[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ need some tool advice. I need a clamp meter that records

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Occulus rift.png (47KB, 730x290px) Image search: [Google]
Occulus rift.png
47KB, 730x290px
Hey /g/ need some tool advice. I need a clamp meter that records the max inrush current on a motor. Cheap but accurate would be preferable. I had one of those el cheapo harbor freight clamps but it was horribly inaccurate. Somewhere in a quarter of an amp accuracy as in 12.3 actual and it reads somewhere around 12.1-12.5. IS this possible under 50 bucks? Recommendations?
>>
>>1206297
>clamp meter
>inrush current
check out mr moneybags! money to burn over here!
>50$
oh, never mind, just a retard.
>>
>>1206301
Eat a dick. I've seen some sub 50 dollar units with good reviews on amazon that have the feature, just looking for some input on anyone that had luck with them. You sound like a salty little bitch, anon. Eat something. Like a dick.
>>
>>1206319
>>1206301

please return to reddit, both of you
>>
>>1206319
ok then guy, enlighten me.
what do you need to measure the max inrush for?
>>
>>1206330
maybe hes hooking it up to an inverter and it'll handle regular load just fine, not the inrush

do you have a multimeter with max/min already? there are cheaper clamp attachments you can buy than a complete clamp meter.
>>
>>1206338
Bingo and yes I do have a multimeter and i have a clamp meter. I need the inrush so i can find the right appliances. Running a house on a 2000 watt inverter. A good one but lets say my refrigerator surges while its already at 1200 watts, i may trip it.
>>
>>1206403
Why do you need a clamp meter? If you have a multimeter that can read AC volts RMS and responds quickly, consider just buying a big resistor like http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Johanson-Dielectrics/RWCSG4Q000R1FS/ mounting it to a decent heat sink, placing it in series with the equipment, measuring voltage across, and multiplying by 10.
>>
>>1206414
Because inrush current is literally a tenth of a second. Even though i could do that i still couldn't see fast enough to read it.
>>
File: ghiii.png (59KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
ghiii.png
59KB, 800x480px
>>1206415

This is why god invented oscilloscopes. Buy one if you can afford it even if you think you will seldom use it.

Lots of crazy shit goes on when you flip a switch. Usually nothing bad happens.
>>
>>1206297
A meter, no. Not made for it.

But a CT at the right ratio and a scope will give you what you want for max cheapness.

You could cobble an old clamp meters instrument and put it on a scope but your mileage may vary.

I am curious why you give a fuck about the inrush. This is usually 9-12 times FLA who's characteristic will be depended upon the impedance of the system.

In other words what could you possibly find valuable from that shit?
>>
>>1206403
>>1206695

Answering my own question, I now ask OP if he knows what the instantaneous capability is of his inverter.
>>
>>1206297
Why are you so worried about the inrush? I'd be more interested to see what FLA will be over a period of time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.