[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd ask the following question on /o/ as it is car related,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1fb.png (340KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
1fb.png
340KB, 600x583px
I'd ask the following question on /o/ as it is car related, but the board is mostly just shitposting, with no useful help.

When I press my brakes, my steering wheel pulls left a few degrees, and the car vibrates a bit. There's also a subtlewhirring sound from the front left wheel. It's been doing this for over a year, and I want to fix it as it's now my DD. Here's a list of things I've tried:

>replaced both the front wheel bearings 10 months ago, can't remember if it was better or worse after this as I wasn't driving it much.

>had a front wheel alignment a month ago, very noticeable improvement

>installed new brake pads/rotors/flush brake fluid last week, no noticeable effect

>swapped my wheels with another set today to make sure it wasn't unbalanced wheels. The set I installed are 17", I was running 15". They're a lot heavier, and make the vibration noticeably worse, and the whirring sound is different.

I'm under the impression that it could still be the front left wheel bearing (I installed them myself), and I can go exchange it. I have searched Google, but most people think it's everything I've already tested, and I don't have money to be throwing around. It's a 1995 Miata, non ABS, rear wheel drive.

What do?
>>
Also to clarify, I replaced the front wheel bearings because the left one was making a sound when turning. That sound was fixed by replacing the bearings, but I think the new one might have failed prematurely.
>>
>>1204947
>but the board is mostly just shitposting
haahha and /diy isnt?

anyway, could the left caliper (or right for that matter) be messed up?

messed up CV joint?
>>
>>1204951
Well I hope neither caliper is busted. Outside of the bleeding nipples *snickers* being slightly rounded, they both function, and I greased the guide pins when I did the brake pads/rotors.

It's rear wheer drive, no CV joints up front.
>>
File: 1498452590219.jpg (59KB, 574x863px) Image search: [Google]
1498452590219.jpg
59KB, 574x863px
>>1204947
For the steering wheel pull check the condition of the front suspension and steering components. Look for worn out control arm bushings and or ball joints worn out. As for the wirring a slightly locked caliper could be the issue (this is also a possible source of the steering wheel pull). It may still be the bearing as well, ive gotten bad bearings before especially Timkens from Autozone. source ASE Master Tech
>>
>>1204947
Rotors are warped. Take them to a parts store and have them turned or just replace them, works every time.
>>
>>1204951
Have you ever even been to /o/?
>>
>>1204954
One of the bearing is a Timkens, the other one is imported from Japan Mazda (less than half the price).

When I did my brakes, I cleaned the guide pins, greased them, and then slid them up and down to grease them, and they didn't seem to bind.

When I swapped the wheels today, I pulled the hub assembly in each direction to feel for play, and everything was nice and tight. The steering rack moved slightly as I pushed and pulled, but I could see the other side moving too.

I guess there's no harm in replacing the ball joints and control arm bushings, as I can do it for under $200. I'll take a look tomorrow, and see if it's an issue.

Unfortunately, someone got into my car last year, and stole my prescriptions sunglasses ($400, but useless to anyone because of my bad sight), an empty can of deodorant and electric toothbrush (stayed overnight somewhere) and my owners manual with over 20 years worth of receipts, so I don't know when any of this work was last done.

Because I replaced both my front bearings at the same time, one of them is still good, but they both have a fair amount of play, so I can't tell which one. It would be convenient if I know which one was good so I could check if it's just a bearing issue.
>>
>>1204956
#1 desu, I've never come across a set of warped rotors.

#2 it's a new set of rotors, and hasn't really changed

#3 I also swapped rotors and loosened/retorqued my wheel bearing when I did my wheels this morning.

Definitely not a rotor issue. I'm trying all the free things I can.
>>
Try bleeding the calipers. You may have some air in one of them and they are not pressing evenly when you push the brake.
>>
>>1204964
you can get warped rotors right out of the box. some shitty rotors can also warp pretty quick from heat.

the vibration could also be a caliper issue and if so the pads and rotor on that side are now fucked too
>>
I actually d/d a 1995 Miata right now too. Based on the information in the thread, I would suspect a brake line or proportioning valve issue or a faulty caliper on one side or the other. Bad wheel bearings would probably cause vibration/pulling under more situations than just braking.

My money is on something hydraulic. It never hurts to check for loose or worn front end parts, but they usually do that for you when an alignment is performed. At a full stop, turn the wheel a few degrees left and right and listen for any noises/clunking sounds from the steering gear. Sometimes you can't feel anything when you're just pushing on the wheels with the car in the air, but there can still be problems.

It's possible to replace the entire hub assembly on Miatas as well, if you're at wits end. They do tend to crap out under really hard driving, especially with oversized wheels and/or race tires.

I've owned 3 Miatas over the years and gone through the brakes on two of them. It's a real pain in the dick to change those front pads, isn't it?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.