[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to remove the fuel line from the carburetor to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 20170710_201426edit.jpg (998KB, 844x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20170710_201426edit.jpg
998KB, 844x1500px
I'm trying to remove the fuel line from the carburetor to change the filter on a '74 coupe deville.
The two fittings are stuck together and want to move as one, though the larger fitting is loose from the carburetor. If I try to turn both together it wants to twist the fuel line, which I'm afraid will kink and break.

How should I go about getting the fittings off? I've tried using two wrenches as well as a wrench and vise grips, but there's very little room to work with and I'm afraid of further stripping the hex.
>>
whats on the other end of the solid fuel line? does it switch to rubber hose that you could remove and just let the solid line spin?

assuming you've tried wd-40/ pb blaster on it?
>>
>>1207355
The solid line snakes it's way all the way around and down to the fuel pump, so I can't let it spin unless I remove all the other hoses and such on top of it. Trying to avoid doing all that just to change a simple fuel filter.
Tried WD-40, don't have any pb blaster. Only other thing I can find on google is to use flare nut wrenches, which I would have to buy as I don't have any. Just hate to have to buy tools for such a simple thing.
>>
>>1207354
Need a brake line wrench or 2 or just rip it off and run rubber line and a cheap filter.
>>
>>1207362
Shit, then just hacksaw it off and get a rubber line over it like i do to all my shit.
>>
>>1207363
>line wrench
yeah not using this in the first place screwed you over

>>1207364
yup, hacksaw the tubing going to it
>>
make you own flare nut wrench from a normal spanner. looks like a small size 1/2? 7/16? everyone has at least 2 of those laying around.

cut the end out of a spanner with a grinder. other than. maybe try jamming the smaller metric equivalent on there, might give you enough grab without it rounding off the nut any more.

good luck.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>1207354
>not cutting fuel lines
>>
Well looking at flare nut wrench sets they're not too expensive, so I'm just gonna buy a small set and some proper penetrating oil and try that.
The smaller fitting is 5/8" so that's easy to find in a cheap set, but the larger fitting is 1-1/4" which are kind of expensive so I'll probably have to see if my dad has an old one I can take the grinder to as >>1207368 suggested.

If that fails I'll just cut the line and put a new fitting on. At least I'll probably use the wrenches again at some point in the future.

The car belonged to my aunt and had been sitting in a garage for about 15 years, so it's in pretty good shape overall, but needs a number of small fixes from sitting for so long.
>>
File: wrench.jpg (42KB, 475x351px) Image search: [Google]
wrench.jpg
42KB, 475x351px
>>1207354
Those need the correct wrench or they will strip. pic related.
Often those are buggered up because someone had a small leak and decided that adding threadlock or cranking on the nut was a good idea.
A new piece of hardline would be cheap anyway.
I am not a fan of rubber lines for a carb application unless you plan on using the correct type of fuel fittings. No band clamps! AN style fittings. You don't want fuel barfing all over your engine.
>>
>>1207748
the're usually called brakeline spanners or crows foot spanners depending on who you talk to.
>>
>>1207748
>>1207908
Really, because they look like regular crescent wrenches to me.
>>
File: crows foot.jpg (109KB, 650x442px) Image search: [Google]
crows foot.jpg
109KB, 650x442px
>>1207908
In the USA its called a flare wrench
A crows foot is pic related, which they can be bought as a flare head too.

>>1207913
The one in front is clearly a flare wrench, the one is back is a normal combination wrench
Also a "crescent wrench" refers to an adjustable wrench.
>>
>>1207748
>No band clamps! AN style fittings

Could you elaborate? I tried to google an hose clamp and came up with mostly items like pic related but no real description. These look like fancy band clamps, so could you provide an image or a description of a proper AN style fitting for a fuel line.

I'm not trying to argue, but I've used the ordinary band clamps for literally decades and always thought they were superior to the spring type clamps that I commonly see. I tend to not re-use band clamps very much; after one or three tightenings I replace them.

Maybe I've just been lucky, and as I said, I'm not arguing, but rather I'm wanting to learn the correct way. thanks.
>>
>>1207961
http://www.jegs.com/c/Fittings-Hose/181705/10002/-1
>>
>>1207984

those are some beautiful parts. If I had the money, my engine would be a showpiece.

But as I said, ordinary stainless steel band clamps seem to work fine for me. If you are that guy, why do you say they should never be used?
>>
>>1207368
I forgot that trick.

Yeah op. Get a good 6 point box end rench and knotch it to fit over the line
>>
>>1207354
Is this similar to the lines on the mid 80s trucks?
Those were threaded opposite... you set a wrench on the small nut and hold it while you loosen the large one.
>>
>>1208734
I really do think that was the solution I came up with some years ago for my 86 g30. Fucking reverse threads are dumb.
>>
>>1208622

why not just buy flare wrenches? you are buying inferior box wrenches and ruining them.

/diy/ means doing things smart, to make things better. not fucking things up.

a box end wrench abused with a grinder is not as good as a proper flare wrench.

I bet you never asked for a shot of black.
>>
>>1208753
If the flare nut wrench doesn't clear then I slice up a box end (tools are expendable) with a zip disc but every mechanic should have SIX POINT flare nut wrenches.

When those fittings go back together make sure to use anti-seize on the threads so that shit doesn't happen again.
>>
With brake lines I usually get a little mini torch and heat up the fitting, then blast it with penetrating spray. Works great.

Probably not a good idea with fuel lines, of course, unless you could totally drain the line somehow, and make sure that when residual gas in it catches fire it won't be pointing at anything important.

What's the other end of the fuel line attatched to? If you can get the other end loose you could turn the entire fuel line in order to get it off.

If none of that works, fuck it, just snap the line and put a new one in. Bending a new steel fuel line isn't very hard.
>>
>>1207364
>hacksaw
nah use a cutting wheel. you'll never have another problem with that car again, i guarantee.
>>
>>1208860
LOL.
>>
>>1208781
Carb to the fucking gas tank. No amount of blowing air down it make it safe.

Careful cut or get the fucking nut off so u dont win a darwin award
>>
>>1208753
Obviously buying a good wrench set is prefered but most people gotta box end wrench on hand and op already been a week fucking with 1 nut.
>>
>>1208734
Yup. Samesame
>>
GM always uses this fitting for their in-line fuel filters, all i can say for sure is that once that small nut begins to round your basically fucked. get a proper sized line wrench but if it still rounds use a large vice grip that has a FLAT gripping surface and clap that shit so hard that 2 people have to close it.
>>
>>1209126
Truth.
>>
>>1209126
Seconded. The big fitting holds the spring-loaded paper fuel filter in the carb (may be missing if previous mechanic was retarded, if so will make car hard to start after it sits because fuel drains out of bowl, it's also a backflow preventing valve). Purchase two line wrenches of the proper size. (they fit around a nut / fitting farther, gripping more sides, only a small opening to fit around the line and slide up). Remember, 1974 American car, so these are not metric. Dont recall exact size. I've removed / rebuilt / installed many carbs like that. I'm 99% certain it's a rochester quadrajet. When properly repaired and adjusted, nothing runs better. Pro tip: Mix some Acetone with either ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil, 50/50. Place a few drops on the threads and give it time (30 mins or more) to soak in. Far better than PB Blaster.
>>
>>1210856
I don't believe you. I'll have to try that sometime at my shop
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.