[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you don't know what Soylent is already, it's a powdered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12

File: 91vmO2zB5TL._SL1500_.jpg (326KB, 1355x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91vmO2zB5TL._SL1500_.jpg
326KB, 1355x1500px
If you don't know what Soylent is already, it's a powdered food substitute. Measure it out with a spoon, mix it up, drink it for lunch. I want to make a machine that will automate the measuring, and maybe the mixing later on.

My plan is to have a small 8 segment display and a few buttons to allow a certain number of calories of Soylent to be selected. Once the selection is made, the machine pours the powder onto a scale until the right weight is on it, based on the nutrition information. Typically this is around 109g for one meal, which has a volume of half a cup or so.

The electronics side will be done with a PIC microcontroller, some basic IO stuff, and pressure sensors to measure weight. The main issue is going to be slowly dispensing powder. The existing powder dispensers I've seen are for biomedical companies who need microgram precision and are way outside my budget. So my thought is to use something like the food dispensers in the picture, and have the crank be attached to a motor. Issues that I can foresee with this are:
>powder dispensed in too granular of a quantity, e.g. one compartment of the waterwheel-like mechanism holds 30g, can't dispense a partial compartment, so I'll be over- or undershooting
>hard to attach the motor, since I'm not a mechanical guy

Anyone have any thoughts? Are my fears unfounded? Is there a better way?
>>
File: 1495120884957.jpg (30KB, 750x573px) Image search: [Google]
1495120884957.jpg
30KB, 750x573px
>>1204636
just eat normal food like a normal person
>>
Get a smaller dispenser hook the motor controller and the wheigth meassurement together. Programm it to do one material at a time build your mix from there.

Like material 1= 10g, 2= 10g 3=30g.

Start with Motor one Put in till you hit 10g start Motor 2 till 20g total mass and so on.

Should not be that hard to wire a Motor to your feeder boxes. Could propably try one of these electronic mills where you would just need to controll the on/off switch.
>>
Archimedes screw.
>>
File: people.jpg (28KB, 540x285px) Image search: [Google]
people.jpg
28KB, 540x285px
>>
>>1204636
>and pressure sensors to measure weight.
save yourself a ballache, shop scales can output weight via serial to the pos, interface to that.
if its powdered you could put it in a pepper grinder or some shit. benefit is its already food safe. diy'ing with just foodsafe materials can be tedious.
>>
>>1204698
I need much more capacity than a pepper grinder. But maybe I could get an electric one and have a funnel or something feed into it from a larger container.
>>
>>1204679
Best post
>>
>>1204678
Is tough too because the food may clump irregularly and form a cavity above the screw so you have to smack it to make it drop.
>>
File: IMG_20160107_193050.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160107_193050.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
>>1204636

I like your thinking. But are you planning on making these 1-serving batches? Most Soylent mixes (the branded kind or DIY) need time to soak in water or they have weird consistency.

I make my own powder, let it soak in water overnight, and then use an immersion blender to mix in some olive oil, frozen fruit and parsley. It makes enough for 6 servings. I keep it all in a big glass pitcher. If I want a certain amount of calories, I just pour it into mason jars (I know how many calories per 100ml so unless I'm trying to get to autist levels of precision I can just eyeball the jar lines).

Seems like it would not only be easier but also end up with a better eating/drinking experience to just make 1-2 day batches and portion it out. Unless this is all just an excuse to build an electronic portioning system in which case nvm.

>pic related is my DIY soylent in cold storage...it's probably rotated but I don't know how to fix that
>>
>>1204753
>>1204636
But why not just have a burger?
>>
>>1204753
I need to be able to carry powder to campus so I can mix it with cold water on site. So measuring out two meals every day to put in a ziploc is a pain in the ass. I figure as long as I'm at it I'll add the ability to vend in 50 calorie increments so I can have, say, a light snack of 300 calories of food replacement slurry.

I haven't had any consistency problems. I use a blender bottle which has a nice agitator. Gets almost all the chunks out. At worst you'll notice a few grains.

>>1204761
Can you make a burger in 90 seconds, then eat it in 60?

Can you do it with a great Calories/dollar ratio?
>>
>>1204779
Mcds cheeseburger, made in less than 1 minute, eaten in less than 1 minute, 285 calories/dollar. Is that a decent c/$ ratio? That's about 7$/daily calorie requirement, sounds good to me.
>>
File: 1498247136632.jpg (96KB, 448x709px) Image search: [Google]
1498247136632.jpg
96KB, 448x709px
>>1204636
Soylent is missing a lot.You need whole plant foods for optimum nutrition.
>>
>>1204779
Why not make solid bars out of real food and bring water? It's what I do when I fly. 250 antioxidant-rich (what for minimizing damage from cosmic radiation) calories every 3-4 hours.
>>
>>1204804
To be completely honest, Mcds isn't real food and the nutrition information is a lie.
>>
>>1204821
Tastes better and is a better experience than fucking Soylent. As long as you plan out your macros and nutrients for your other two meals of the day, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>1204821
You really have no idea how the USDA operates or what they control, do you? This isn't /x/, Anon.
>>
>>1204679
came here to post this, you're a 5 star man
>>
>>1204808
That's debatable. While it's entirely possible we can discover some new level of nutrition, as far as we can tell, Soylent currently contains all known dietary requirements.
It's a huge step above the microwaved chicken tendies the majority of 4chan survives off of anyways.
>>
>>1204848
So would a potato and a glass of milk. Soylent is overpriced trash.
>>
>>1204848
Do you hate yourself? There are much more enjoyable ways to get your daily macros and nutrients. Food is one of the best things on this planet and you choose to give it up because you're a lazy sack of shit.
>>
>>1204745
A vibrator motor should fix that, although it might be annoying. Perhaps program it to only run the vibrator if it doesn't detect a weight increase on the scale for a few seconds while the screw is turning.
>>
>>1204868
Too add: Assuming you're using some kind of hopper, have a weakly spring loaded flap at the bottom of it to detect if there is no powder passing through. Then have a vibrator trigger off that.
>>
>>1204636
Ditch the idea of a weight sensor to weigh out powder. Hot drinks machines that use instant powder have a hopper mechanism that dispenses a roughly fixed amount of powder with each turn. Either make one or trawl the internet for broken machines you can take the mechanism from. To get your 100+ grams of powder you will need to rig the electronics to make it turn more times per dispense but it shouldn't be that hard
>>
>>1204848
>Soylent currently contains all known dietary requirements.
The parts of food that you pass out are still important for your body.
The structural parts of plants and other food are important to maintain healthy digestion for instance.
Surviving on powdered meals will cause havoc with your gut flora and then when you decide to break your liquid diet and have a burger your system won't be able to handle it and you'll be firing liquid shit from your ass.
>>
>>1204889
what if it had dry yeast that activates when you add water
>>
>>1204905

Then it still would not have things you do not digest completely but still help your digestive flora.
>>
>>1204848
Food is more than just macros, minerals, vitamins. Have a look at some of the tens of thousands of nutrition papers published each year and you'll see many about that other stuff. Lots are on NCBI instead of behind paywalls.
>>
Can we get back on topic here? I'm trying to automate my slop, not eat actual food.
>>
File: 120 pounds.png (180KB, 768x1656px) Image search: [Google]
120 pounds.png
180KB, 768x1656px
>>1205009
You should find easier ways to eat actual food. What I have for breakfast each morning (not always with the melon, sometimes water or squash) is all this put in a blender and poured onto 1/2 cup oats + 1 cup boiling water, with nutmeg or ceylon cinnamon and a tablespoon peanut butter.
>>
>>1205018
Cups, tablespoons, grams, all mixed together? Not weighing everything anyway? What are you doing nigger? Come back when you're serious about cooking and eating.
>>
>>1205029
It's standard practice to mix cups and spoons, and they're close enough for everything but the watermelon chunks which aren't any kind of free-flowing. I use grams for baking, but that kind of precision isn't needed for this. It's all done out of habit. Remembering a series of numbers would be far more difficult and take longer to measure.
>>
File: cat girl (male) helper.jpg (253KB, 682x682px) Image search: [Google]
cat girl (male) helper.jpg
253KB, 682x682px
>>1204636
>Soylent measuring system
Just have your dom do it for you, femboi.
>>
>>1204821
>McD's isn't real food
Neither is your xenoestrogen powder you bugman.
>>
stay tuned folks, now that the tendie supply issue is fixed OP will try to attach a tube in his ass so he can shitpost virtually 24/7
>>
I find the best way to make use of food preparation is not eat at all
>>
Soylent shills need to be banned from this site
>>
>>1206820

You realize "soylent" has always been a generic term, right? Just because a guy put a trademark on it doesn't mean everyone is now referring specifically to that one product.
>>
>>1204636
Real food is more nutritious, cheaper, and tastes better.
>>
>>1204810
Wat
>>
>>1205018
What app is that??
>>
Huel is better, it uses part (or all) of the old recipe which has no soy. Don't want to start growing tits because you decided to replace most of your diet with Soylent. I normally had 1000 C worth a day, but I wouldn't go higher than that with the new recipe (usually studies show up to about 50g of protein-equivalent soy a day is safe, 100g isn't)

Ironically enough a company like 5 years ago made an estrogen-less soy, but they silently went out of business. I legitimate think it was a conspiracy because it would have made soy a literally perfect vegetarian protein.
>>
>>1206862
cronometer
Lots of data is missing/wrong.
>>
>>1204889
Soylent has 90% soluble fiber ya dingus. Ya want indigestible fiber just eat some grass.
>>
>>1204810
What planets do you fly to Space Cadet?
>>
>>1206833

>quality
>convenience
>taste
>price

You can't have all of these things, so every food choice is some compromise among them. Soylent is like if you made fast food much more nutritious, somewhat cheaper and more convenient, and a decent bit less good-tasting. Obviously if you grew vegetables in your garden and raised chickens in a pesticide-free environment and hand-cooked everything, you'd have a great meal, but it's an enormous pain in the ass that some people would rather not deal with.
>>
>>1204779
step 1. buy bulk rice, automate a machine that cooks 3 days of rice at a time every 3 days then chuck it in tupperware
step 2. bulk pickle carrots and some other kind of vegetable, pour layer of that over rice
step 3. not be a lazy shit, cook 3 days worth of chicken every 3 days, dice and pour layer of that over rice and vegetables
step 4. add a multi
step 5. stop playing video games and you'll realize you have way more time to cook and take care of everything else in your life
step 6. get a wife who will cook and then you have even more time to focus on your career and shit
>>
>>1207203
Oh wait.... An automatic machine that cooks rice... Like some sort of... Rice cooker... Fuck OP this sounds impossible you should just keep eating your estrogen and mercury loaded zog chow that tastes like shit
>>
>>1207207
Even more ideas:
>go buy a 20 dollar crock pot from the wall mart
>every couple of days chuck some vegetables, some meat, and some kind of broth in there before you go to work
>come home, have one serving fresh, dump the rest in Tupperware and freeze
>you have easily a week's worth of deep frozen soup, pot roast, or whatever the fuck you want
My parents used to do this to make chicken and spetzel soup, or chili, or minestrone. It takes maybe a half an hour of work but you get a lot of genuinely nutritious meals really cheap and they keep for a long time.
What I do also for those times where I don't want to eat out, I don't have anything to bring, I just buy a crate of milsurp rations for 40 bucks and chuck them in my car. Or, if you like, you can keep a few microwavable meals like spaghettios or tuna or something in your car or your bag for emergencies where you haven't cooked.
>>
>>1207207

Why does this trigger you so much? Do you sperg out like this when someone buys premade clothing instead of sewing it from hand-spun fabric?
>>
>>1207216
>triggered
Says the guy who's pissed when someone is offering an alternative to Soylent. By all means, go ahead though. The lifestyle stuff like that is meant to cater to is more harmful to your health than anything you'll do eating fried food occasionally.
>>
>>1204779
Why eat fibers anyway, èh, am I rite?
>>
they sell soylent in bottles that is already mixed. your machine is never going to pay for itself
>>
Not saying op isn't an idiot, but I do sympathise with him.
Cooking for the week every Monday was gigantic pain in the ass and took like three hours to do. Killed most of my night. Used to make a fuckton of chicken, ground beef and rice every week and eat it for lunch and dinner. OP you're better off with cup ramen and Quaker oatmeal.
>>
>>1207222

Wrong. I'm not mad. I guess I'm confused and disappointed by the ignorance of people in this forum of all forums. It probably stems partially from the continued assertion that we're talking about one particular product instead of just general DIY nutritive slurry, and that wanting to eat said slurry occasionally is some kind of character flaw.

And of course, it's all irrelevant to OP's question. He didn't come here asking people to convince him to not eat soylent.
>>
>>1207298
What was your meal plan, if you don't mind my asking? If you're willing to compromise on your menu there's options abound that require almost no labor on your part, if you're willing to Invest in some equipment.
A 20 dollar rice cooker at Walmart has lasted about 3 years so far for me, and makes enough rice for 10 servings at a time. Ditto for a crock pot, but I bet you could find a used huge one at a thrift store for ten bucks. Invest in some good Tupperware, and either a good lunchbox or if you're willing to shell out, a zojirushi meal canister. I make the following weekly and it takes about an hour of active work, most of which is spent loosely chopping carrots or potatoes, and then frying meat in a wok.
Salted rice with chicken and pickled vegetables
A chunk of a baguette hollowed out with stew/curry/chili inside it (commonly called "bunny chow" in South Africa)
Chickpeas/baked beans/whatever type of plant protein on rice

And then I generally eat 1 military ration a week. Your problem is not making easily frozen entrees. If you make things easily frozen and reheatable, then instead of expending that time making one weeks worth of food, you can make 3.
>>
>>1207312
>board composed of poorfags, craftsmen, and crazy fags who appreciate manual work done by yourself, a nice meal being the purest form of this
> op wants auto feeder because microwave tendies is too hard
what reaction did you expect?
>>
>>1204779
In what world do you need to eat a meal in 2.5 minutes?

I mean, shit. If you really hate preparing and enjoying the ritual of a well-cooked meal then why not ask a doctor to install a feeding tube straight to your gut?
>>
I saw a documentary about soylent on youtube, there were rats running around on the floor in their warehouse. Bags were broken and the soylent was on the floor. There were no hygiene..
>>
>>1207453
Nothing was cooled down, operation was ran by 2 men in their early 20's. Ratpoop on floor. They just repacked from large bags they bought from some industry. I was interested until I saw their modus operandi. It was filthy.
>>
File: IMG_20170711_091122.jpg (884KB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_091122.jpg
884KB, 5312x2988px
Rat, Soylent is considered a supplement by FDA so the filthy factory don't need any approval or inspection. If you eat soylent , look at first hit on youtube it's filthy.
>>
>>1207457

3 years ago
>>
>>1207473
Might represent today's situation as well. Why would you trust this proven faggot company?

Well, it's not like eating some rat poop is guaranteed or even very likely to make you sick...
>>
>>1207482
I'm not interested in Soylent and don't care, but condemning a company or person forever because of past transgression is very progressive of you.
>>
>>1207497
There's very little incentive to trust them and practically no way to verify whether they have fixed their shit. It boils down to how much you want that particular company's product and how averse you are to eating rat shit. It shouldn't come as a surprise that lifestyle products like this are very sensitive to tarnished reputation.
>>
Op, have you considered just making the drink in bulk and having one of those huge jugs with a tap full of it?

And what's wrong with making smoothies?
>>
>>1207440

Again, you don't understand. Soylent can be DIY. OP hasn't really made it clear whether he's buying the prepackaged stuff or not. But even if he is buying it, he's still DIYing at least part of the process. (Granted, no one's shitting on him for that aspect.)

Is it DIY to make a seasoning mix out of prepackaged store-bought spices, and keep it in a jar? That's literally what DIY soylent is like, except instead of spices it's like flour, protein powder, salt, etc.

Maybe I'm just projecting because I make soylent and feel like I'm kind of defending myself in all this.
>>
>>1207531
Before 2013, Soylent has referred to the non-fiction stuff made from humans. Since 2013, it has always meant soylentâ„¢ specifically, not a generic term for a meal replacement powder.

Your comparison is invalid because people don't make Spice Mixâ„¢ or McCormick, they make a literal spice mix.
>>
>>1205018
What is the daily cost of that? I can just eat three potatoes and take a once a day multivitamin
>>
>>1207212
There's hunter stew which is just a Crock-Pot with stuff thrown in it. Contents never being emptied and the Crock-Pot never being turned off.
>>
>>1207534
My daily average budget is $6 but I usually spend less than that. Multivitamins are pretty worthless because they're formulated to not cause overdose on top of any probable diet, there's lots of stuff not in them, and some nutrients can have different effects when taken out of context not with the foods they usually occur in.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/multivitamins/
>>
>>1207624
I take multi vitamins just to cover my B vitamins and a touch of everything else to add on to my diet
>>
>>1207322
It was a sack of frozen uncooked chicken tenders, baked with salt pepper and spices, several cups of rice in a cooker, and a pound of ground beef in a skillet. I'd chop up the chicken, and then bag everything. Lunch was chopped chicken and rice with gravy and canned baked beans, dinner was a burrito made with the beef, cheese and refried beans. In between I'd just eat a fajita size tortilla if I got hungry. Breakfast was store brand instant oatmeal, a lot of it.

Now I rely on ready-to-heat cooked shredded beef and frozen tortellini with meat sauce. Breakfast is still oatmeal.
>>
File: Kudaketan.jpg (19KB, 363x405px) Image search: [Google]
Kudaketan.jpg
19KB, 363x405px
>>1204636
>proprietary food
Not even once
>>
>>1204636
>glyphosate is extremely damaging to the human endocrine system and has long term side effects not unlike other petrochemicals... This is a reminder to buy organic or die in agonizing pain because you wanted to save a few(very few) sheckles.
>>
>>1204848
>Soylent currently contains all known dietary requirements.
Not eating solids will fuck up your digestive tract regardless of nutrients.

Also, you will become a jawlet.
>>
>americans voluntarily embrace dystopia without coercion

jesus christ
>>
File: ed9bffa3407d732cca2dca9a00faacff.jpg (1022KB, 936x1509px) Image search: [Google]
ed9bffa3407d732cca2dca9a00faacff.jpg
1022KB, 936x1509px
>>
>>1204663
literally impossible

normal food = a million dollarinos
>>
>>1208740
>rice, beans and vegetables
>expensive
>>
>>1204636
>willing eating the poorman's gruel

You realize in the future meat will be expensive and rare, especially meat from an actual anime
>>
>>1208772
>meat from an actual anime
>>
>>1207533
>it has always meant soylentâ„¢ specifically, not a generic term for a meal replacement powder

That's absolutely false. Soylent with a capital 'S' is the brand name, while soylent with a lower-case 's' is the poorly-differentiated generic name for DIY nutritive slurry. OP seems to be capitalizing so he's probably buying the Soylent brand mix.
>>
>>1207482
You saw video evidence of one rat and you don't want their food any more - man, I hope you never eat at McDonald's.
>>
>>1207482
Nearly everything has poop limits. Humans can digest all sorts of things. (See scat threads on /b/ if you doubt this!).

Don't eat candy....
>>
>>1204636
I ordered the real stuff.
Couldn't make it a week.
Tasted like paint and gave me stomach cramps.
Got my money back.
Just eat rice and beans if you don't care about taste.
>>
>>1207534
> I can just eat three potatoes and take a once a day multivitamin

>>1208972
>Just eat rice and beans

Why are these people not getting shit on by the anti-Soylent crew? These are both lacking in a variety of required nutrients.
>>
>>1208998
>These are both lacking in a variety of required nutrients.
Blanket bullshit statement.
>>
>>1206833
So humans can basically do everything better than nature... Except food somehow. Sure.
>>
>>1208661
Soylent is more like prechewed food than liquid. You think if you took your entire normal diet, but blended it up with a little water before drinking it would damage anything? What exactly do you think you mouth is doing besides polishing cocks?
>>
>>1208998
>These are both lacking in a variety of required nutrients.
What the fuck do you think SOYlent is made of you stupid cuck.
>>1209045
Thinking soylent is more than a recipe for food is ignorant.
Where do you think the ingredients come from?
Humans don't do shit and take credit for way too much.
>>1209049
Yeah because chewing a lump of tofu has the same serotonin dopamine response as a perfectly cooked beef tenderloin.
idiot.
>>
>>1204636
Soylent is PEOPLE you fucking monster
>>
>>1209058
soylent green is people... dolt
>>
>>1209049
>Soylent is more like prechewed food than liquid.
No, it's more like a smoothie.

>. You think if you took your entire normal diet, but blended it up with a little water before drinking it would damage anything?
It would be inferior. But soylent isn't a normal diet since it doesn't consist out of varied whole foods.
>>
>>1209056
Soy protein isolate is part of it.
Not the same, Gwenyth.
>>1209217
>inferior
If by inferior you mean the goddamn same nutritionally, sure.
>>
>>1209262
It isn't. You need variety and whole foods.

Don't let me stop you from drinking your dystopian cum bottles though.
>>
CAN SOMEONE JUST TELL ME WHAT IS THE SECRET OF SOYLENT GREEN?
>>
>>1208770
But that requires cooking, which requires time. He needs that time to go on 4chan and talk about how he wants to do more things himself
>>
File: autopetfeeder-large-detail.jpg (54KB, 400x478px) Image search: [Google]
autopetfeeder-large-detail.jpg
54KB, 400x478px
>>1204636
this is you. this is who you are
>>
>>1211076
We are all animals
>>
>>1208740
It always gets me when people fall for this "health food concentrate" crap. It's been through the same amount of processing as any other crap food. In no way is it a natural product.

>>1208770
this guys got it.
>>
File: 1476392189340.jpg (56KB, 751x751px) Image search: [Google]
1476392189340.jpg
56KB, 751x751px
The "good" bacteria in your intestines need fibers.

In the end you will get problems by only eating powdered shit.

People who only eat fast food also get problems.

You need to have a variety so don't eat the same shit every day.

No cooking time??? Veggies and meat can just be placed in an oven and you can do whatever you want and come back after 30 minutes and eat that shit.

Google some shit about reducing cooking time, FAGGOT
>>
Apparently /diy/ are not aware that one should always, ALWAYS, report Soylent threads. It's always advertising. Report, ignore, move on.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.