[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to buy my first house in the next few months.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: house.jpg (121KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
house.jpg
121KB, 640x480px
I'm going to buy my first house in the next few months.

Besides a home inspection, What else should I look out for myself?

Also are "stigmatized properties" a terrible idea to buy?

I am not looking for an investment, Just a place to live out the rest of my life.

My only concern is blood/blood born pathogens from not being cleaned correctly or at all
>>
>>1209313
>Besides a home inspection, What else should I look out for myself?

High interest rate or prime/adjustable rates on your mortgage.
>>
>>1209314
Good advice. Get a mortgage with a fixed rate, low interest, no early repayment fee, and put down enough of a down payment so you don't have to pay PMI.

Make at least 1 extra payment worth a year, either as a full extra payment or as a little bit tacked on to each payment throughout the year. That will shave 5 years off a 30-year mortgage.

>>1209313
>My only concern is blood/blood borne pathogens from not being cleaned correctly or at all
Sounds like you have a thing with germs. Don't buy a place with carpet if you can help it. Carpet is nasty unless the people that owned it previously were super clean freaks. Have the house cleaned professionally before you move in. Maybe even painted.
>>
>>1209313
The bank is going to require a home inspection anyway.

The biggest things I look for are:

- How much useful life is left in the roof
- Age of HVAC unit
- Is the neighborhood trending up or down (in 15 years will it still be a safe neighborhood)
- Foot traffic in the area, drive by at different times of the day and different days of the week to see what foot traffic and neighborhood demographics are.

More generally, you need to find out where you local market is in its cycle. Trulia has a "Local Scoop" section that has a real estate market overview, which lists historical pricing trends. It's impossible to predict future prices, but you can estimate where you market is in the cycle.

It's equally important to do an individualized assessment of each neighborhood you intend to buy in. You can go on Zillow and see what houses in the area have been selling for 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and recently.
>>
>>1209368
Good advice, Thank you

>>1209314
>>1209321
Also great advice

Thank you guys
>>
>>1209382
What kind of mortgage are you considering? There's a lot of programs out there that can save you money. I'm a real estate investor and broker, so I know the ends and outs. Let me know if you have follow up questions.
>>
>>1209384
I actually wasn't going to take out a mortgage. The house I'm looking at seriously (double wide, built in 2016), I can afford to pay cash for. It's only 32k USD.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

It's in a pretty rural area, My only concerns are..

1. Two people died in a murder suicide in it and in the front yard...Would the home itself be considered "stigmatized" or is it the land It's on?

I ask because if for whatever reason I need to sell the land/trailer in the future, I don't want that holding back potential buyers.

2. Is there anything else I should know about buying a "stigmatized" property?

I'm in contact with previous owners son, Who said it was professionally cleaned by servpro and he has documents to prove it.

I've worked on a trailer before and I know how thin the floors are, So my concern is that blood may have leaked under the trailer and would cause a health concern that servpro may not have noticed.
>>
>>1209387
Which state are you in?

In NC, whether or not someone died on the property isn't considered a material fact that has to be disclosed.

Was it a well-known murder? As time goes by, you'll find that fewer and fewer people know about or care about the murder. It's not something that would come up in a title search or part of my dye diligence. Unless the buyers talk to the neighbors and they tell them, it's unlikely prospective buyers would ever know.

It sounds like a great deal to me. You can't buy a double wide alone for 32k.

As for the cleaning issue. All blood-borne pathogens die fairly quickly after being exposed to air. After a week at most, everything in the blood is dead. Personally, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you want to feel better about it, then get a bucket of Kiltz and seal the subfloor.

At that price, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a home inspection if it's a 2016 model. Get the foundation and septic tank checked out. Even if there's an issue, at 32k, you can afford a 5-7k repair and still come out ahead.

Is it on a permanent foundation? How long has it been sitting?
>>
I'm currently under contract to sell my house that had a murder about twenty years ago.

It may have turned away some buyers, but all of the reasons we heard for people passing were standard stuff, not the murder.

If anyone asks, our agent emphasizes that it was a specific conflict between the victim and killer who knew each other... not a random break in that might happen again in a high crime area.
>>
>>1209313
check for niggers
>>
>>1209398
Fuck off, undercover HUD agent.
>>
>>1209321
>That will shave 5 years off a 30-year mortgage
b...but Quicken Loans wants me to refinance to a 15 year fixed, anon...
>>
>>1209448
>not using a credit union

Anon....
>>
any small cosmetic cracks.
dodgy looks exterior wiring.
meterbox for dates of recent work

this is what the inspection does though
>>
>>1209313
Check out crime maps of the area. Check out flood maps of the area. Look into getting appliance insurance so that if something breaks immediately after you move in, you aren't in a bind.
>>
>>1209743
>any small cosmetic cracks.

What do you mean? In the sheetrock or where? And "cosmetic" usually means they only affect the appearance and can be ignored.

Almost all houses have cracks in the sheetrock if they were built in the last 20 years around my neck of the woods. I don't know if they build too fast or what; the cost of the house does not seem to play a part.

Some cracks can be repaired after the house has settled for a year or five; some cracks seem to come back after every seasonal change.

TL;DR sheetrock cracks are hard to evaluate. If the house is falling apart they would have someone come in and "fix" all the cracks and it might look fine for a few months.
>>
>>1209313
Clean title search.
Sewer and roof inspection
Pull a police report for the area.
>>
>>1209800
RealtorAnon here. Make sure to get the foundation inspected if it's on a permanent foundation. In my state, you only need a contractor's license if you're doing jobs over $30k. This makes it so that any idiot with a truck and a gaggle of Mexicans can setup up the foundation on your mobile home. The codes on this are sparse and its always done after the purchase has been made, so it's never inspected anyway. This can cause a lot of problems down the road.
>>
>>1209321
>That will shave 5 years off a 30-year mortgage.
your results may vary but when I calculated it for my 30 yr loan it was nearly 10 years early payoff via making extra payment per year.
either way good idea for peace of mind to pay off early. of course there is big debate on this - most say that extra payment money could be "invested" and earn more then what you knock your mortgage down by blah blah blah.
way I saw it was I'm not a financial wizz kid (in terms of the stock market etc) and I know the market crashes every few years but that mortgage payment needs to be paid regardless of everything else. so getting rid of that ASAP offers 'peace of mind' and that had value for me. I did pay off my house early and now I rest easier. only have to worry about the property tax which is nothing compared to the mortgage so I sleep better now. again, your results may vary.
>>
>>1209387
>I actually wasn't going to take out a mortgage
that's a good start.
>>
>>1209387
My biggest concern is that a double wide is not good for insurance or equity purposes. Manufactured homes end up being depreciated like cars, not appreciate like a traditional home. You would be unlikely to get a mortgage even if you tried. Being able to take money out of your house can be useful if it needs repairs. At 32k I would wait and just use that to buy a foreclosure for cash or a down payment on a decent home.
>>
>>1209917
>you would be unlikely to get a mortgage

wut? Banks loan on double wides all the time. Hell, if it's on a permanent foundation, it's technically a house, and they'll loan on it like any other house.

I'm not sure where you're from, but 32k for land and a fully setup brand new trailer is a steal. Septic is 7k and a standard trailer move and setup is 5-7k. At 32k, he's basically paying for the land and the setup, while getting the trailer for free.
>>
check for open permits, specifically for a flipped property. there is possibility work is not up to code and its now your problem.
>>
>>1209313
As someone who works for a natural gas company see if you can get them to do an air test on the house before sale, that way you also can find out if there are gas leaks or bad pipe. This can save you a shit ton in plumber costs down the road or potentially save your life. Not to mention if you have a gas leak you find later and the company who sells you the gas comes out they will leave your shit off until you get everything fixed and if everything is gas you may be sol on appliances for a long time. On the same note check furnaces and hot water tanks for installation warranties and how often they have done maintenance.
>>
>>1209313
how much will your property taxes be? Water bills? Electric? Internet/cable services? Garbage pickup? Is it close to services you might need, like doctors offices or hospitals? What about the availability of jobs should you lose your current? Natural disasters? Hundred year Flood zone? Thousand year Flood zone?
>>
So many reasons above of why you don't take life advice from 4chan.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.