[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a new window AC. It's meant for vertical sliding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (278KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
278KB, 360x480px
Just got a new window AC. It's meant for vertical sliding windows, but I got a metal bracket that will fix it to the railing of a horizontal sliding window.

However, I still need close the gap of about 21"x30" (HxW) atop the AC.

What's a good material to use? I need it to be sound, and heat insulating, and also waterproof.

My gut instinct was to get some Plexiglass, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1500x1500px
Also, I can't drill or use silicone glue or such (renting), so I was thinking of using pic related to fix the whatever panel I wind up using.
>>
I use this rigid foam stuff when I need to poke pipes through a ground-level window.
The downside is that it has no strength at all and offers no resistance to break-ins.
>>
>>1207593
You literally posted a picture of what you need to do....
>>
>>1207595

Super strong adhesive on a rubber backing ... and you think that will be easier to remove cleanly than silicone?
>>
File: file.png (257KB, 1520x639px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
257KB, 1520x639px
>>1207601
I figured strong rubberized tape would pull off in one piece with a slow persistent force.

With silicone, I'd have to scrap it off with a tool, no?

Also, wouldn't the thick rubber contribute to the sound-insulation?

If not, I might use like pic related instead.

What do you think?
>>
>>1207599
Do you think wood would work for both sound insulation and water resistance?

I figure I'd have to oil it, and even then in my experience I've generally found wood to be high-maintenance.

It's more expensive than plexiglass too. But really, I'm shit with wood.

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>1207611
Wood won't give you much insulation, and due to its weight you might have a hard time getting it to stay in place with tape.
use
>>1207596
and paint it if you don't like hot pink.
>>
>>1207596
>>1207625
This is foam, right? I imagine it's gonna be great for thermal, but what about sound? I live 2 blocks away from a railway and even though I'm on the 17th floor the noise is still pretty bad if there's nothing damping it.

Upside though is that I don't have to worry about strength for break ins. As long as it will hold against wind or rain that high up.

Also, did they actually pay to use the Pink Panther license for this foam stuff? Wow.
>>
File: ac-in-window.jpg (259KB, 1144x856px) Image search: [Google]
ac-in-window.jpg
259KB, 1144x856px
>>1207611
>Do you think wood would work for both sound insulation and water resistance?
>I figure I'd have to oil it, and even then in my experience I've generally found wood to be high-maintenance.
>It's more expensive than plexiglass too. But really, I'm shit with wood.
>What are your thoughts?

Do what OP's pic. Paint the outside face white then a few coats of poly. Cut some of that pink foam to size and glue to the inside of the plywood. Boom! Strong and insulated. Maintenance is reapplying poly every year or two.
>>
You keep worrying about sound reduction.
If you don't install the a/c unit, how much does the glass reduce the sound?
Anything you put up there will do as well as the glass window for sound isolation.

You're also worried about high maintenance of what you put up.
You're renting. You won't be there long enough to have to maintain it.

Use plywood like in the OP image.
Safer, better strength, more durable.
Paint the outside to match/compliment the house.
Paint the inside to match/compliment the room.
>>
>>1208221
>You're renting. You won't be there long enough to have to maintain it.
My aunt has been in her apartment for about 40 years now. While I wouldn't recommend copying that at all, you never really know how long a renter is going to stay.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.