[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /diy/. My Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I front sight blade will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

Sup, /diy/.
My Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I front sight blade will not stay put. It's loose enough to be moved back and forth with bare fingers.

So I was thinking about doing this:
- apply a thin layer of solder to the bottom of the blade to get a tighter fit
- lightly tap the sight into the correct position (already measured it)
- flow some more solder into the gap so that the blade stays put by friction alone
- blacken the whole thing over a candle

And yes, I know that it won't be an actual joint if I use tin/lead solder on steel. But all I need is to introduce enough friction to the assembly for the blade to STAY in the fucking groove under recoil.
My question for you is, will the tin solder actually spread across the surface and adhere strongly enough for the blade to be tapped into the groove? Or will it bead up and not stick at all, or flake right off?

>just silver solder it you retard
Can't. The temperatures required are too high to use here.

>just stake it retard
Can't. It's simply too loose for that, also I don't want to put any permanent marks on the rifle.

>just loctite it retard
Again, too loose.

>it will melt right off when you shoot the rifle you retard
Nope, measured it and the sight base never gets nearly hot enough.
Maybe if I actively tried to get the rifle as hot as physically possible, but that's obviously not a concern.

Pic only slightly related.

Thanks!
>>
Can't you just shim the dovetail with aluminum foil or something?
>>
Epoxy
>>
Are humsmithing generals still a thing on /k/ or have the nogun summerfags completely taken over?
>>
>>1206634
Have you tried using a punch to stake it in place? Or on the bottom of the dovetail to raise the metal around the punch mark, in effect tightening the blade? How about a spot or two of loctite (or fingernail polish) to hold it in place?
>>
>>1206639
>>1206640

I considered these, but I'm pretty sure the recoil would shake it apart eventually.
Long term, not many things will hold up to recoil.

>>1206641

/k/ has never been a good place to ask about gunsmithing.

>>1206642

Like I said, it's positively swimming in the groove, so loctite probably won't hold it in place, and I'm not a fan of staking collectible rifles.
Staking the bottom of the dovetail actually sounds reasonable, though, it won't leave any visible marks and it could work.
>>
you can solder it (or rather braze) with brass or even better silver, tin or lead isn't good for steel soldering.
Tin solder might spread out but it won't adhere.
>>
>>1206645
>so loctite probably won't hold it in place

Red loctite works wonders for loose dovetails
Dont knock it till you try it
>>
>>1206645
I left k a couple years ago, I visit on occasion but its all turned to shit. Theres never any hunting boards and the ammount of summer is fucking absurd.
To be honest, I think ive outgrown this Hungarian brick laying forum.
>>
It's a pretty common problem on those enfields. Staking it is the best fix because it can still be adjusted normally afterwards.
>>
>>1206634
check ebay for replacement front sights.
Not a fan of solder.
Peen the bottom of the sight. That usually expands it enough to fit.
The alternative is to use a brass drift and tap the keyway tighter. Not a fan of that either.
>>
>>1206658

It fell out mid-session. Friend took a shot, took aim again and turned his head to me "hey, man, there's no front sight."
We found out at <100m you can hit well enough even without the sight, using the hood for reference.

>>1206660
>Peen the bottom of the sight.

Will try this first, damn, the blade is even parted, it should have been fucking obvious.
>>
Modern industrial locking compounds are fucking wonderful. I've used them for many years on machinery and vehicles.

Try red Loctite. I prefer the gel for convenience.

This will definitely work but you can find red Loctite/Permatex threadlocker at any auto store.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Loctite/LT37484.html
>>
You want Loctite bearing retaining compound. It will hold better than red, which is only strong on threaded connections. It's green, but don't confuse it for the Loctite threadlocker that's made for wicking into already threaded connections.
>>
Show the whole rifle, I inherited a WW2 Lee Enfield when my dad moved to Northern Ireland, once he found out I had managed to get hold of 2 x 7.62mm rounds he came back and drilled holes in the fucker and filed off the firing pin.

No worries, I sellotaped a bb to the primer of the 7.62, removed the projectile and fixed it to a long bow arrow and fired it at the garage wall.

Think i heard the brass case land in a neighbours garden.
>>
>>1207011
>this whole post

What the fuck is wrong with you and your family?
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (607KB, 2584x1336px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
607KB, 2584x1336px
Tried >>1206660 and everything went fine, the fit is pretty snug now. Put a bit of rocksett on it just to make sure it won't drift from now on.
Thanks, /diy/. I didn't think a board could be genuinely helpful.

>>1207011

Cool story, bro, but here you go.
>>
>>1206634
What you're going to have to do is make up a U shaped clamp with a couple of small bolts (3-4mm) coming in either side of the sight.
>Clean the surfaces with methylated spirits or acetone
>JB Weld on it- sets in about 30min
>Set the clamp up to front sight
>Set zero with a couple of shots, adjust the sight left-right or as required
>Let it dry

Probably will last next to forever
>>
>>1207053

I already re-zeroed it with a shim after the blade fell out and marked the position, all I needed was to get it to stay put permanently.
Not sure I could get JB weld where I live, but isn't that basically just two part epoxy? Doesn't matter now, anyway.
>>
>>1207103
Its a 2-part epoxy rated to about 250C and does really well on bonding metals
Takes a while to cure but its generally available in most countries for about $8-10
>>
>>1207103
>two part epoxy?

it's a high quality 2-part epoxy, that takes about 12 hours to cure. they might make good 2-part epoxies that cure in 5 minutes but I have never found one that was anything like JB weld.
>>
>>1207011
>7.62 in a lee-enfield
pls, enfields are .303

also your dad is a cuck
>>
>>1206634
/k/ here.
Ask nightime /k/ next time.
Silver solder or braze is of course best. But as you say that us not an option, your not far off with the idea you have.

Use soft lead to make a shim. To make it tight, and then solder it to the sight

Once you get it how you like it use rockset to "glue it in place"

Locktite is weakened by heat. Rockset is not.

Best option is lead shims, and then pin it in place.
>>
>>1207136
>muh day/k/are

I've been on /k/ since around 2007 and there never has been any significant difference.
It's not like NEET neckbeards go to bed at 22 and stop shitposting. Probably the opposite.

>Once you get it how you like it use rockset to "glue it in place"

I already did, after peening the bottom of the sight like >>1206660
suggested.
Rocksett is another thing that's a bitch to get in yurop, but I had some left over after muzzle brake installation.
>>
>>1206634
Stake it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

FROM BOTH SIDES!!!!!!
Please, hold your applause.
Also, if that doesn't work, try hammering a paper clip into a sort of shim, and wedging that in before staking it.

And just post a gunsmithing thread on /k/; there are those of us that'll at least TRY to help. There's always the kitbuilders.
>>
>>1206972
loctite 660 is suggested for parts with up to 20 thou of gap (for a machined part, 20 thou is looser than a mother of three)

desu the only thing that seperates 660 from JB weld is being anerobic cure instead of catalysed cure. they're both horrible bodger's glues, fast nasty fixes of last resort for machines going to auction.
>>
>>1207132
this retard might have had an Ishapore though.
>>
>>1208189
So you're saying it would be okay to use loctite 660 as lube with my wife say, once a month, and things will tighten up nicely?
>>
>>1206634
green loctite hardens in gaps up to 0.015" (a mile wide cavern)

if you wanted a permanent fit a type of loctite would be great.

will you encounter a problem heating the part up to apply some bronze braze?
>>
>>1207136
>Locktite is weakened by heat. Rockset is not.

not all loctite is temperature sensitive, plus his enfield probably won't get up to 400F
>>
>>1208189
nonsense, if you fuck up a hole for a press fit green loctite is wonderful.

it's also wonderful if you don't want to fuck with reaming the hole for a press fit in the first place, just drill it the same size as the rod and glue it in.

lazy, but effective.
>>
>>1206634
so...

peen the top of the front sight base downward and then peen the large portion of the sight dovetail

with contact at the top of the dovetail and at the bottom (peen both surfaces) it might stay in

of course then there might be some free space underneath it..
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.