't see them in the first place and would never have minded anyway. But the boss calls me over and asks if my eyesight is ok because I didn't spend an hour on all these tiny dots.
>>
>>1210595
It would have been 15 seconds with a piece of sandpaper. Your boss is likely more concerned about your demonstrable lack of attention to detail. I know I would be. Your work reflects on his business. He is justified to ride your arse over it.
>>
>>1210335
Do what I did. I wasn't a painter, but I hated my coworkers so much I created an escape plan to get out.

1. Learn as much as you can from the boss you hate. Buddy up to them and suck their assholes for tips and tricks to get better. Once you learn all you need, stop.
2. Start taking accounting and business management classes. Either sign up at your local community college or read stuff online. You'll learn most "real" knowledge when you start to run your company.
3. Save up for startup costs. Work 2 jobs if you have to, but get the money to start up a small painting business. File for an LLC, and start advertising for business.
4. Take jobs on the weekend or free time. As many as you can get. Keep this while working the painting job you have. All money from your business should go into a savings account until you have 6 months to a year of income.
5. Quit your shit painting job and become their competitors, while maintaining the best relationship you can with them. When you're at home with no work, you need to put in 8 hours at home making calls and soliciting for work. You will make a living if you work at it.
6. Enjoy your free life. You control the hours and amount of work you want to take on. It's not easy though, there will be stress. You won't get rich overnight, but no dike foreman will ever criticize you again. Just customers. All the time.
>>
>>1210335
Quit now and cut your losses.

In the grand scheme of things if they have been somewhat fair or u care about your next job and what they would think then give a 2 weeks notice.

If not then u could be a dick and find another job. Call in sick for a few days to be a dick.
>>
>>1210348
So tell the big voss u cannot stand your biss and would really like to run solo or maybe hace 1 heloer and run a skeleton crew.
>>
>>1210354
Wtf did u do there. Clean drums?
>>
>>1210363
Orly?

Please explain?

You get to use fun equipment or dickoff or???? What is fun about it?
>>
>>1210450
Be careful in closets. My coworker found our painter passed smooth the fuck out. Closed the door to paint it and went limp.

Coulda been there for hours...
>>
>>1210354
I work in a factory too. I bought some headphones that look like earplugs. Its been 4-5 months and no ones noticed. Its the only way Ive been able to stand it for this long.
>>
>>1210612
I took that standing near the bathroom on break one day. I ran a hydraulic thread roller. I'd grab 12' x 2" steel bars off the rack and run them through the machine all day.
>>
>>1210602
This is a good idea OP.

I did something similar. HATED MY JOB. So i took a job with their largest competitor and tried to maintain the best relationship i could while bringing evedything i learned to the table. Because of this i was given rapid raises and now make far more than i did with less hours. And i still can get a heads up of any large projects coming our way or if i am out of a certain material i refer them up the road and likewise.

There is plenty of work to go around and while we are in competition we can still help each other.

I actually tried to buy my own truck and deliver some materials from my job and the other place as a side job. My biggest competitors were my biggest help. I learned the ins and outs super fast and in return i make sure to treat them very well now that i gave it up.

Anyone that wishes to deliver the same materials now has it a LOT easier because i have done it and have those tips.

Also, i now know EXACTLY what materuals people need when they cone in scratcgibg their head and describe wtf they are doing.

1/3 just wont listen so i dont argue. I politely male my suggestion, they blow it off, spend twice the money, then come back and ask my advice or just deal with it.

The other 2/3 tho are grateful for thw help and should they need a delivery service i have my top 5 old competitors on a list here on rotatio. For delivery recomendations.

I believe what goes around comes around. Maybe not exactly karma but close. It may take a wgile or cone in another form. But i notice that genuine good people seem happy and misserable fucks always get shit on.

I dunno anon. We all have sgitty jobs here and there. You can learn from it and suffer or tell them to kick rocks. I jave done both and regret neither.

The worst job i ever had led me to the best job i ever had.

And the strung of jobs i would work a few months and quit in my 29s gave me an odd range of useful skills
>>
>>1210620
Good advice bud.

All jobs kind of suck in one way or another. That's the nature of work. The best you can hope for is to have a job you enjoy most of the time.

Here's something that took me a while to figure out: the people who say they love what they do make themselves love it. You have to live eat and breath your work if you want to be great at something.
>>
>>1210335
>I'm literally living in poverty, dont give a crap about being the best

It's like you don't even want to make more money.
>>
im a good painter. demand better quality of yourself, they will notice.
>>
>>1210345
>Any worse and you're an electrician

Can you explain this? Honestly I don't get it, some kind of construction in-joke?
>>
>>1210696
They're like framers if it can't be fixed with a hammer then it's fucked.
>>
>>1210696
youd get it if you were an electrician or dealt with them
>>
>>1210706

I don't so I requested an explanation
>>
>>1210588
>>1210595
You're being payed to do the job so do it right. 1.5 years is no time at all. Just because the homeowner wont notice it, the clerk of works, the project manager and the client probably will. Do the job properly not to a standard that "will do". Also yyou obviously don't fo your woodwork properly which is why she keeps pulling it up. You don't know what you're doing and never will
>>
>>1210818
Why should I get ridiculed for errors that you need a microscope to notice? I don't get any benefits, have no room for advancement, my manager is a lesbo
>>
>>1210839
pretend to be gay maybe...
>>
File: fatburger_543.jpg (289KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
fatburger_543.jpg
289KB, 1000x667px
>>1210818
>. You don't know what you're doing and never wil

and you are not a painter. here. have a burger on me. Neither he nor I am talking about screwing customers or whatever the fuck a clerk of works is. Are you a fucking brit? anyway, he and I are talking about nit-picking imbeciles.
>>
>>1210335
"When I get paid like the best, I perform like the best"
>>
>>1210335
Git gud, guy.
>>
>>1210335
Git gud, son. Sounds like you're just lazy tea BH.
Ask the foreman for advice or pointers to improve, experiment and change your routine. The fact that you've painted for 1,5 yrs doesnt mean you have good habits. Maybe you're just half-assing it because that's what you've been taught, I dunno.

Half-ass when you can, but it sounds prudent to put some soul into it for now. Don't talk about the grand scheme of things unless you're either paying or defending the job, it's literally none of your fucking business to evaluate that.
>>
>>1210335
>Be in 4th year of sheetmetal work
>Have nitpicky Boss always riding me over imperfections that can barely be seen
>Be a somewhat perfectionist myself
>Take his advice and keep doing better
>5th year same Boss can never find errors on my work, praises me, gives me raise and makes me a shift lead.
>Feels Good Man.JPG
>Quit and get into electronics cause they make more money and work in air conditioning instead of a hot ass warehouse all day and still have all 10 fingers when retire.
>Retired from Electronics 10 years ago.

Want to get the Lesbo off your back... Git Gud.
>>
Daum son apparently gittin gud is the only way
>>
>>1210877
"Minimum wage gets you minimum effort"
>>
File: imagejpeg_524.jpg (304KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
imagejpeg_524.jpg
304KB, 1024x576px
>>1210613

Every day is different. At my company I'll be on a massive construction site one day, 200 acres of woods the next few days, take a break from that to go back to the construction site the next day. The following week it will be an upscale shopping center with rich bitches walking in and out of the yoga studio all day. However some jobs are in the ghetto and that's thrilling in it's own right.

You get to work on your own or with a crew. Occasionally bust your ass to get the job done, but mostly work at your own pace. Bossman never comes to sites unless something is royally fucked up. Usually just 1 or 2 phone calls a day.

Most companies will hire with 0 experience. You'll start out as a rod-man, and mostly cut line in the woods with a machete, set up equipment, or do whatever the crew chief need a you to do. But as long as you pay attention and aren't completely retarded you will advance in pay quickly.

Pic related a deer I found in the woods yesterday
>>
>>1210842
>pretend
>>
>>1211260
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. Does it help me if I'm good with cameras and drones?
>>
>>1211508
After you put in the field work long enough to understand it, you can make a killing off of UAV mapping/topo surveys.

And taking both general site pictures and detailed pictures are a critical aspect of field work. As well as sketches and notes.

I've read some of Henry David Thoreau's field notes from when he surveyed land, literal poetry.
>>
>>1210340
>caffeine pills

Proof that although God has thrown us into a rough universe, he wants us to make it.
>>
itt: tradies bitching about being lazy
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.