[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a gas powered bike like in the pic. Asking price

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 151204_motoped002.jpg (174KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
151204_motoped002.jpg
174KB, 900x675px
I want to make a gas powered bike like in the pic. Asking price from the manufacturer is $3600 USD for a 49 cc bike.

How can I make an offroad capable, gas powered bike on a budget?
>>
$100 walmart bike + $100 chinese kit
>>
>>1209079
Define 'budget.'
There are literally dozens of forums dedicated to this, you'll get better answers than here.
A lot of the stuff on the motoped you posted is either for downhill mountain bikes or is custom fabbed for the company.
I fucked around with a gas bike for a while, realized it was a MASSIVE waste of effort, and bought one of pic related and restored it from the ground up.
It cost me a total of about $800, and that included a brand new engine, carb, yadda yadda.
Look for old pedal mopeds. For real. Be forewarned though, if you live where there's a sizable hipster population, the prices will be inflated.
>>
Wait shit.
I didn't see you said off road capable.
Just buy a rusty pit bike and fix it.
>>
>>1209079
im fucking with some motorized bikes myself. currently putting a 66cc 2 stroke with a jackshaft kit onto a folding bike.
what you will want to do first is choose your bike. if you want full suspention then you will need to find one with enough space in the center bars for an engine. then pick up a grubee 66cc engine and slap a 50cc sticker on it to make it road legal. then grab a jackshaft kit from sick bike parts. there is alot of info on motoredbikes.com so check that out. these bikes are super fun
>>
>>1209115
forgot to mention, the reason you want a jackshaft kit is because it runs the engines power to the pedals so you can use your bike gears instead of having a single gear attached to the sprockets. also it lets you use full suspention
>>
Why is there such a huge disconnect between legal cc and top speed before either becomes a motorcycle in some states?
I'm in Michigan and you can have a 100cc engine, but only goes up to 30 or 35 iirc.
It's fucking silly. The regular speed limit on local roads (not highways freeways etc) is 45, most people go 50, which just makes riding a moped/goped/scooter whatever terrifying.
>>
>>1209079
Thats shit is useless you could just buy a used dual sport or dirt bike for $3600. Hell you can even get dr350, kl250 or xt200 for $1200 if you look around craiglist
>>
>>1209125
That's the point of the thread dude. He doesn't want to pay a dickload of money for a mountain bike with a motor when he could diy it for a quarter of the price.
>>
So are there any non Amerifags here?

I see a lot of these on Aussie roads and like the idea of going out for a bike ride to get fit whilst we burn fossil fuels so I dont have to pedal.

I recon I can do the 160km cycle race with a small engine?
>>
>>1209147
I'm an American, so I don't know the different laws in Oz or anything, but it's easy to get 50km/l or 120mpg with one of these.
You might not have a big enough tank to reach that, but that's what fuel bottles are for.
>>
>>1209123
because laws are feel goods made by vote pandering politicians not experts or even people with common sense, otherwise the world might actually be a sensical place
>>
>>1209079
that one looks to have nice components which are expensive. just get shit china versions. it will fall apart while doing 60km/h but at least you'll have /diy/ cred
>>
>How can I make an offroad capable, gas powered bike on a budget?

You don't and they suck shit. Noobs don't know this and want reality to be different.

Learn how to fix scooters, mopeds and motorcycles then get what will do the job if want DIY. Modded bicycles are fucking trash with high CG, worthless brakes and no power. They are a distraction from getting non-shit small two wheelers.

I know it looks cool to youngsters but pic related is absurdly overpriced trash.

Basically any two wheeler is "off road capable".

Moped restoration guy has the right DIYidea. He got an education and something to ride. Do ye likewise.

Ancient motorcycle mechanic out.
>>
>>1209125
It's also about the fun of working on something in your garage I'd imagine
>>
File: 00B0B_8nnoiM4DEFx_600x450.jpg (33KB, 340x450px) Image search: [Google]
00B0B_8nnoiM4DEFx_600x450.jpg
33KB, 340x450px
While this thread is here, can anyone identify the engine, even vaguely?
Buddy of mine had his diy motoped bike thing stolen and I'm trying to help him build a new one. He had a similar motor to this but he doesn't remember the brand or anything. It wasn't one of the $100 chinesium engines though.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 500x437px
>>1209115
>slap a 50cc sticker on it to make it road legal

lol
>>
>>1209079
Get 3.5ho 79cc predator (briggs clone)

Centrifugal clutch with a bike chain sproket.

Mount motor on bike and like low middle or high gear. Take of derailer and make your pedals for take of gear or something.

Hammer down for about $200
>>
>>1209079

What's the point? It doesn't do pedal assist and as an actual bike it will suck just as much moped because of weight and the fucked up chain gear.
>>
Thanks for the responses, folks.

>The goal was to have some means of transportation that was very easy on gas in order to cut down on fuel costs. Also I wanted something that I could tag around with an RV that wasn't going to further tank my gas expenses.

>Not opposed to a moped or motorcycle. Main issue with moped is that they look like arse and don't typically do well on trails.

>Looking at touring bikes since this seems like a bad investment to most of you.
>>
>>1209903
Honda Grom is $3,499 brand new check it out
>>
>>1209104
Do grown men actually drive this?
>>
>>1210129
Why not? I ride motorcycles and been street riding since I was 16 I can tell ya that looks comfy as fuck for anything that's densely populated.. Sure it sucks on highways or back roads. But for traffic. Hell yeah.
>>
>>1209540

one of these

https://www.gasbike.net/collections/2-stroke-bicycle-engine-kits/products/silver-slant-66cc-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit
>>
>>1210036
This
>>
>>1210129
Yes? That particular one is an iconic model from France, late 70s.
Mopeds are insanely popular everywhere. Most places you don't need motorcycle insurance, but they still get +100mpg and are compact like a motorcycle. They're perfect for commuting if you live in the city, especially.
>>1210240
Sweet. Thanks.
>>
File: blue_moby_50v_motobecane2.jpg (45KB, 410x308px) Image search: [Google]
blue_moby_50v_motobecane2.jpg
45KB, 410x308px
>>1210271
Haha whoops. I thought I posted a mobylette. That's a Puch.
This is the French one.
Anyway they're pretty close to what motorcycles were way back. Basically just a bicycle with a motor and some quality of life improvements.
>>
>>1209123
you might as well just go to town on your tractor instead
>>
>>1209753
That actually works.

no cop will dissasemble the cylinder to measure it
>>
>>1209079

If you try to cheap out on a gas bike, the engine will fail a week from the time you start using it.
>>
>>1209079
Now that shit looks pretty cool.
>>
>>1210513

You want to bet? I have one of those engine kits I bought for myself years ago and I never assembled it. We can have a little test.

Oh, and its rusty because the bin it was in got cracked and water seeped in over winter. It's a mess
>>
www.staton-inc.com

no chinese bullshit. great company selling kits for bikes
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.