[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help setting up my cable. Recently someone came and "fixed"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: scrambled-1.jpg (20KB, 564x366px) Image search: [Google]
scrambled-1.jpg
20KB, 564x366px
I need help setting up my cable. Recently someone came and "fixed" my internet but all he did was take out the old stuff. I used to get a few channels by just connecting my TV directly to the cable but now I only get one channel and a message saying scrambled channel in the rest.
>>
>>1208322
do you subscribe to only internet from the cable company? they encrypted the local channels so you need to subscribe to a cable package and/or get a box from the company
>>
>>1208323
I don't but I have a charge of $0.99 on my bill labeled "TV"

I figure those were the few channels I was able to see.
>>
>>1208323
>>1208324
To clarify, I only subscribe to internet. No cable TV package or phone service.
>>
File: i-ZbSCzcB-L.jpg (74KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-ZbSCzcB-L.jpg
74KB, 338x600px
>>1208322
Hook up an antenna to your TV instead of the cable box.
Scan for local channels.
???
Profit.

>Pic extremely related.

Then call them and tell them to knock the 99ยข fee off your bill, since you're not using it.
>>
>>1208322
Some more details: the contract is with TW and it was like that for years before it stopped. I've had other technician come in and fix stuff but that always stayed the same untill the last guy came.
>>
>>1208332
I would if they weren't all in Spanish
>>
>>1208322
they put a blocker on the beginning of the wire that goes to your house
>>
>>1208322

As said by >>1208349 they put a filter on the wire that comes into your house from the main box. Just climb to the box and remove the filter . just note you can get sued
>>
>>1208617
Getting sued? Doubtful. They'd have to prove he actually removed anything they installed as well explain why there was a. 99 cent TV fee the whole time if there was suppose to be no TV access.
>>
>>1208617
That used to work when we had analog channels.

Now cable is IPTV. Get your family to get another box (u can usually have 2) and take it home. Instant tv.
>>
>>1208846
IPTV is not the same thing as digital cable. It is still a broadcast RF signal, it is just encoded digitally.

This is different from IPTV which actually comes over IP, where your device has an IP address and network card.
>>
Goddamn I'm glad I live in a country where cable companies aren't literally the devil
>>
>>1208941
Well then you're not from here.

You can't get squat here without a box. Digital tuners just get static or what you get in the air when hooked up like that. The got rid of all those free channels a long time ago.

OP will just have to try.
>>
File: A1082-Figure-1-s.jpg (71KB, 600x231px) Image search: [Google]
A1082-Figure-1-s.jpg
71KB, 600x231px
>>1208988
Digital tuners can be scrambled to require a cable card on some or all channels.

Since Op did have digital tv service and it stopped after the tech came, the tech probably put a filter on his tap. That is, the cable company is still broadcasting the channels, but the filter is killing the signal on all of them while letting his high speed internet through.

The other possibility I see is that op's TV was never connected to his cable company. He was just picking up a couple major broadcasters using the cable in his house as an antenna.
>>
>>1208322

1. call and find out why you are being charged .99 and see if that is supposed to be local channels

2. if not, do >>1208332 and get free channels instead

>>1208334
if you are in the US you should be able to get your national broadcast channels, provided the topography is not pee in your bum
>>
>>1208349
>>1208617
>>1209027
What does the filter look like? I've checked the box that is in my house but I don't see an obvious filter.
>>
>>1209064
I'm in a border town that's kind of small. I get maybe like 3 us channels.
>>
>>1209129
how big of an antenna and how high up?
>>
>>1209128
It will be placed at the main. Your cable either comes in aerial, or underground. If aerial, the tap and filter are on the pole outside. If underground, the main will be inside a plastic shell in your yard or neighbors yard somewhere.

Also, if the guy who "fixed" your internet was a legit cable guy, you may have been getting service you weren't supposed to to begin with, and he corrected it because they get their jobs randomly audited regularly. Can't fault the guy for wanting to not get in trouble for leaving it.
>>
>>1209129
Are you pointing your antenna in the direction of the source, or did you just slap it up there? TV antennas aren't like FM Radio ones that just grab what's near.
>>
>>1209134
>>1209231
The arena it's just next to the TV and really it's just pointed towards the direction I get more channels. Which is probably the Mexican side.
>>
>>1209229
It's coming from the pole so it must be aerial. I'll try to get up there and see if I can remove something.
>>
I have a question in regard to aerial antennas. I have an outdoor antenna that has been there for about as long as the house has (early 60's). Would reception be diminished if I were to move it into the attic? I have aluminum siding and wonder if that would effect reception.
>>
>>1209809
>reception be diminished in the attic
>aluminum siding
Yes.
>>
>>1209780
well that's why

you need one in the attic or outside on a pole; height makes a lot of difference
>>
>>1209781
Any traps will look like this. May be a couple screwed together amd zip-tied to the line.

https://www.ncta.com/platform/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/trap_filter-300x182.jpg

>>1209874
This. You need an aerial antenna. Don't justu buy the first one you see. They are all rated for different distances and should be writtenon the box.
>>
>>1210042
Also, if you're going to go up the pole to the cable tap, beware any nosy neighbors that like to stir up turds if you have any.
>>
>>1209835

I have mine pointing just past solar panels and pick up 50 stations, not the end of the world.

OP If you have Comcast they started encrypting all of their channels
>>
>>1208325
>To clarify, I only subscribe to internet. No cable TV package or phone service.

well theres your problem stupid. you arent paying for TV service thus you arent getting any channels.
>>
>>1208617
That hasn't worked since the mid 2000s. If you can crack nagra3, congrats, you're a pioneer.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.