[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I recently finished a computer desk with pic related, well it's been about a month and a half and the finish feels like rubber, I can make indentations with my finger nail, what went wrong?
>>
Heat?
>>
>>1207398
Should I blow a fan on it?
>>
>>1207396
Perhaps you didn't let what's under it dry well enough? Dunno. Bumping for interest, though. I was thinking about using that stuff next time i finished a project.
>>
File: 1421459093840.jpg (139KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
1421459093840.jpg
139KB, 1024x942px
>>1207411
I'm thinking I might have laid it on too thick? I'll wait it out till the end of this month, if it doesn't cure I might just have to sand it off.
That's would be a bitch
>>
Usually a soft, slow drying finish indicates that it was applied in too thick a layer. There is still solvent trying to evaporate, but the top layer has skinned over and this is greatly reducing the speed at which the remaining solvent can evaporate. It might come good in another few months, or it might not.

Good luck sanding it off, it makes a real mess of sandpaper. If you want a tough and thick clear finish you could try the tabletop epoxies.
>>
File: how to apply polycrylic.png (33KB, 803x364px) Image search: [Google]
how to apply polycrylic.png
33KB, 803x364px
>>1207396
>what went wrong?
>>
File: Paint-over-oil-paint[1].jpg (42KB, 578x385px) Image search: [Google]
Paint-over-oil-paint[1].jpg
42KB, 578x385px
>>1207446
>Usually a soft, slow drying finish indicates that it was applied in too thick a layer. There is still solvent trying to evaporate, but the top layer has skinned over and this is greatly reducing the speed at which the remaining solvent can evaporate. It might come good in another few months, or it might not.
>Good luck sanding it off, it makes a real mess of sandpaper. If you want a tough and thick clear finish you could try the tabletop epoxies.

This anon has it right. Want to hear a sloppy paint horror story? The previous owner slopped on really dark paint all over everything about 15 years ago. Before selling he slopped primer and light paint right over that. That dark paint from 15 years ago still hasn't dried/cured. It never will either. Every single door and cabinet sticks a little bit, some quite a bit. The light color paint doesn't seem to want to bond with the old dark layer and peels off in places. It's a shit show and I see lots of time being spent with a heat gun and flat out replacing a shit ton of trim.

Don't rush it. Thin coats. Let them dry.

There's saying something to the effect: If you don't have the time to do it right the first time then you definitely don't have the time to redo it.
>>
>>1207446
>still solvent trying to evaporate
This makes sense, considering it's water based. Any other kind of base would probably dry faster than water evaporating, especially if it was really thick.
>>
>>1207419

>sand 100-320 grit
>primer 2x
>wet sand 600 grit
>paint 3x
>wet sand 600 grit
>polycrylic 2-3x thin coats
>let it set 48 hours
>wet sand 1200+ grit

This is my current plan for my desk and is the only reason I'm here right now, I bought this same polycrylic clear to put over my oil based paint. Now I'm curious about how it all went wrong.
>>
>>1208978

Oh, and I was going to wet sand between each polycrilic coat with 600 grit. My paint will be thinned and leveled with mineral spirits and leveler.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.