[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Car Audio To start this off, I'm not looking to create

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: circuit board.jpg (139KB, 640x324px) Image search: [Google]
circuit board.jpg
139KB, 640x324px
> Car Audio

To start this off, I'm not looking to create a carputer. I have an EE degree but I am a software developer by profession so anything below I _could_ do.

I have an older subaru with a decent touch screen head unit that can hook up to an iPod and control it through the touch screen of the radio (this is the only reason I am going this route). I could just hook the iPod up and call i t a day but I find it a hassle (plus I don't use iTunes on any of my PCs) to unhook and load music.

I'd like to create a storage device that interfaces with the head units iPod controls. The pin outs for the old generation apple connectors is out there so this isn't going to be an issue.

> Storage
Any ideas on storage? Should I just go with a large SD card? I don't need a massive amount of space. Just enough for turn over

> High availability
I want the unit to turn on and be ready by the time the head unit has booted or right after. Rasbpis unless you gut one of the OS take ages to boot.

> Wifi
I'd like to be able to sync to a service I will create on my home network to update new music and remove music

> Microprocessor/Controller
Any thoughts on newer chips? I have two STMF4s (~2012), TI random controllers, and some other random things.

This doesn't need to be in a breakout board or something like a raspbi/arduino. I can do circuit design and pcb design.
>>
>>1206576
SD card is ideal for embedded because you don't have to deal with host usb shit, saying that its becoming more and more commonly supported in smaller devices.
What you need to consider is the audio conversion, typically with a small micro you need an external chip to convert mp3 for example to audio. Maybe you could do it in software if you don't value your time or sanity.
> WiFi update
I don't know what to say to this, I was with you the whole way but this kind of boils my piss.

> iPod
You don't need iTunes for iPods, I have a Linux box in the garage for obd2 and its happy to talk to an old iPod that I interfaced with a head unit with a pic pretending to be a cd changer.

I would figure out the ipod if I were you, if you fancy a fuck around then just connect a pi or some shit into the battery so its always on. Find out what your alarm draws to compare, it's going to be peanuts, car won't care.
>>
>>1206587
Why does wifi updating/syncing bother you?
>>
VLSI VS1011b for decoding
>>
>>1206576
>ipod
>itunes
Red chair software.

For bigger storage I'd go with an android tablet with an SD card. Would satisfy everything and you can program in your controls and whatever you want if you can Java.

Or just get a deck that's basically an android tablet, lots of this on eBay. This is the easiest way to go.
>>
>>1206576
you want a "storage device" but with ipod controls and wifi? I'm not sure I understand, anon.
do you need mp3 playback?
I gather its connected by the old apple proprietary connector but i dont know its capabilities

I had a problem in my car after I sold the cd changer, all I had was a tape deck and no tapes.
fixed that by gutting the stereo and connecting the buttons on the front to a cheap mp3 decoder board which output to the amp
not even close to what you're looking for, is it.

if you don't need playback on the board and can get usb you might just be able to use a zsun wifi card reader with a suitably sized sd card

the apple connector is really throwing me here
>>
Check out the ar9331 modules, they are designed for small routers and iot devices, very quick startup compared to aspie, there is no practical way to get that much data over WiFi to a micro like an stm32 so you gotta step it up.

I think you can either stick a tiny USB soundcard or and spi/i2s DAC on it for the audio out
>>
If I'm understanding you right, I did exactly what you want to do. I took an old iPod touch with a bad battery (free) hooked it to the iPod connector, and threw it up in the dash with some 2 sided tape. Battery will stay on standby for 3 days, but if I snap daily it will load up instantly as soon as you select a song. It's the easiest way and iPods are cheap since nobody wants them anymore
>>
>>12069176
Never mind I seemed to skip over the part where you didn't want to use an iPod, but it's honestly the easiest and most trouble free way, you can even use a different music app (I use Amazon music) and set it as your default music app.
>>
File: 1471684318133.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471684318133.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>>1206576
How about ESP8266 with NodeMCU?
> Storage
SD card adapters and file systems are available.
> High availability
NodeMCU is lightweight and boots basically instantly. If you would prefer to leave it running, standby power consumption is fairly low.
> Wifi
An ESP8266 specialty, station or AP mode. Can even set up AP mode in case you want to load from whatever device is handy. Some modules even have U.FL connectors for your own antenna, if range is insufficient.
> I can do circuit design and pcb design.
They typically come in castellated modules with a smallish flash onboard. You solder them onto a motherboard.
You could handle the heavy audio lifting with some small ARM running bare-metal or RTOS. faad/vorbis/lame can be built with some micro libc like newlib, with a bit of routing to tie them together, create pleasant beeps for use feedback, maybe crossfade.
>>
I'd substitute SD for SSD
>>
>>1206598
i guess because you said it would take time to boot a pi, so it's only on with your ignition.
so you want to leave your car running and what nip inside to copy files?

unless your use case is you want to put files on a mobile first then copy them to your car when you get there? seems fiddly to me but hey fill your boots.
>>
>>1206930
You can stream mp3 with this but it's not straightforward. This is shown on YouTube.
>>
>>1206576
Whats the budget, O.P.?

I got an old ipod 5.5 gen and new front case parts from ebay, an mSATA adaper from Tarkan, and a 512gb mSATA drive and made a nice solid-state ipod.

I use MediaMonkey to copy files to it. With the standard Apple firmware cannot play some lossless codecs but the car audio system isn't that great anyway.

I liked it so much I did the same thing for the wife but made it look all nice and new with parts from ebay.

Works perfectly in the car and no having to screw around and code/bodge hardware. If I was to do it again I'd shoot for a terabyte.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.