[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/ homeowners What do you think of mini-splits? I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: minisplit.jpg (3KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
minisplit.jpg
3KB, 280x280px
Sup /diy/ homeowners

What do you think of mini-splits?

I currently live in New England and have baseboard heating for the winter and window units for the summer. The heat is OK (although I think baseboard heaters are kin of ugly) but in the summer it gets really fucking hot. I also can't open the windows when the weather is mild without removing the AC units.

Apparently a mini-split can function more efficiently for both purposes. Has anyone else had one?
>>
>>1207407

They're better than window units. Period. Downsides are cost and more complicated installation.
>>
>>1207423
Yeah it seems that they're around $800-$900 plus close to $2000 to pay some dude to install them (I can do basic handiwork but I'm not gonna do anything that touches my roof).

I should see if I can figure out how much electricity I'd save and if I can get my power company to subsidize it since they already said they'd replace my lightbulbs with LEDs to save power.
>>
>>1207424
You can save a lot of money if you do some of the installation by your self, it is simple af
>>
>>1207435
Shit, really?I'll look into installing it myself then.
>>
>>1207407
I was going to 2 of these in a 900sqft bungalow I was going to buy. Cheaper than instaling central and very efficient compared to window units.
>>
I got Mitsubishi mini-splits for my 2000 sq ft 2 level house. they are perfect. costs me 90$ in the summer to cool 24/7. they are not like fucking window ACs though, geez. To warm the house 24/7 in the winter the price doubled to 180 a month. it's much easier to cool than heat. These units can heat a house up to -40 F or so outside so take that into account. I live around Seattle so it doesn't get that cold.
>>
>>1207604
>it's much easier to cool than heat
The opposite is actually true anon. Heat pumps just lose efficiency with cold. They're really only good for heating in very mild areas like the south.
>>
>>1207604
New England gets much colder than Seattle, but doesn't get to -40F.
>>
>>1208007
im in the suburbs of seattle like the other guy. I have a fujitsu 45KBTU outdoor and 5 indoor heads. even when it's 20 outside there is plenty of heat from the individual heads. plus I only heat or cool the rooms im in. I am also a commercial hvac guy so I've installed quite a few of these not only in commercial but resi side jobs. they are quiet, efficient and easy to install.
>>
I live in Panama do I only know about the cooling aspect. They are great. Only cool the rooms you are using instead of the whole house. Just make sure you buy inverter models. My experience with LG units has been great. Panasonic/sankey/carrier have all had problems and needed parts replaced. But the LG just keeps on going.
>>
>>1208020
Got a 13 year old LG pumping cold out like a motherfucker

It's taken some repairs here and there though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.