[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a manual meat grinder for cheap at a flea market. Insides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: x.jpg (105KB, 1500x775px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
105KB, 1500x775px
I got a manual meat grinder for cheap at a flea market. Insides are greasy from previous use, and I wonder what's the easiest method to clean it.

I thought of NaOH, but it's made of aluminium.

Ideas?
>>
>>1205958
cheapest, safest - dish soap, sponge, & labor

are you sure it's aluminum? all the hand meat grinders i've seen are cast iron (all the parts)
>>
>>1205958
>NaOH
use this >>1205961
and to be sure put it in boiling water to BTFO all the bacteria
>>
>>1205961
>>1205964
I think it alu, not sure though. I once had a similar one, and it got fucked up in the dishwasher, just like alu

I soaked it in almost boiling water for about an hour now and scrubbed it with a little steelbrush and soap

Annoying are just the little corners which you cannot reach
>>
>>1206030
I really doubt it's aluminum, but buy a long scrub brush. Commercial places just soak the parts in detergent overnight, but just scrubbing them is fine.
>>
>Buy degreaser
>Soak in degreaser
>Wash normally
>>
>>1205958
hobbie butcher fag here, just use a steel wool and some hot water and soap, it will take a while but after that it only needs a wipe down after use.
>>
>>1206031
>>1206039
>>1206043
Thanks guys. I got rid of most junk and will give it a second run tomorrow. Until then it'll soak in dish soap water
>>
>>1206046
So do you want to actually get into butchering or did you just pick it up because it was cheap?
>>
>>1205961>>1206030>>1206031
I scrap a lot of metal and clean our foreclosures. I've turned in 2-3 aluminum ones myself
>>
>>1206049
I do some every year. Canned meat like every year, every two or so sausages (air-dried). Maybe I'll try sausages which need to be cooked this year.
>>
>>1206057
Didn't know that. Cool.
>>
An old method for storing meat grinders was to coat them in a light oil, it is usually just olive oil or an other readily available cooking oil to prevent rust. Hot soapy will do the trick. Id also suggest sharpening up the cutter.
>>
>>1206792
Olive oil goes rancid, doesn't it?
>>
>>1207897
Any edible oil will go rancid exposed to air, heat and time
>>
>>1207905
Mineral oil is ``edible'' too, and should work.
>>
>>1207897
If you prepare food on a wooden cutting board then your already consuming small ammounts of rancid or unedible oil.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>1208158
>If you prepare food on a wooden cutting board then your already consuming small ammounts of rancid or unedible oil.

Wrong and wrong. Mineral oil + bees wax are both edible and neither goes rancid. WTF is up with this recent shitposting against wooden cutting boards? Every culture in the world has been using wooden butcher blocks since the beginning of time yet we're still here.
>>
>>1208192
It's two threads, but I kind of agree with you. I will say that part of the deal is that butcher's blocks are mainly used for meat that's going to be cooked, so the part that touches the wood will instantly be heated to a safe temperature. And they sanitize them way more than your average cook or homeowner. In general, it's smart to have one board for raw meat and one for vegetables/fruits that will be cut then eaten raw.
>>
>>1206030
Simple, check it with a magnet. I think you remember early years of education to tell you which is which.
>>
>>1205964
>bacteria
>being BTFO by something as puny as boiling water
>what is sporulation
>what is clostridium
>what is bacillus

If you want to be absolutely sure you must set the thing on fire. Not even radiation kills these things
>>
>>1208508
Although bacteria can be pathogens they mostly aren't.
>>
>>1208525

The bacteria are harmless
but clostridiums can produce toxins that can very much kill people if eaten
>>
Give it the ol vinegar soak.
>>
>>1205958
Aluminum wheel acidiser froma truck or chrome shop.

Be sure and nutralize it after.
>>
>>1208192
And why do you think we used and still use wood? Because its cheap and doesn't wear out knives and axes in comparison to alternatives.
Can you imagine cutting on stone or metal board? You would have to sharpen your tools every minute or two. Also, it would be more expensive, especially in the past.
Nowadays you can buy plastic cutting boards that are cheap and dont dull your knives too much, but honestly fuck this shit, I dont need toxic chemicals from cheap Chinese cutting boards in my food, I get my daily dose from other shit already.
>>
>>1208508
So, do nothing?
Retard.
>>
File: Jorg123-500x500.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Jorg123-500x500.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
Brush washer.
>>
>>1208602
>Can you imagine cutting on stone or metal board?

My old roommates had 2 pieces of marble or granite that they brought with them when they moved in to use as cutting boards. Within a week all of my knives were too dull to slice tomatoes. Shit made me furious.
>>
>>1205958
Nothin fancy anon, i use hot soapy water to rinse out the remains of my homeless victims before putting the grinder away. a pressurized hose gets into those annoying corners and prevents any smells from forming. Dawn dish soap + hot water and you're good to go!
>>
>>1210317
>roomates having access to anything at all of yours

Locked boxes with padlocks, fridge locks, and cabinet door/drawer locks are a thing.
>>
>>1210344
>needing 4 fridges in a house
>everyone pays a higher electricity bill because you're paranoid
>>
>>1210317
My girlfriend has a glass cutting board she loves for some reason. She isn't allowed to use my good knives, period. Seems most people I know are perfectly happy using crap steak knives for kitchen work anyways, that's what she does.
>>
>>1205958
PBW or oxyclean. They are meant to break down organics but require a lot of rinsing as they leave a film
>>
>>1205958
The traditional way to clean a meat grinder is to rinse and wash it, of possible, and then run oats through it. They are a mild abrasive and will help polish and clean the interior surfaces, while also being extremely easy to remove afterwards. And make sure you oil the parts that rub against each other after every use, or it WILL rust really badly.
>>
Other traditionnal way is to use white vinegar and alcoohol, the vinegar destroy lots of shit like blood and rotten flesh, the alcoohol add a disinfectant and with standart soap after that you would be fine
>>
>>1205958
Butane
>>
>>1206031
My grandma and others in my family had aluminum ones. Each time you take it out you have to run dough or something else through it a bunch of times before you really use it. The initial stuff comes out all grey from the aluminum oxide
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.