[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your element collections I know I'm not the only one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Collection 7 8 2017.jpg (1MB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Collection 7 8 2017.jpg
1MB, 2000x1125px
Post your element collections
I know I'm not the only one

some of the ones not in the image are bismuth, sulfur, nickel, carbon, etc etc
>>
Cool man. Why do you collect these?Everyone should know more about chemistry.
>>
File: 701.jpg (26KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
701.jpg
26KB, 400x562px
>>1205997
Without a cool periodic table display with tiny vials with a little element amount in each is not as interesting.
>>
File: pure fucking tungsten, son.jpg (184KB, 1450x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pure fucking tungsten, son.jpg
184KB, 1450x1600px
>>1206020
Thanks. I have an autistic passion about the elements and the periodic table. I attach a magnet to my cobalt samples and marvel at their ferromagnetism everyday.

I gotta find some more of tungsten, which is my favorite element.
>pic related, but not mine
>>
>>1206042
When I was a machinist, someone showed me a tungsten pushrod for an injection mold. It was the first time I had handled tungsten, and was very taken aback as to how rigid and solid it feels. The rod was probably only .100 thick, but could not be bent by the hands. Real interesting world we live in where the average individual will never touch some of these common items for others.
>>
>>1206059
Exactly, every time I hold a tungsten sample it's a shock. It's 1.7 times denser than lead and immensely tough, plus has the highest true melting point of all elements. It's the king of the periodic table

I wish I could get to have some properly sized osmium or iridium samples but 31 grams of them is 800+ dollars for christ sakes
>>
>>1205997
i have like 20 lbs of aluminum ingots i made, thats about it
>>
>>1206083
That's great, man. I am thinking of getting into aluminium smelting as well. I need to build a new foundry though, my old one is beat up from zinc smelting and steel tempering

any tips on making one that doesn't heat up so asymmetrically and uneven?
>>
>>1206098
not really, i just arbitrarily built mine without a plan. used a small helium tank and glued some ceramic blanket to it with furnace cement. just large enough for i think its a #6 crucible so it heats up pretty evenly. just has 1 pipe burner coming in on the side. only thing i can imagine is offsetting the burner so it spins the fire inside the furnace rather than pointing it right at one side of the crucible. maybe use 2 if its large enough.
>>
>>1206106
I currently use charcoal fire with two blowdriers since I need to get a new propane tank. I couldn't heat up the high carbon steel with the propane so I gave up on it but maybe I was doing something wrong.

A friend of mine talked me into making an induction heater. I gotta look into that as well
>>
>>1205997
I used to have some really heavy rods in the garage, they were about the same size as a roll of kitchen foil but needed two hands to lift because they were just so heavy for their size.

No idea what they were.
>>
>>1207805
Ur moms dildo xd
>>
>>1207805

They were lead, I just about guarantee. Nothing else that that dense would have any business being just lying around randomly in a house, as it would be some combination of valuable (tungsten, tantalum), insanely valuable (gold, palladium, rhodium, iridium, platinum), and radioactive (a surprising number of elements more dense than lead).
>>
>>1206098
>smelting

My autism is triggered.

"Smelting" is refining metals from raw ore, not just a fancy word for "melting metal".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.