[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vanlife guy here looking for a strong wifi antenna that I can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

Vanlife guy here looking for a strong wifi antenna that I can detach when under way.
You guys every make any stuff like this?
Hoping to poach the sweet signals from malls and restaurants when I travel.
>>
https://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/
>>
>>1207679
You can make antennas that you can mount on your Van and then make it bendable using some hinges so you can hide it when you travel. Or you make the antenna extend up/down and attach it on the sides.
>>
>>1207679
post van pls
>>
>>1207679
Google wok-fi antenea.

Have 5 miles
>>
>>1208611
Wok fi works good.
>>
File: 1483142335399.webm (2MB, 472x458px) Image search: [Google]
1483142335399.webm
2MB, 472x458px
>>1208611
That's fucking cool
>>
>>1207679
Buy an Ubiquiti PTP router and use it as a transparent bridge. Even the cheaper models can have a range of up to fifteen miles.
>>
Silentwind does a marine model of what you are looking for rated for 7 nautical miles in good conditions. Don't know how well it would work without a mast though.
>>
>>1207679
>vanlife

>homeless
ftfy
>>
>>1208613
I wondered. Bout to try it soon.

Whats the feasible line of site range for cheap shit u reckon?
>>
>>1208664
Never done it.

I hear good things.

Old satelite dish is master race but a stainless wok works good.>>1208613
>>
>>1209832
Depends entirely on what they're using to broadcast the signal. I'd roughly say a 100 yards for a decent AP.
>>
>>1207679
I love that van
>>
>>1208308
Do this
>>
File: 20170717_113733.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_113733.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1207679
Approve my plans van man!
>>
File: 20170717_113909.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_113909.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1210664
This is with an overhead view as well. We've got a memory foam mattress cut down to manlet length, what I'm calling a "Murphy desk" to conceal valuables and double as a desk while stationary. Fridge under the desk, cabinetry storage across from headspace in sleeping area, under bed storage, and a 120v shore power system, with 12v Led overhead lighting.

Anyone anywhere in the US know where I can find used hightops for vans? I frequent my local junkyard and they said they never see them. I tinkered with designing my own.
>>
>>1207679
Check out andrew mcneil's youtube channel. He makes amazing tutorials on RF stuff.
>>
File: 1489953247922.jpg (698KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489953247922.jpg
698KB, 1600x1200px
>>1210666
What kind of van are you looking for satan?
I suggest a chebby
>>
>>1211105
I own an 05' F150 Super Duty I used to use for contracting work. I've drawn like 5 sets of plans and I can't decide which route to take before I start. I think these last plans look good, this is the first concept of a folding desk/entertainment center I've had that's snug to the wall. Provides an opportunity to protect and secure everything while in motion, while also leaving the option of lots of floor space while stationary.

I believe the van to simply be too small for a sink or any sort. But if we can procure a short bus, I would install a typical RV quality bathroom and kitchen arrangement.
>>
>>1208673
This. I'd suggest a Nanostation or Loco M2.
>>
i have used this one in a wardrive, works great long range. i'd recommend an alfa wifi adapter aswell.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5067_TL-ANT2424B.html
>>
File: 8dhh843hwr3u.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
8dhh843hwr3u.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>1210664
>>1210666
as a to-be road dweller who has done basic experimentation with a few different vehicles (finding one nearby, walking in/around and also testing a van or two), I would seriously recommend a vehicle you can stand in with enough arm clearance to at least stretch most of the way up. It really, really makes a difference in how easy it is to be comfortable. being even slightly slouched for extended periods of time will get taxing on the body and will just make the experience terrible.

Pic related is one of the candidates I have picked out for living conversion (not this exact model, but something similar in size and interior space), and even then I will be expanding the ceiling on it a little for that extra roomy feeling, if we end up deciding that it's the right vehicle for us.
>>
>>1211742
I did find some serious candidates on Ebay, but my opportunity to get a vehicle loan has come and passed. You're definitely in the right ballpark with this guy here man, and if I can get my hands on the same I'll be going for it as well. We've all been lied to, there is nothing shameful in being nomadic and refusing to pay rents.
>>
File: interior.jpg (60KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
interior.jpg
60KB, 800x600px
>>1211755
It truly is a superior lifestyle for those without kids.

>tfw when you and your spouse (if any) can work your full time job(s) as usual
>tfw rent disappears, along with almost all other bills
>tfw if you lose your job, you can relocate to another area without being stuck in a contract and limited to a radius around the property you live on
>tfw you are able to save a tremendous amount of money by instantly learning to not buy what you probably don't need, since there would be no actual space for it
>tfw electricity becomes no issue
>tfw you can park near a wifi hotspot and get free internet, or follow some clever tricks from anons ITT
>...

I conveniently ignore the downsides to the nomadic lifestyle in this post, but it's just that - our personal choices to opt out of the contracts that hold us by the balls and swallows our money whole at the cost of the obvious things we would lose.

>>1211398
>

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Buses/6728/i.html?_sop=12&_nkw=bus&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

you can even check places like craigslist, or perhaps surplus sales in your state, or a bordering state. They're incredibly helpful, but don't loose out on the opportunity to get exactly what you want at a cheap price. I will shill for enough space to stand tall until I die. Short busses should be fairly cheap.
>>
>>1208673
>>1211666
This can actually work if I have a phone/tablet and not a real computer right?
>>
File: 396_Frasher_bus_1.jpg (18KB, 396x297px) Image search: [Google]
396_Frasher_bus_1.jpg
18KB, 396x297px
>>1211742
I'm actually looking at a similar type of vehicle for a conversation project, I want to outfit it though to be road worthy on unstable and beaten terrian. The one I found is the e450 chassis with a V10 gas engine. I know nothing about mechanics and engines and I plan on learning a lot from this project, would I be better off with a gas or diesel model if I want to hit all 49?
>>
>>1212261
are you overlanding?
>>
>>1212261
Diesel runs until failure. Gas engines you should expect an entire overhaul every 300k max.
>>
>>1212320
Absolutely. I would cross the Darien gap in it if I could. My plan is to build a small a small recording studio in rear section of the bus and split my time between cities where I'll use a gym membership for showers and buy food, and the wilderness and national parks so I can find inspiration in isolation and nature. I'm a North Floridan, so I grew up offroading and driving 4x4s, being able to explore at my own whim is important to me.

>>1212335
So a gas engine rebuild is gonna cost me more if it fails?
>>
>>1211105
Is this real or photoshop?
>>
File: 1.jpg (77KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
77KB, 600x516px
>>1212346
>>1212261
diesel

It really is a fantastic vehicle that isn't too big or too small, and can fit quite a bit if you're smart with your space, but I would advise that you have a toilet/shower combo of some kind. You will not regret it when you wake up in the middle of the night and need to shit, or if you get the runs on the road. What I've have picked up pretty quickly in my research is that your vehicle should be as self sufficient as possible.

>larger water tank for less frequent refilling
>toilet/shower (even an outdoor handle shower)
>spare fuel/propane if necessary
>solar panels
>battery bank hooked to panels
>LED lights for less power usage
>small twig stove for heat, rather than propane or electric

There's a whole slew of things that would be necessary to avoid trips to stores and RV parks, but it's really worth the extra work that goes into it. Even if you don't want most of these, a toilet of some form would be absolutely necessary.
>>
>>1211398
I dont underatand why none of you carry a pickup bed trailer with a camper shell or pop up.

Easily stand up and shower and have a shitter and storage...

I mean hell. You can get a jump pickup and camper for 3 grand and limp around way easier than retrofitting a van
>>
>>1209545
>nomadic life

>houseless
ftfy

Home is wherever we roam.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170720-094001.png (351KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170720-094001.png
351KB, 720x1280px
>>1211787
Anon u ever crawled ina small walk in closet and lived with your spouse?

As a former truckerfag my wife and i were ready to murder each other living ina fucking 6x6 box
>>
>>1212551
>As a former truckerfag my wife and i were ready to murder each other living ina fucking 6x6 box
I've heard this story a lot. I knew a guy whose marriage ended because of their life innatruck.
>>
>>1212261
NOOOOOooooooooo!!

NO NO NO V10 ANON

RUN

RUN FAR AWAY.

highly suggest diesel if moving on the reg.

Gas is fine is moving or idling very very seldome.

Highly suggest chevy. Either newer nice big motor or go old school with factory or fresh rebuilt 454 chevy. ANY hotrod mechanic can help u out and u learn basic mechanics. 3 of my 5 cars are big block chevy and carbeurated. All daily drivers.

You kids and your newfangled fuel enjection OUT!

LOL, in all seriousness op stay away from piece of shit dodge. Stay away from V10. Only get ford if u know a ford mechanic.
>>
>>1212346
Ya. Deisle expensive up front bit run for mutherfucking ever. Highly siggest deisle or get a gasser that also came in a deisle model and start saving for the conversion.
>>
>>1212545
I still for the life of me cannot figure out why u anons dont tow a trailer also. Pull trailer is easy af.
>>
>>1212553
Ours was fucking close.

Its just not good...

Maybe if we had more time apart or could go do stuff besides just fuckibg haul dick 24/7 and never sleep but i dunno
>>
>>1212557
Also, why don't they just tow a job trailer with an RV? It'd be like having two small houses, but with wheels. You could even put a trailer on your trailer and have a whole big house train.
>>
>>1212559
I don't think I could do it. I love being around my SO, but I also love my alone time, and she's the same way.
>>
>>1212563
Only one solution - never get married or even have a girlfriend. And with the money saved with not paying rent and utilities, fuck hookers instead.
>>
>>1212568
that gets lonely and boring.
>>
build one with a magnet base so you can attach and detach it at will, just make sure you put a thin layer of some sort of padding so you dont scratch the paint
>>
>>1212547
I also own a F150 Super Duty with 4W and the payload isn't high enough to hold two people and a bed camper, manufactured or designed myself. Thanks for coming.
>>
>>1212559
>he lived in a vehicle just to non-stop drive

You guys didn't go sight seeing? Assuming you did it willingly rather than economic reasons, what was the point if you didn't enjoy the free bestowed upon you?
>>
>>1212569
There is nothing more lonely to me than living with a woman.
What
A
Drag
Also as a fellow trucker, its only really a good job for single people , at least otr or regional where you are out for a week or more at a time.
I would never leave a woman alone that long, just begging to be cucked if you do that.
>>
>>1212569
You're speaking from experience? Stories?
>>
File: CIAMemeball.jpg (74KB, 760x960px) Image search: [Google]
CIAMemeball.jpg
74KB, 760x960px
>>1212826
short story time I guess, but it's not that complicated

>had gf from 19 until horrific breakup at 22
>missed sex too much
>pay for hookers on the low to "cheer myself up"
>didn't work, but kept doing it because why not
>go to Amsterdam for a trip when I was 23 (lucked out on a very inexpensive ticket with some old buds)
>spent around $900 - $1000 over the course of a week for sex
>felt ashamed and empy inside - essentially paying top dollar for HD masturbation that really didn't change or do anything
>the good feeling it gave me faded seconds after each session

I can't remember exactly what I payed before the trip, but I estimate that in total, I lost about easily $2,500 - $3,000 dollars to payed sex. Wish I could get that money and time back. Everything is fine now though.

Protip: unless helpless virgin, payed sex will usually not satisfy you.
>>
>>1211787
>cupboard with classes
>books and shit
>not stowed at all.
confirmed for non-roadworthy
>>
>>1211795
Yeah. You would need a consumer router to put on the other end of the PTP bridge.
>>
File: trailer.jpg (49KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
trailer.jpg
49KB, 750x400px
>>1212557
>>1212560
>>1212547

If you mean bring along something like a 5x8 enclosed trailer for some decent extra storage for the conversion, than sure, I was considering the possibility. Probably fit some scooters in their for city nav or strolling.

However, if you were referring to something like pic related, you're out of your damn mind. These things are constructed of staples, Elmers Glue, and needles. They are so incredibly horrible. I know a guy who works on these things full time and he has even shown me how terrible the construction for trailers and fifth wheels are. The overall construction isn't meant to last, it's meant to be made lightweight enough that almost any car or truck that rolls into the lot can leave with something it can pull, and that means using shitty ultra-light materials that don't last long, tires that fail, particle board for almost the entire fucking thing, and that results in many many trips back to the RV center to wait in a line of retards who're having the same issue.

Yes, you can probably purchase a used camper for really cheap, and have most 4WD vehicles be able to pull it, but the cut cost isn't worth that stress that is guaranteed to happen. From it falling apart. by Doing It Ourselves (crazy idea, I know) than we can at least ensure that we make our parts last longer by using real wood, better screws, strong apoxy, good insulation, etc.
>>
>>1212978
I'm with this guy, and as a craftsman am absolutely appalled at the prices of trailers new.
>>
>>1212981
http://www.rvt.com/New-Heartland-Sundance-Travel-Trailer-RVs-For-Sale-On-RVT.com/results?type=Travel%20Trailers&manu=Heartland&brand=Sundance&new=1&page=2

>mfw people legitimately buy these things for these prices
>mfw people buy these things at all

Can't blame the people for wanting to have an escape vehicle for a few short vacations, maybe with the kids or something, and I can't expect everyone to just convert a vehicle for travel, but I could never justify spending this amount of money for paper film boxes on 8' rims that are held together by gum and glue, and may god have mercy on whoever buys one used

>mfw doing research on the bus-life nomad living thing and seeing people who have opted for a quick, cheap, and easy trailer
>mfw they are generally the ones with half their videos on how shitty it is, and all the extra stuff they need to do for it
>constant leaks
>floorboard cracking
>shoddy hitch welding jobs
>electrical failures
>black/gray water issues
>tire damage

never ever
>>
bamperoni
>>
>>1210666
>>1210664
I wish there were some easily available templates for the more common used vans. I know you can look up most of these measurements, but they leave out a lot of details, like where the wall frames are, and the cab dimensions.
>>
>>1214073
That's the truth my man. That is why I designed mine based on a vehicle I already own, despite having the standard ceiling height.
>>
for those of you who are living the vanlife, what was the final factor that made you pull the triger and build your van?

did you stay in the same area as you're currently living, or move to a new area?

is it tiresome to constantly need to find a safe, quiet place to park and sleep?
any stealth, city vanners here?
>>
>>1214111
I travel , did mexico this winter. Have done stealth in cities , you get used to finding spots. If a place is not quiet , use earplugs.
The only thing is staying away from hot places in summer.
I am also a level 4 MGTOW
>>
>>1214237
post vehicle pics - exterior, interior (of course, black out plates). I want to see what your form of lifestyle entails with living space.
>>
>>1214073
Go to a junkyard and ask nicely to take some measurements.
>>
>>1214073
Ask around at expedition portal , they might have what you need
>>
File: northDakotaVanman.jpg (111KB, 960x627px) Image search: [Google]
northDakotaVanman.jpg
111KB, 960x627px
>>1214111
I was working as a pipefitter during the Bakken oil boom. I had heard of workers perishing in the winter when the housing shortage forced them to car camp, so I decided it was important to have a vehicle in which I could lay down flat (6'1" with a minor chronic back injury) and stay warm in extreme cold without running heat. I bought a Chrysler Town & Country, folded down the Stow 'n Go seats, and set up a very comfortable cot with a +30°F sleeping bag nested inside of a -10°F sleeping bag right behind the drivers seat. I had room for all of my clothes and such under the cot and had room for my small gangbox behind the passenger seat, with just enough room between my box and my cot for my legs so that I could sit on the cot and use the box as a desk. I also had room for a dirty laundry hamper, car emergency stuff, food storage, books, etc.

When I first went out there, the housing shortage had ended (was still expensive, though). Coworkers noticed my van setup and told the boss on my first day: he told me I wouldn't have a job if I got caught sleeping in my van. I stayed in a hotel and didn't get to do any van camping.

Fast forward a bit, that boss had been fired and I was on my way from Bismark to Minot late at night. Too tired to finish the trek safely, I pulled over for a 15 minute nap, van still warm from the heater. As soon as my nap was over, my phone rang and I got stuck in a 45 minute conversation with a friend who was having a bad time of things. At the end of that conversation, I realized I could see my breath but was still cozy warm--the van thermometer said it was -12°F. I spent the night there and got an Anytime Fitness membership instead of a hotel room when I got back to town.

>is it tiresome to constantly need to find a safe, quiet place to park and sleep?
It can be, depending on the region. Once you get a feel for things it becomes less of an issue.

>any stealth, city vanners here?
I've done that before. AMA, I guess.
>>
>>1214447
does it usually bother you that you won't have standing space in your "home" ever? Do you end up with aches and such?
>>
File: 177077.jpg (376KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
177077.jpg
376KB, 2048x1536px
>>1214703
The van is just part of my home. I spend more time out of it than in it, so standing space isn't much of an issue.

In a traditional housing situation, you have a centralized home: your sleeping quarters, hygiene quarters, food preparation, secure storage, etc. are all in one place. Alternative arrangements employ some degree of decentralized housing: all of these elements are still present, but not in one location. I use my van for sleeping and storage, and take care of most of the other "home" things outside of the van.
>>
>>1214447
Where do you shit
>>
>>1214956
Usually in a toilet at work, at the gym, at the grocery store, at a truck stop/gas station, etc., or I'll dig a hole innawoods.
>>
>>1214956
All of what >>1215010 says but I also keep a luggable loo for emergencies
>>
should I just make a DIY /Nomad/ thread?

Would that be better?
>>
>>1215850
/diy/ is a slow board, there's nothing wrong with this thread--maybe make the next one more general if you want to keep it going, but this one is fine for now. /o/ responds well to vandweller threads and /out/ has a homeless general if you need some more van life chan life inspiration between /diy/ responses.

>>>/o/
>>>/out/1062116
>>
>>1215856
Thanks m8

I was considering a bus conversion to possibly live in and I wanted to know if anyone here did it/currently lives it to get an idea. I guess /o/ would be a better place since it's mostly vehicle based.
>>
stump
>>
>>1212841
>tfw you can't buy love
>>
>>1217615
No but in all honesty you can only have short term love in america anyway.
Pretty much all relationships fail now and the woman gets all your goods
>>
>>1218061
Half now means almost all? And they can only take half the stuff you accumulated since you got married: it's your own fault if you can't take pictures or save receipts of stuff you got before you got married.

I'll take what are pre-nups for $100 Alex.
>>
>>1218076
>And they can only take half the stuff you accumulated since you got married
Wrong.

>what are pre-nups
literally fucking nothing
>>
>>1218076
anon I sure hope you are not counting on some prenup you got 5 years ago, worthless paper now.
>>
>>1218081
In my state, definitely not wrong.

>>1218084
If you list the stuff you have before you got married in the pre-nup you have a very, very good chance of keeping that stuff.

You guys have been listening to bullshit from your asshole buddies for too long.
>>
>>1218086
Only if its not challenged by a powerful lawyer.
If she hires a really good one, and yours is only average, that prenup is gone daddy gone.
>>
>>1218097
Well... I don't have to worry anyway, I did it smart. The tools I have are "users," they work fine but are nearly worthless. And my wife makes more than me anyway, so if she decided to divorce me she'd be on the losing end. That's how it's done gentlemen: have nothing to take and marry a woman worth more than you.
>>
>>1218104
If you make a babby, she will make you leave and send moneys.
She will stop working or cut back.
Court will make you pay 40% of your income
>>
>>1215870
>>>/trv/ is a board, too. I didn't know about them until just now, but their sticky mentions "Vagabonding."
>>
>>1218353
>Vagabonding
Not the same as van dwelling
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.